So I asked the wife where she parked

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Chris142
Was she driving the galaxie or 32?

I only wished... She came across this meme last night and sent it over to me, we both had a chuckle.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
My dad's friend had that 59 wagon when I was a kid. It was one bizarre looking car I remember compared to my dad's 69 Kingsman wagon.

Kingsman? Was that the Her Majesty's Secret Service edition? Sure it wasn't a Kingswood (big Chevy Impala based wagon)? Those were everywhere when I was a kid, a few of them had BB Chevy engines in them...
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
59 Chevrolet? Ugly. And it only took three years to got from the best to the worst.

So 1956 was the best? or was it 2 years?

My dad had a sixty chevy for a work car when I was in high school. We called it "the batmobile". Real tank of a car with a 6 cylinder engine.

It had the 360 wrap around glass, flat top. If they had made that in a 2 door with the same top, it would be a collectible classic.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
59 Chevrolet? Ugly. And it only took three years to got from the best to the worst.

So 1956 was the best? or was it 2 years?

I liked the 56. 57 is more sought after but the 56 just seemed to have cleaner lines. Wish I still had one to tinker with. That's about all Hosteen can do anymore, tinker around in the garage.

Originally Posted by Burt
My dad had a sixty chevy for a work car when I was in high school. We called it "the batmobile". Real tank of a car with a 6 cylinder engine.

It had the 360 wrap around glass, flat top. If they had made that in a 2 door with the same top, it would be a collectible classic.

Same here. We had a reddish brown 4 door Biscayne with a 235 6 with a three-in-the-tree. Cool curved glass and those big sea gull wings out back.

Last edited:
I read years and years ago that the '59 Chevy was very polarizing when it came out, and was outsold by Ford that year.

My mother described this design as a grasshopper sitting on a toilet. In contrast, these were only a few years old when I, still a preschooler, became obsessed with cars, and I thought they were very cool. I embraced Populuxe stying fully, probably influenced by the Jetsons. I also thought the early swept-wing commercial airliners (Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8) were cool.

Mum used to complain that the new cars were too low, and that in a proper car one sat up high. I guess she was a prophet, ahead of the curve w.r.t. the SUV/CUV trend.

For what it's worth, I still love that generation ('59 - '64) of full-size Chevy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back