Current OEM Transmission Fluid '08 CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a knowledgable Honda guy so I need help. What is the current Honda spec'd ATF for a 2008 CR-V?

It seems like a lot of mfr are constantly upgrading their ATF's. Thanks!

Be gentle on the drain plug - and make sure it isn't cross-threaded. I thrashed mine by acting like a gorilla, and it wasn't an easy fix.

I tried Maxlife and the downshifts became harsh with a bit of a RPM flare. My trans may be on the way out - everyone else seems to have no problems.

Originally Posted by Chester11
Be gentle on the drain plug - and make sure it isn't cross-threaded.

Good point. Every Honda AT drain bolt have been super tight from the factory. Crazy tight. Stupid tight.
When reinstalling, set your torque wrench to 36 pound feet.

Well, I'll be getting oil and AT drain plugs. Thanks fir your help!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Chester11
Be gentle on the drain plug - and make sure it isn't cross-threaded.

Good point. Every Honda AT drain bolt have been super tight from the factory. Crazy tight. Stupid tight.
When reinstalling, set your torque wrench to 36 pound feet.

This.

A friend just acquired a 2000 Honda Civic with 160k on it. The trans fluid looked okay (was serviced at some point during it's life) but definitely needed changing. I went to crack the plug loose and needed a breaker bar and a section of pipe.
crazy2.gif

Now I'm starting to sweat as this is a church member's car. I gotta change it though. I gotta.

Oh, what is the procedure for checking ATF level in this car? I only know Toyota's. Is it same as Toyota with dip sticks?

Last edited:
Not running. I don't think it changes much hot or cold.
After I service a Honda trans, I just let it idle, select each gear for 10 seconds both up and down.

Easy peasey.

5 quarts motor oil took my 2011 crv to the perfect level everytime i changed oil. i used maxlife ATF in mine and it was ok. mine took about 3.5 or so quarts. its an easy drain and refill

Last edited:
In 2008, Z-1 was the spec'd fluid, since superseded to DW-1.

Everyone mentioned how tight the drain plugs typically are and I remember how tight the fill port plug is but I'm thinking on 4-cylinder Hondas, you fill it through the dipstick hole. There is no fill port. That's only on 6-cylinder Hondas.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Originally Posted by Gebo
Engine running?
Nope, a 2008 CR-V has ATF checked with the engine off. I had one.

Since you had the specific model, won't doubt this is accurate. Otherwise, everyone needs to check their owners manual 'cause some Hondas want it checked with the engine running, others with it off, maybe Honda switched to checking it while it's off in later years, and so on. There's certainly no "rule" for all Hondas !

DW1, but you can use Maxlife with no problem
smile.gif

Another good choice is Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. It goes on sale a few times a year, but Maxlife is more widely available and always that price

Why 12 quarts and why 3 washers ? I thought this belonged to someone else and you were doing them a favor ?

Just curious, what's going on with this vehicle and you ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Why 12 quarts and why 3 washers ? I thought this belonged to someone else and you were doing them a favor ?

Just curious, what's going on with this vehicle and you ?

C'mon now. This is an ongoing favor. I'll do 2 drain and fills now and then once again at each future OCI. I got a plan.

19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back