2 years. Change or run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Castrol edge 5w40 in my Can Am Maverick is going on 2 years in the crank case. Less than 50 miles on the oil as we just have not used the side by side much lately.

It mostly just sits in my garage. I have taken it out for some short putts but that's all. Like I said maybe 50 miles max on the oil.

If the weather holds out we may take it out for a few hours tomorrow. I'm seriously thinking of changing it after tomorrows ride.

Or leave it? Does time effect the oil filter in any way? Make the paper brittle?

Oil doesn't just go bad sitting in a crank case. Changing it would be a waste of resources.

Originally Posted by oldhp
I couldn't do that. I would've changed it at least 1 year ago. Oil is cheap, that "Toy" ain't.

I normally would not let it go this long but life happened,it's a quality oil and I have to gut the interier to get to the oil filter. Takes me about 3 hrs.

Go by the dipstick. Does the oil still look like it did when you changed it? If so, leave it, it's not going deteriorate in the pan or after driving 50 miles. And a name brand filter isn't going to deteriorate after 2 years in clean oil.

absolutely crazy and to be honest, stupid to change it. The "oil is cheap and your toy is not crowd" is using emotion and not common sense. When you do run it, heat it up fully. I have a 4 stroke jetski, same situation. I change it maybe once every 3 years. The oil looks pristine even then.

I am with the run it long enough to burn off any moisture crowd. I have pretty much gone entirely to hours or miles on my equipment as I also have some that does not get used much. Nothing bad has happened yet

You're in the desert. It's not going to be contaminated by condensation/moisture. I would leave it.

IF you were here in VB, by the ocean, with lots of salt and moisture in the air, I would change it.

Last edited:
Sorry but 2 yrs is long enough, i would dump it.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83
cheers3.gif

The 28oz ( less than a qt) has been in my GENERAC 5500 generator for 10 years

Valvoline Racing Synthetic 10W30 with about an ounce of Liqui-Moly. MoS2
Oil is clean, unit starts up and runs well.

I'm thinking about changing it next spring.

Oils is stable. Its loaded with acid neutralisers.

No need for needless waste.

Besides, Fresh, new oil causes the most engine wear.

People cant wrap their heads around that - even on this Forum

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by Malo83
cheers3.gif

The 28oz ( less than a qt) has been in my GENERAC 5500 generator for 10 years

Valvoline Racing Synthetic 10W30 with about an ounce of Liqui-Moly. MoS2
Oil is clean, unit starts up and runs well.

I'm thinking about changing it next spring.

Oils is stable. Its loaded with acid neutralisers.

No need for needless waste.

Besides, Fresh, new oil causes the most engine wear.

People cant wrap their heads around that - even on this Forum

Care to elaborate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back