Weight comparison of three 7317-size filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured I'd group some pics together for the like filters, since I know the 7317 family is ubiquitous for the Asian brands. Fram XG 7317, Rural King RK7317, and EcoGard X4610.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is heavier better?
Is lighter better?
How about middle of the road (the goldilocks principle).

With no factual statement of filtering efficiency as a product of weight, the data is rather meaningless.
And it appears that there are multiple filter media types represented as well. So what is an appropriate function for one may not be appropriate for others.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Is heavier better?
Is lighter better?
How about middle of the road (the goldilocks principle).

With no factual statement of filtering efficiency as a product of weight, the data is rather meaningless.
And it appears that there are multiple filter media types represented as well. So what is an appropriate function for one may not be appropriate for others.

Right, heavier element may just mean more metal NOT more filter media. Weight not a significant measurement.

Good data. Much better than "feels heavy". Thanks for time, money, and effort. Fram Ultra has a heavier element, expected since it has a heavy steel mesh. Helps to understand the rattler issues with a heavier element impacting the spring more. The EG/TG elements are much lighter, I think, but the springs appear the same as the Ultra. Springs could be weighed to know.

Fram was the only brand of the 6 to use the flat spring, all the others, even MIC used coils. Just an observation, not a condemnation.

Imp4, agree, but since we know the filtering efficiency of the XG this is just another data point, that's all. I won't kick up the debate again on can weights...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back