why is ride share insurance so cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
been checking the price of insurance on vehicle. they always ask me if i would be using it for ride share. once i asked if i was, how much more would it be? it was like $150 a year added to my policy.

So is it so cheap because ride share insurance already covers and this is secondary insurance?

Originally Posted by WhyMe
been checking the price of insurance on vehicle. they always ask me if i would be using it for ride share. once i asked if i was, how much more would it be? it was like $150 a year added to my policy.

So is it so cheap because ride share insurance already covers and this is secondary insurance?

In NY it is very hard to get without a commercial policy. Probably all the lawsuits here. If you even ASK about rideshare they can drop you. It is worse than asking if something is covered, thinking you are going to make a claim.

But otherwise it is secondary because the rideshare company carries high insurance. There is a portion though when you are not covered, and the extra money covers your extra driving I guess.

Your policy should state what it covers.

Unless they've charged the coverage, the rideshare company's policy covers you while you have a ride and the period of time between when you accept the ride and actually pick them up. After you drop off and wait for another booking, your insurance covers you. That might explain the low adder cost to your policy.

I don't drive for any RS service so it may have changed.

Originally Posted by ford46guy

In NY it is very hard to get without a commercial policy. Probably all the lawsuits here. If you even ASK about rideshare they can drop you. It is worse than asking if something is covered, thinking you are going to make a claim.

But otherwise it is secondary because the rideshare company carries high insurance. There is a portion though when you are not covered, and the extra money covers your extra driving I guess.

i don't plan to do any ride sharing in the near future. yeah the ride share company has insurance , but the deductable is $2500 . i found that out when some lyft guy hit my mirror. his car got some slight damage and he tried to claim my insurance. my insurance told him to pound sand i guess seeing the amount of miles traveled vs claims the risk is pretty low

Last edited:
it was like $150 a year added to my policy.

I doubt that the driver's insurance for a claim involving a ride share is secondary insurance. Its not even clear to me that a party injured during a ride share would have a leg to stand on if they tried to sue the ride share company as its drivers (in virtually all jurisdictions at the moment) are independent contractors.

IDK, ask the insurance companies, they are the only ones who really know the answer

Depends on who. AAA NorCal charges 20% extra on top of your premium for TNC coverage. Some like Metromile will switch you over to a commercial policy if their app and the Uber Driver app is on and active. Others like AAA SoCal will gladly drop you like a bad habit if you mutter the words Lyft/Uber/Amazon around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back