Amsoil Ea15k12 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil on the wife's Nissan Quest. This Amsoil filter was in service about 10 months and 8k miles. Fill was Amsoil Signature series 0w40.
Another good looking Amsoil filter.
Wire backed media looks good and sturdy construction all around.
Same filter and oil went back in and on.
Will be interested in the next filter cut on this as the new Amsoil filter looks like a new design, had black texture grip paint and claims 99% at 20 micron instead of 98.7%.

20200208_213655.jpg

20200208_213713.jpg

20200208_213721.jpg

20200208_213738.jpg

I think camera angle makes the seam pleat look crooked, it is actually not. Here is a better pic.

15812169551461531597093.jpg

Last edited:
Champ Labs made. I've seen noted that the Wix/Napa Gold 5/7356 element (which I use), seems small to some. That said, pretty sure it significantly larger than topic. That said, this would be the 6607 equivalent filter. Looks fine, like it got the job done.

Ever considered using the 7317 application size in the Quest? It's what I use in an extended family Nissan Rogue now.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Champ Labs made. I've seen noted that the Wix/Napa Gold 5/7356 element (which I use), seems small to some. That said, pretty sure it significantly larger than topic. That said, this would be the 6607 equivalent filter. Looks fine, like it got the job done.

Ever considered using the 7317 application size in the Quest? It's what I use in an extended family Nissan Rogue now.

Thanks for c&p.

I have considered using the longer Nissan filter size. It sits sideways and there is a splash shield that is near the end. I suspect I probably have room for it.
The small filters never seem like they have much of anything in them, so I don't worry much about it.

Originally Posted by cronk
Just changed the oil on the wife's Nissan Quest. This Amsoil filter was in service about 10 months and 8k miles. Fill was Amsoil Signature series 0w40.
Another good looking Amsoil filter.
Wire backed media looks good and sturdy construction all around.
Same filter and oil went back in and on.
Will be interested in the next filter cut on this as the new Amsoil filter looks like a new design, had black texture grip paint and claims 99% at 20 micron instead of 98.7%.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Looks good sir. Did you put another of these filters back on? What oil went back in? Thank You

Originally Posted by cronk
...I have considered using the longer Nissan filter size. It sits sideways and there is a splash shield that is near the end. I suspect I probably have room for it......
2017 2.5L Rogue has a same orientation and similar shield, no issue with the longer 7317 installed. In fact, never seen a Nissan where it didn't fit.

You're correct though, either will work. I just figure same cost, same specs with more media area in the ~3/4" longer filter. Same case with the sae thread 4967 vs 4386 used on Toyotas.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Looks good sir. Did you put another of these filters back on? What oil went back in? Thank You

Same Amsoil filter and Amsoil Signature series 0w40 went back in/on.

Filter looks fine
But doesn't look any better or worse than a Fram XG for less money
Thanks for the post

Thanks for C&P... is the air filter on the Quest in good shape? That looks filthy for only 8k miles (but at least that part isn't in the engine anymore)... maybe Nissans just put lots of particulates/insolubles into the oil. That engine isn't GDI, is it?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Thanks for C&P... is the air filter on the Quest in good shape? That looks filthy for only 8k miles (but at least that part isn't in the engine anymore)... maybe Nissans just put lots of particulates/insolubles into the oil. That engine isn't GDI, is it?

The media is actually not very dirty at all, It always looks worse in pictures than it does in person.
The bits of debris in the photos is from me cutting the filter open with an air grinder with a cutoff wheel.
The micro glass media kind of glistens when it is oil soaked, and almost looks like a layer of sludge on the media.
Maybe next one I'll wrap in some paper towels to dry out the media for a better pic.
Oil had darkened some but was still a dark amber on the dipstick.

I did check and replace air filter, as this was the 100k service, old air filter still looked nice though.
Also got new NGK Ruthenium plugs, new pcv valve, and a drain and fill of Amsoil CVT fluid.

Last edited:
Very good job there man...

I am like sayjac in that I typically run a longer 7356/7317 oil filter on my VQ motor... Easier to get a holt of if for me
smile.gif

I'm heading towards 300,000 miles on my VQ motor... Got 296,600 miles right now. . Bought the car with only 39,990 miles.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
The media looks like it worked hard for that 8K run.

You cannot tell absolutely anything at all by "looking" at that synthetic media.

Unless you have Superman's eyes......

Originally Posted by bbhero
Very good job there man...

I am like sayjac in that I typically run a longer 7356/7317 oil filter on my VQ motor... Easier to get a holt of if for me
smile.gif

I'm heading towards 300,000 miles on my VQ motor... Got 296,600 miles right now. . Bought the car with only 39,990 miles.

is that with a CVT transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back