Mobil Super Synthetic is SN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
While doing inventory of my stash, noticed that one of my Mobil Super Synthetic 10w30 quarts is SN+

never thought it would be especially a 10w30 grade. Shows what I know
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

You got some newer stuff then.
All 16 of mine are just SN, but most of them are from 2018 with a few 2017.
Not an issue though, I plan on using them in my mom's 2018 Kia Soul which is a SL/SM/SN requirement.

I don't think 10w-30 is an issue for SN+ certification, but it is an issue for Dexos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
You got some newer stuff then.
All 16 of mine are just SN, but they are from 2018.
Not an issue though, I plan on using them in my mom's 2018 Kia Soul.

Yeah, 1 out of the 17 quarts is 2019, rest are 2016 and 2017

Originally Posted by csandste
Exxon-Mobil base stocks are the only ones that can make SN+ with group II.

How do you know this? I've seen this mentioned a few times.. what exactly does this mean? Are you suggesting Chevron or Conoco (for example) grp2/2+ base stocks can't meet API (SN)+ requirements and that they're are buying from XOM??.. I find that hard to believe because what blender would buy Chevron grp2 stocks?

And correct me if I'm wrong a change in base stock isn't needed to meet SN+ from API SN since calcium has been identified as the main antagonist to LSPI, so a rebalancing of Cal/Mag has been the preferred approach to passing the Sequence IX test to gain SN+ approval, right???

*some lube mfgs take a slightly different approach to addressing lspi by use also of moly and titanium chemistries

PQIA - LSPI

Last edited:
Good to know. Mobil SS seems to be an underrated lube of sorts. SN+ should be good for 5K OCI at least.

I'm running Harvest King 10w30 conventional in my S70, and its labeled as SN+. I think Warren Oil is the blender, not sure where they procure their base stock.

Mobil1 met d2g2 before the spec. existed .....I wonder if the Mobil SS did too? (Mobil had lowered calcium in M1 around 2010 according to what I've read on this site). I ask because I scored several qts. at the AA 'Clearance' in late 2019...some are marked SN+ but most are just SN...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back