Virgin Fram Ultra XG7317 C&P with element weights

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I kind of went overboard... this is the first C&P of 6 20x1.5mm filters that fit Honda/Nissan/Subaru etc.... I have a postal scale so I weighed the filter element, baseplate, and entire filter for reference. When the shots are of the element, I took one directly on the seam and one 180* off the seam. These are my first C&Ps, so be kind
smile.gif
Just realized I have to take element photos of this filter, will upload soon. I don't really like the way the ADBV seals on the XG, I think it may be possible for dirty oil to press past the seal into the tube... who knows. But I definitely like the Wix-style seal better, since it sandwiches the rubber tightly to eliminate my worry. Here goes nothing!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You did good job there man ^^^^^^^

And I agree with you about the way the XG ADBV is in the 7317.. .

I like the Wix 57356 in my car.

Right now I actually have a Purolator red made Carquest on my car right now. I'm scared
shocked2.gif

Not really
lol.gif

What do you think is wrong with how the ADBV seals on the Ultra?

Good first C&P.

The way the rubber sticks down into the tube...I suppose if the element was plugged and/or the ADBV didn't open, the way the rubber just sits between the baseplate and top of element, oil could theoretically force its way thru the "seat". I'm sure there's likely enough compression to prevent this, but it's just not quite as robust to me as the Wix way. JMO though... these filters obviously work, and do it well.

I owe my C&P prowess, however small, to 53' Stude's exposition on this board.
thumbsup2.gif

Look at the sealing area on both sides of the ADBV, it's quite large. So as long as there's some compression there's going to be a decent seal. All filters rely on compression to seal the ADBV around the center tube and base plate outlet hole.

I'd worry more about the thin metal-on-metal ridge seal in the WIX filters with the base end bypass valve.

I can agree with your assessment of the ADBV on the Frame Ultra, It seems like some unfiltered oil will surely flow through around where it sits loosely in the center tube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mightymouse
I can agree with your assessment of the ADBV on the Frame Ultra, It seems like some unfiltered oil will surely flow through around where it sits loosely in the center tube.

"Loosly"? You do realize (?) that it's clamped between the end cap and base plate, just like every other oil filter made.

How can a filter test at 99% @ 20μ when there's oil bypassing the media?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

"Loosly"? You do realize (?) that it's clamped between the end cap and base plate, just like every other oil filter made.

Oh no I meant sitting loose in the center tube.
Can't see whats stopping some oil from flowing by the soft pliable lip of the ADBV.
In these attached photos of some differently designed filters you can see that the ADBV fits around a metal rise or lip which is part of the end cap and will not collapse or flex. The silicone or rubber lip of the fram ADBV has nothing to support it from flexing and will surely allow some used dirty oil to remain unfiltered as it flows by and joins the stream of returning oil.

c0ea8486.jpg

Screenshot_20200210-151359.png

Screenshot_20200210-151345.png

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
The way the rubber sticks down into the tube...I suppose if the element was plugged and/or the ADBV didn't open, the way the rubber just sits between the baseplate and top of element, oil could theoretically force its way thru the "seat". I'm sure there's likely enough compression to prevent this, but it's just not quite as robust to me as the Wix way. JMO though... these filters obviously work, and do it well.

I owe my C&P prowess, however small, to 53' Stude's exposition on this board.
thumbsup2.gif

Good job Chris, taking away my title.
lol.gif

All fairness great cut and post pics
smile.gif

Can't see whats stopping some oil from flowing by the soft pliable lip of the ADBV.
In these attached photos of some differently designed filters you can see that the ADBV fits around a metal rise or lip which is part of the end cap and will not collapse or flex. The silicone or rubber lip of the fram ADBV has nothing to support it from flexing and will surely allow some used dirty oil to remain unfiltered as it flows by and joins the stream of returning oil.

You do realize that the whole area between the two red circles seals up against the metal end cap. In fact, the Fram ADBV has way more sealing area than any of those other filters you posted. So I really don't think you're grasping how the ADBV seals. It's clamped between the end cap and base plate, and seals on both sides, just like any other ADBV does. There's a possible oil leakage path on every ADBV in every oil filter make of the sealing area isn't 100%.

[Linked Image]

You do realize that the whole area between the two red circles seals up against the metal end cap. In fact, the Fram ADBV has way more sealing area than any of those other filters you posted. So I really don't think you're grasping how the ADBV seals. It's clamped between the end cap and base plate, and seals on both sides, just like any other ADBV does. There's a possible oil leakage path on every ADBV in every oil filter make of the sealing area isn't 100%.

[Linked Image]

Oh you got me, I had no true understanding of how a filter(especially an ADBV) worked but now that Ive seen your circles it's as if scales have fallen from my eyes. I see so clearly now. All hail the circles!
Anyway apparently somebody got butt hurt about something I said about fram and reported to a moderater. So Im not gonna carry on this conversation.

Oh you got me, I had no true understanding of how a filter(especially an ADBV) worked but now that Ive seen your circles it's as if scales have fallen from my eyes. I see so clearly now. All hail the circles!
Anyway apparently somebody got butt hurt about something I said about fram and reported to a moderater. So Im not gonna carry on this conversation.

Is the explanation that ZeeOSix gave incorrect?

But I guess that since you're "not gonna carry on this conversation" we'll never know.

The Fram adbv is excellent on the end cap because of the tight seal, and it can be seen through the thread hole. One more inspection point for a buyer. OT, You have to wonder who the snitch is because MM said nothing wrong. Is it a discussion board or a rally around a campfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back