2015 2.7L Tacoma and towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota calls for 0W-20 with the mention of using a higher viscosity if doing extended high speeds or extreme duty.
I will be towing a 6x10 cargo trailer approximately 3500 miles this April. This will be the first time that I have towed it more than 8 hours at highway speeds. Weight will be about 2500 pounds.
I am considering 0W-30 for my next oil change. I am just wondering what others would do 0W-30, 0W-40?

Welcome to Bitog. No numerical data, but I'm currently running Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w30 in a Chev 6.0 LS engine. This has a kv100 that is on the high side of a 30 grade. 5w30 would suffice as well.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my dad and I towed a 73 VW thing on a 2 axle trailer from Massachusetts to Maryland in his 2WD crew cab 2013 Tacoma 2.7, no sweat. 70 mph in traffic, there was never a point where the Taco didn't have enough grunt. We towed 8+ hours at highway speeds. We even got a flat tire on the NJ Turnpike to add some excitement to the trip. Luckily it was the Tacoma's tire and not the trailer tire, because he didn't have a spare for the trailer.

Factory Toyota 0w-20 oil and filter.

Originally Posted by Nessmuk53
Toyota calls for 0W-20 with the mention of using a higher viscosity if doing extended high speeds or extreme duty.
I will be towing a 6x10 cargo trailer approximately 3500 miles this April. This will be the first time that I have towed it more than 8 hours at highway speeds. Weight will be about 2500 pounds.
I am considering 0W-30 for my next oil change. I am just wondering what others would do 0W-30, 0W-40?

Any decent 10w30 synthetic would be my go to (I am running Havoline pro DS 10w30 in my v6 Tacoma right now), Mobil 1 0w40 works real well.
I would also consider RGT 5w30 (since I have a lot of it from clearances and rebates),

Mobil-1EP 0W20. Enjoy some of it's PAO on the 8+-hr ride with you. Some say it's the best mid-priced 0w20 out there.

I'd think towing would be harder on the transmission and differential,with no additional stress on the engine,since the transmission and differential are taking up the additional stress,right?

Everything in the driveline is taking additional stress.
The truck will have to be run in a lower gear to maintain interstate speeds, especially with headwinds and hills, by keeping it in a higher bar you risk excessive shifting with an auto, and lugging the engine under load.
So properly running the transmission in a lower gear means the engine will be turning at sustained higher than normal rpms. Which means it is creating more heat. It is a good idea to run a thicker oil in this situation. Because fuel mileage is no longer a concern..
Towing a similar trailer a couple of weeks ago expect gas mileage to drop. In half. I averaged 10-11 mpg with a fully loaded 6x12 loaded enclosed trailer with a mild headwind. Maintaining 65-70 for 250 miles.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'd think towing would be harder on the transmission and differential,with no additional stress on the engine,since the transmission and differential are taking up the additional stress,right?

Last edited:
If it has an engine oil cooler, I'd "know" that 0W20 would be fine. If it didn't, I'd "feel better" with something thicker. And regardless I'd just use xW30.
smile.gif

It's a single run in a vehicle that has some indication of being used as a work vehicle. Toyota does not just toss out 0W20 for fun (I'm not sure any of the OEM's did). Day in and out towing, sure I think xW30 is better. One run though and I don't see the problem. Since you can plan ahead, I'd run the thicker, but I wouldn't lose sleep if you suddenly towed with "thin" oil.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Everything in the driveline is taking additional stress.
The truck will have to be run in a lower gear to maintain interstate speeds, especially with headwinds and hills, by keeping it in a higher bar you risk excessive shifting with an auto, and lugging the engine under load.
So properly running the transmission in a lower gear means the engine will be turning at sustained higher than normal rpms. Which means it is creating more heat. It is a good idea to run a thicker oil in this situation. Because fuel mileage is no longer a concern..
Towing a similar trailer a couple of weeks ago expect gas mileage to drop. In half. I averaged 10-11 mpg with a fully loaded 6x12 loaded enclosed trailer with a mild headwind. Maintaining 65-70 for 250 miles.

That's a good point, if this thing is winding out for 3,500 miles then, if nothing else, a short OCI is in order, like 5k.

