Best axle fluid for Ford AWD PTU

Status
Not open for further replies.
In summery ford withdrew its "Lifetime Fill" for their PTU's in the ford edge, taurus, explorer, and lincoln variants.

I noticed a lot of people syphon the fluid out and it is a dark burnt grey color even at 30k.

I'd like to stick with 30k intervals on my taurus, what is the best fluid to use, obvisoly not motorcraft 75w-140 if its that black coming out......

On my 08 Edge I finally change my PTU fluid at 200,000 miles just to see what it was like. I had to drill and tap it so I could drain it. Looked black but didn't smell burnt. I just filled it with 80-90 Valvoline.. Its got 235,000 on it now. No problems yet.

If you're changing it out every 30k I don't think you'll go wrong with any 75w140.

According to MacT Ford Edge on youtube redline lwsp is the best performer in these PTUs. I personally run BG 75w140 as I get it for free from our shops BG distributor.

I did a pretty thorough flush on our 2014 Explorer Sport (before we traded it last year). At about 80,000 miles I drained the factory fill and flushed with solvent, then drained and filled with some cheap 80w-90 for a few miles. Then drained and filled with Amsoil SVG 75w140. About 10-15k later (I would have to find my log) I did another drain and fill with amsoil and the stuff came out quite black still.

This sport was fairly easy as it had a drain plug. I just replaced the breather tube with a long piece of oil hose (3/8" IIRC but I'm not 100% anymore). Interestingly, with the oil to water cooler and temp sensor on these I data logged and didn't see temps that were all that terrible.

Last edited:
just changed the PTU oil on my my brothers edge and my mothers escape.

they both got Valvoline Synpower 75w140 so we will see how it does as i plan on changing it again in a few thousand miles just to kinda flush out the old.

the edge I had to siphon out the escape has a drain plug.

the edge i siphoned out what i could, refilled and drove a few miles then siphoned out and refilled again, probably do that next time the oil is changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back