Purolator filters bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen some talk on here that purolator filters are bad. They seem pretty quality to me? What are your thoughts? I also have used premium guard extended performance on my jeep. I like the filters quite a bit. Thoughts?

The concerns are, tears in the pleats. Members here have cut open filters and found torn pleats, frequently in the same areas.

Last edited:
What specific Purolator Filters?..... they make different levels.
Or just Stick with the Premium Guard EPs.
Only Purolator I would buy is the Boss on sale.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
I have seen some talk on here that purolator filters are bad. They seem pretty quality to me? What are your thoughts? I also have used premium guard extended performance on my jeep. I like the filters quite a bit. Thoughts?

If you've seen "some talk" on here then you've also seen the pictures of torn media, right? That doesn't seem very quality to me.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I bought the purolator one. The one I saw where it tore was after 11k miles (which they are not rated for) and was using a synthetic blend.

I bought the purolator one. The one I saw where it tore was after 11k miles (which they are not rated for) and was using a synthetic blend.

Exactly, don't complain if you went above and beyond manufacturer's recommended interval. I ran a Purolator one with Mobil 1 AFE and had a really good blackstone lab report.

Most are confused on here about Purolator filters, type, name, old design vs new design, PureOne and Puralator One etc. Considering the Purolator One is class leading at 99.9% efficiency @ 20 microns and 10,000 miles. All of the reviews I have seen online are excellent.

Originally Posted by adams355
Most are confused on here about Purolator filters, type, name, old design vs new design, PureOne and Puralator One etc. Considering the Purolator One is class leading at 99.9% efficiency @ 20 microns and 10,000 miles. All of the reviews I have seen online are excellent.

Not at all. The OP said "I have seen some talk on here that purolator filters are bad" which is true as stated.

Lots of them reported here that tore media had less than 5K miles on them. They most likely tear shortly after being installed, as I don't think it's mileage dependant.

There haven't been many of the newer Purolators cut and posted, but it's posdible they are better now. Use it, and cut it open and report back with photos.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Not at all. The OP said "I have seen some talk on here that purolator filters are bad" which is true as stated.

There was a thread on here the other day reporting issue with a Purolator filter after 10k miles or so, everybody was quick to put the boot in. Ended up being an old pureone filter as stated by OP rated for 5k.

Last edited:
^^^ Mileage rating doesn't have much to do with the media tearing mechanism.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

You proved my point they don't make that filter anymore. Its years old to begin with and has been superseded with a different design.

You proved my point they don't make that filter anymore. Its years old to begin with and has been superseded with a different design.

You got old vs new media design specs from Purolators engineering department that shows that Purolator improved the media to make it less prone to tearing?

As Chris142 posted above, that's a pretty recent (way after the "redesign") Purolator with torn media.

If you think they're all "fixed" then go for it. But until I see engineering data from Purolator, or a direct statement from Purolator saying that they made changes to address media tearing, then nothing seems to have changed besides the can paint jobs and names.

You got old vs new media design specs from Purolators engineering department that shows that Purolator improved the media to make it less prone to tearing?

As Chris142 posted above, that's a pretty recent (way after the "redesign") Purolator with torn media.

If you think they're all "fixed" then go for it. But until I see engineering data from Purolator, or a direct statement from Purolator saying that they made changes to address media tearing, then nothing seems to have changed besides the can paint jobs and names.

Yes its a 'PureOne filter' the old design. The Purolator ONE is the new design with metal end caps. Please check out the link for even more facts that you require.

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/purolatoronetm/

All of the new Purolator's (3 different types) have metal end caps and the Purolator ONE has re-engineered synthetic blend media as per link.

Last edited:
Ahh that filter Chris had pictures of... Was a cartridge filter.... Not a spin on. No metal end caps that I have seen with a cartridge filter. Maybe I am wrong about that... Don't think so though.

Purolator aka red color filter 96 percent efficiency at 20 microns

Purolator One blue color filter 99 percent efficiency at 20 microns

Purolator Boss black color filter 99+ percent efficiency at 25 microns

The 14610s were one of the highest propensity for issues with media integrity.

Yes its a 'PureOne filter' the old design. The Purolator ONE is the new design with metal end caps. Please check out the link for even more facts that you require.

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/purolatoronetm/

All of the new Purolator's (3 different types) have metal end caps and the Purolator ONE has re-engineered synthetic blend media as per link.

All of the old Purolator spin-ons had metal end caps. Metal end caps are nothing new with the spin-ons.

Oh well then the filter in question must not even be a Purolator spin on... It might not even be a Purolator...

Last edited:
The Bosch Distance Plus+ is Purolator made, and doesn't have failure issues.

I must still have almost 2 dozen left over from when walmart marked them down to $1 each!!!

I tend to install them on vehicles that have previously been abused/sludged, because I know the design can handle the abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back