Treatment For Rubber Door Trim Seals ?

Gummi-Pflege. Sonax, Nextzett sell it.

I've been using it for years once I ran out of the BMW* product.

Seems to provide up to 6 months of coverage**

*BMW Gummi-Pflege was almost considered gold by enthusiasts. It was really good at treating rubber seals.

**Coverage measured as color transition from dark to light black.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Gummi-Pflege. Sonax, Nextzett sell it.

I've been using it for years once I ran out of the BMW* product.

Seems to provide up to 6 months of coverage**

*BMW Gummi-Pflege was almost considered gold by enthusiasts. It was really good at treating rubber seals.

**Coverage measured as color transition from dark to light black.

Yep. Gummi Pflege and Honda's Shin Etsu grease are considered the gold standards for treating seals.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I just use various brands of dashboard wipes … just got some Firestone wipes on clearance

* May not be a bad way to go - should work well on the odd angles for dressing the door seals .

Originally Posted by Jake_J
I've always used silicone spray and been really pleased with the results.

That's what I used for years - sprayed on a paper towel. Another BITOGer recommended silicone brake fluid and I like that even better.

I used to use Megs #40 but kept getting freezing issues here in cold and wet Michigan. Switched to a combination of silicone compound on a couple specific spots that like to squeak and super-lube silicone oil everywhere else and its been pretty flawless.

A mixture of white mineral oil and baby oil. Approx. 50:50. Apply heavy, let soak for some time - even days. Wipe off excess.

Cheapest possible material, lasts forever, protects and shines. Rubbers will never freeze on You.

Can also be used to freshen up and deep clean door sill covers made from plastic.

Markus

A mixture of white mineral oil and baby oil. Approx. 50:50. Apply heavy, let soak for some time - even days. Wipe off excess.

Cheapest possible material, lasts forever, protects and shines. Rubbers will never freeze on You.

Can also be used to freshen up and deep clean door sill covers made from plastic.

Markus
Wish I had known about the mineral oil. Just did some prep for my car as it now sits outside. Found this Superlube on Amazon and it worked well. Thicker than oil, but not super thick as a grease so it went on well. They sell it in larger containers, but I've done 2 vehicles prepping for winter both inside and outside rubber weatherstripping and still had some left over. You can see the difference it made in the photos and its still working and very water resistent. Only caveat I learned was that 'less is more'. If applied too heavily, it runs down onto the glass and smears when rained on or car is washed. Overall, I'm very pleased with it. Heck, its even food grade!!

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpeg
    IMG_2725.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2726.jpeg
    IMG_2726.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2727.jpeg
    IMG_2727.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2728.jpeg
    IMG_2728.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2730.jpeg
    IMG_2730.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 53

Markus
I used baby oil on my tonneau cover in 77. Isn’t it mineral oil?

What is your favorite liquid treatment for cleaning / nourishing the rubber door trim seals on your vehicles ?
Gummi Pflege Stift.
No joke. Sold on Amazon, it is a common product in the Alps. It softens the rubber and removes moisture, great for pre-winter preparation. I’ve used it for about fifteen years, with great results. No frozen doors, they always open. No wind or water leakage, and no hardening of the welting, as I think they call that rubber seal around the doors.
Makes a great Christmas gift even without gift wrapping.

Years ago I forgot to freeze proof the door deals before I went to Tahoe during ski season. I had a hard time getting the driver side door open in the morning. I'm a surfer and have always nipple balm (for rash protection!) in the glovebox. I improvised and put that on the door seals with good success. Chapstick should work in a pinch.

Back