OP, is this an auto or stick?

The rear axle will experience the most stress in this situation. Also, lugging the engine will put more stress on the bottom end engine bearings.

In the owners manual are tables showing what you can tow. The Toyota 2.7 liter 4 cylinder is the most durable one they make. The transmission you should worry about more.

That said I personally wouldnt tow anything except for a U-Haul with a light truck. A 6x10 sounds like a Uhaul style trailer so it should be ok.

As for viscosity towing or no towing Im not using 20 anything. I would go thicker.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
The rear axle will experience the most stress in this situation. Also, lugging the engine will put more stress on the bottom end engine bearings.

Good point and why I'd prefer a 30 grade oil for an extra safety margin while towing. That said lugging an engine should be avoided.

It's a Pace American Cargo Sport and is not built nearly as rugged as a Uhaul. I changed fluids in my diffs and transmission (5sp manual) for a higher viscosity already.
I think I am going to put Mobil 1 0W-30 in it.
For the past 5 years I have towed it regularly over to the highest point in West Virginia with no problems. Never towed it all day for extended periods before.

A (presumably) 4x2 Taco with 4 cyl / 5mt is likely one of the most durable, long-lived trucks out there. Not great looking with its smallish-looking stock wheels - but talk about practical and durable. Hard to find 'em with 5mt... and reasonable miles. Kudos to you for having it / running it ...Š .

It's a 4WD. I felt fortunate to have found it. I sold my 98 regular cab 2.7 5sp to get into this one. I have only driven standards for the 50+ years I have been driving. It's sad to see them dying out.

If I were you, I'd run 0W-30/5W-30 if you plan on regularly working out the engine via towing and off-roading. Toyota probably fills most their engines with 0W-20 from the factory and makes the suggestion to switch to a different weight if needed. That 2TR engine is a tough little bugger.

I'd be more worried about the drivetrain - I'd consider synthetic GL-4 for the gearbox and GL-5 75W-90 for the front and rear axles, unless Toyota calls for a special fluid. Red Line makes an excellent fluid for the gearbox(MTL-90) and axles(their 75W-85 is a match for Differential Oil LT/LX but feel free to use 75W-90). You might be able to get away with Red Line's oil for the transfer case.

It's a 4WD. I felt fortunate to have found it. I sold my 98 regular cab 2.7 5sp to get into this one. I have only driven standards for the 50+ years I have been driving. It's sad to see them dying out.

I live in Vancouver.... rarely snows here... but I fully understand the notion of having 4WD. You have a rare truck, there... I am assuming it is a super-cab (not a four door). I have a total of 3 Toyota's in my extended "stable" - and I really like their relative conservatism when it comes to vehicles. They are definitely not bleeding-edge. The four cylinder Taco is pretty bullet-proof. I like the fact that they have a balancer assembly... to smoothen it out a bit... as 2.7 litres is a big four. I like the fact that there is only one cylinder bank... so it's simpler. Decently torquey... pointless to rev it out. You obviously have not got a hot-rod there, but used sensibly it'll last and last and last. It's a salt-of-the-earth truck.

Oh, and four out of six of my vehicles are standard transmission cars.

Last edited:
In 2015, I dolly'd my wife's corolla along with stuffing the '15 Toyota Sienna LE during the summer from MA to TX. Was definately at max capacity, 3500# with factory fill 0w20 or 1800 miles one way. No issues that I recalled or anything unusual today. If anything, the short falls were the rear of van running very low and brakes being underwhelming from design. I always drove at the speed limit and under with safe distance but I don't think the Tacoma will have this concern. God, I missed my Tacoma! I did change the oil immediately after journey as well as oil change on the return trip back, towing again.

I agree a scan gauge monitoring transmission temp would be a great data point but just recently, I checked the color of the factory fill (yes, members say color is irrelevant) but that's what I did with a white napkin and the color still had a distinct clean red color. Past readings have reported this tranny fluid goes dark very early so I was pretty relieved.

I don't think 0w30 would hurt but I am just commenting on my tow experience with a Toyota vehicle even though my engine and transmission are different.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back