Serpentine belt tool kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

As a technician, I've never had the need for one of these. They're super handy for maybe 10% of cars, the rest they're useless. Perfect example is the GM 3.6 in almost all the FWD applications. The tensioner has a 1/2 inch drive hole with maybe an inch between the frame rail and the tensioner. I ended up grinding down the nose of a cheap 1/2 inch ratchet to fit, and that's all it's good for now. Free.99. Those tensioner tools are too long to get enough leverage without hitting other things.

Originally Posted by atikovi

I own it and have only needed a couple of times for some real odd balls but when I did it did the job well enough and held up fine.

I did learn to end at the top pulley. If you know what I mean...

It took me 10 minutes to figure this out but my forearms and hands look like I had been in a fight with a pin oak.

I installed a new serpentine belt and air conditioner belt on my Corvette last year. I borrowed the tool from the local O'Rileys and it worked great. The serpentine belt was easy but the air conditioner belt had to be installed from the bottom of the car with a friend holding the air conditioner tensioner from the top. We did his Corvette at the same time. Both cars took about 2 hours. I figured we saved a huge repair bill by doing it ourselves. I like the special wrenches and they worked good for my application.

I have an older Performance Tech set that comes in a case as well as a Lisle ratchet set without the case that I recently bought. The ratcheting one has come in handy a couple of times already on some cars where there was not much room for the handle to swing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi

I've had this set for many years now. It is well worth it. I've used it a few times on my E-150 for water pump and belt replacement, and to help friends, it is a big time saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back