Oil Capacity 2008 CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing oil in a 2008 Honda CR-V and the owner's manual says 4.4 qts with filter change. Amsoil site says 4.4 qts with a filter change. I changed filter with OEM Honda filterband added 4.5 qts and the oil only comes up to the bottom mark on the dipstick (after setting over night). I added the extra 1/2 qt and it only comes up to the middle of the marks on the dipstick. It appears the engine takes 5.5 qts. This is my first time changing the oil in this car (and it ain't mine) and I am a little confused.

Any ideas from you CR-V owners?

I service the K24 with 5 quarts of synthetic 5w30 or 5w20 oil and a good filter.
I let it drain for a minimum of 15 minutes, generally longer. More oil drains if you remove the filter with the oil plug uninstalled.
Brings the level up to the top mark.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
. ....More oil drains if you remove the filter with the oil plug uninstalled.

That is exactly what I did and a bunch of oil came out when I removed the filter. I mean a bunch.

I have put in 5.5 qts and it is at top notch on stick.

09 here. I always thought the 4.4 was a little light. I always seem to end up using very close to 5. I have to "angle" the dipstick out - it come straight up and hits the hood - so I figured I was throwing off the measurement a bit.

I've found Honda's oil capacities to be wrong. Just figure out how much it takes to get to the full mark and go from there.

I have never needed more than 5 quarts. And I have serviced K24s more than 30 times.
Check the level cold on a fairly level surface; please post your results. Ya never know...

Last edited:
I have never needed more than 5 quarts. And I have serviced K24s more than 30 times.
Check the level cold on a fairly level surface; please post your results. Ya never know...

It drained over 5 hours. FYI (Daytona and Joker)

Will do. It's sitting in my garage now. I'll give it a few hours and recheck with pic.
thumbsup2.gif

When you do a drain and fill of AT, how much ATF you get out? I'm off today and Planning on buying 3 qts DW-1 from my Acura PM buddy. Will 3 be enough?

Last edited:
3 quarts should be perfect. Buy 4; ya might spill.
If the ATF is brown or dark, do it twice with a short run in between.
Otherwise, do it again at next OCI.

In fact, see if Honda will give you a price on a case, which is 12 quarts.
Or buy online...
All good. You will love that Honda. The mighty K24 is one engine they really got right.

Amazon DW-1

Idemitsu DW-1 Equivalent

Of course dealer will be higher. I always ask for a discount, especially on a case.

Regarding the oil drain plug: If the threads are damaged at all, or it doesn't thread easily by hand, or the head is beat up at all, get a new one.
I keep a few on hand...

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

5.5 qts. ????? It may be 1 mm above the dot????

My dealer $7.25 per qt DW-1. I always get great pricing from my Acura and Lexus dealers. I'll get a spare drain plug as we will be doing 3K OCI's
05.gif

Thanks for your help! Thank God it has a AT dipstick!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
. ....More oil drains if you remove the filter with the oil plug uninstalled.

That is exactly what I did and a bunch of oil came out when I removed the filter. I mean a bunch.

I have put in 5.5 qts and it is at top notch on stick.

Oil drains from the oil passage ways .

You are doing a great job.
I would check air and cabin filters.
Pull a plug; it it ain't the OEM NGK or Denso, swap 'em out. 13 pound feet.
Funny story - When I firsy changed the plugs in our 2006 TSX with the K24, there were 2 NGK and 2 Denso plugs installed at the factory.

OK, then flush the PS fluid and brake fluid.
And wash that bad boy!

Last edited:
I added the extra 1/2 qt and it only comes up to the middle of the marks on the dipstick.

Normally I'd say you're done based on the dipstick reading but if you put 5.5 quarts in, I don't think you're getting a good reading. I suspect you've overfilled it.

My dealer $7.25 per qt DW-1. I always get great pricing from my Acura and Lexus dealers.

That's an excellent price ! Cheaper than Amazon, if I'm not mistaken, too.

I would alway use Honda OEM fluid if I owned a Honda since they do not follow the JASO-1A spec like every other Japanese auto maker does, nor does Honda license its spec to oil companies. Honda goes its own way. At that price whether the car us in warranty or not, use the Honda ATF.

Lots of discussions here about Honda ATF and whether Maxlife or other brands are suitable replacements. Under warranty I'd go DW-1, after that I run Maxlife ATF personally in our Honda and it shifts great.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I added the extra 1/2 qt and it only comes up to the middle of the marks on the dipstick.

Normally I'd say you're done based on the dipstick reading but if you put 5.5 quarts in, I don't think you're getting a good reading. I suspect you've overfilled it.

Well, it's in my garage so I know it's level. IDK

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
My dealer $7.25 per qt DW-1. I always get great pricing from my Acura and Lexus dealers.

That's an excellent price ! Cheaper than Amazon, if I'm not mistaken, too.

yes $7.25 PER QT, 3.4 LITERS, yes

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 10:53 AM wrote:
2008 CR-V. DW-1 atf? How much? Do you have the tranny crush washers?

Thanks,
Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back