Ravenol Oil specification and opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I picked up a 2013 Jaguar XF 3.0 AWD Supercharged and modified it to 460 HP. ( Added a tune and Crank pulley)

Jaguar Spec oil Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.51.5122 I have read the car requires C5? (not familiar ) so it seems this poil matches that spec. 7 qts for $ 100 plus shipping

Ravenol data sheet lists the following Oil Specifications and Quality Standards:

ACEA C5
API SN Resource Conserving
ILSAC GF-5
Licensed: API SN Resource Conserving

Formal Factory Approvals:

Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.51.5122
Mercedes-Benz MB 229.7

[Linked Image]

Any thoughts on comparable oils in the US? Seems a bit hard to find.

That looks like a quality oil by Ravenol.

That looks like a 0w20 based on the PDS? I'd be using something thicker in a modified vehicle. Like a 0w30 or 5w30 with similar specs.

Good thoughts about the mods.

The engine is the same as the Jaguar R-S and R models (stock tuned Supercharged V8 engines that come wiht 425hp) with one less set of cylinders so I will look at those recommendations is 5W-20

Sad thing is that these engines is that timing gear are weak and a bear to replace. Trying to get some big miles out of it will require some paying attention

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jssaab
Ravenol data sheet lists the following Oil Specifications and Quality Standards:

ACEA C5
ILSAC GF-5

Mercedes-Benz MB 229.7

What is Mercedes-Benz MB 229.7 approval?

Originally Posted by kschachn

ACEA C5
ILSAC GF-5

Mercedes-Benz MB 229.7

Dunno ? Ravenol lists only JRL and MB ( these specific approvals) for this oil. They list lots of other manufacturers that should be "equivalent" but not specified

This oil is a Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.51.5122 0W20, which is a fuel economy long life oil with mid-saps 0.8 limit .
This oil should also carry VW 50800 50900 .
With mod and tune, as others advise, you should consider stepping up to xW30 . If i may add, with long life and midsaps features intact .
The closest that comes to my mind is any 5W30 (or 0W30) that carries VW 50400 50700 approvals bases on mid-saps C3 (not C5,fuel economy)

Last edited:
Looked earlier, there is no MB 229.7 approval. Only 229.71, which is a 0W-20, Low SpAsh (MB term). Hence the C5 rating.

ACEA C5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, for further improved Fuel Economy, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable and OEM-approved for use of Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s.

Originally Posted by zeng
This oil is a Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.51.5122 0W20, which is a fuel economy long life oil with mid-saps 0.8 limit .
With mod and tune, as others advise, you should consider stepping up to xW30 . If i may add, with long life and midsaps features intact .
The closest that comes to my mind is any 5W30 (or 0W30) that carries VW 50400 50700 approvals bases on mid-saps C3 (not C5,fuel economy)

Thanks, I'v always use 0W-30 on my modified Saabs.

These cars are known to die of oil starvation (not sure if its due to people not checking the oil because it has an electronic oil level that requires active intervention to see (dumbest thing ever. You have a computerized car and it doesn't do the check and report on its own.

Also there are weak plastic chain guides. Not sure Jaguar chose a specific oil to compensate for these issues. Wold that change your suggestion ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zeng

Thanks, I'v always use 0W-30 on my modified Saabs.

These acra are knwo to die die to oil starvation (not sure if its due to people not checking the oil because it has an electronic oil level that requires active intervention to see (dumbest thing ever. You have a computerized car and it doesn't do the check and report on its own.

Also there are weak plastic chain guides. Not sure Jaguar chose a specific oil to compensate for these issues. Wold that change your suggestion ?

No.
All the more the reason to switch/upgrade to VW 50400 50700 with minimum HTHS 3.5 cP, vis-a-vis min HTHS 2.6 cP in STJLR.51.5122 IF price isn't an issue ,never mind you aren't going Long Life change intervals .
If price IS an issue, go for VW 50200 50500 50501 (typically xW40) at standard interval , with extra/additional 0.1 or 0.2 cP HTHS if that matters.

Originally Posted by kschachn

ACEA C5
ILSAC GF-5

Mercedes-Benz MB 229.7

You do realize someone might have actually hit the wrong number while typing that right
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
You do realize someone might have actually hit the wrong number while typing that right
smile.gif

Absolutely, that's why I asked. I couldn't figure out which Ravenol oil it was to check their website.

pardon me if it is a silly question:

how would ravenol rep 5w-30 would compare to castrol edge 0w-30 c3? (seeing both are PAO based)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
I wouldn't be using anything less than a xw30 in that car, with 400+ HP you obviously are'n't worried about CAFE and fuel economy which is the ONLY reason 20WT oils were ever used.

A 0W40 from Castrol or Mobil would fit very well and provide protection needed for that beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back