Synthetic Oils With Lowest VII's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Research may indicate that higher VII's in engine oils can lead to an increase in engine deposits (more critical in GDI and Turbo engines) .
The above said , which oils below have the lower VII's in their oil make up / formula ?

1. Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W30
2. Mobil 1 5W30
3. Pennzoil Platinum 5W30
4. Castrol EDGE 5W30
5 .QSUD 5W30

*I picked readily available synthetic oils all with D1 / Gen 2 , SN+ ratings .

I can't help you directly with your list. But I have three points to offer.

First the equivalent 10W30 should have less polymer VII than its 5W30 brother.

Second I look for the oil that has the lowest KV100 kinematic viscosity for the highest HTHS viscosity. As VII add more to kinematic viscosity than to HTHS viscosity.

Third I look for the lowest Noack volatility. As some (relatively) thicker oils are made from thin base oils all jacked up on polymer VII.

But you then have three problems too.
First few companies give you the data required for above and secondly they may have change base stock from Group III to Group IV which makes comparison more difficult. Third viscosity grades like 10W30 are naturally low in VII, especially the full synthetics, yet that is not an allowed Dexos grade, so you can't get a D1-G2 10W30 no matter how good it is.

Char....I think you meant to say....
It's always been my understanding that if you want e.g. a 5W30 with less VII's (in a specific brand name), then use it's 10W30 offering.

Maybe I'm wrong and misunderstood your intent.

OK, fun adventure for a Sunday morning. I'll contribute info on QSUD. One anomalous thing is the kinematic viscosity at 100 C is actually higher with the 5W30 than with the 10W30. How that happened I'm not sure. (Typo?). Here you go. 5W30 first.

Quaker State 5W30.PNG

Quaker State 10W30.PNG

Last edited:
And here are the Pennzoil results. 5W30 first. These are not Euro type oils. I believe there is a typo here because for the 10W30 they describe a CCS viscosity at -30 C. That should read -25 C. Sheesh.

Pennzoil 5W30.PNG

Pennzoil 10W30.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
OK, fun adventure for a Sunday morning. I'll contribute info on QSUD. One anomalous thing is the kinematic viscosity at 100 C is actually higher with the 5W30 than with the 10W30. How that happened I'm not sure. (Typo?). Here you go. 5W30 first.

Likely not a typo. Same can be said for Amsoil as well as Phillips 66 Shield Choice:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:

What's even weirder is the cst@100 for the QSUD 5w20 is way-way down to around 8.7. Seems strange that....
5w30 is 11.6
5w20 is 8.7

I got the rhythm. Mobil 1. 5W30 first. Same issue on the KV100. 5W30 has a higher viscosity than 10W30. WTH. I don't know if I would seek out a lower VII if it meant going with a lower KV100 viscosity.

Mobil 1 5W30.PNG

Mobil 1 10W30.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

What's even weirder is the cst@100 for the QSUD 5w20 is way-way down to around 8.7. Seems strange that....
5w30 is 11.6
5w20 is 8.7

[/quote]

Well, they are both 30's. The 5w just means it would be thinner on the cold end, as I understand it.

I continue to be impressed with the Amsoil 5w30 & 10w30's CCV & pour points, respectively. I'd like them to publish their MRV specs though.

Any idea what the Mobils' CCV & MRV are?

Can some kind soul calculate the Amsoil 10w30's base oil viscosity at 150c ?

I got the rhythm. Mobil 1. 5W30 first. Same issue on the KV100. 5W30 has a higher viscosity than 10W30. WTH. I don't know if I would seek out a lower VII if it meant going with a lower KV100 viscosity.

When looking at a finished oil take into consideration the viscosity improvers that give the final numbers

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Research may indicate that higher VII's in engine oils can lead to an increase in engine deposits (more critical in GDI and Turbo engines) .
The above said , which oils below have the lower VII's in their oil make up / formula ?

1. Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W30
2. Mobil 1 5W30
3. Pennzoil Platinum 5W30
4. Castrol EDGE 5W30
5 .QSUD 5W30

*I picked readily available synthetic oils all with D1 / Gen 2 , SN+ ratings .

Is it really that simple? I'd bet a high quality full synthetic with higher VII would have potential to leave fewer engine deposits than a low VII conventional in the same engine. (Note I said I'd bet. I didn't say I know this for sure. Just betting on an educated guess.)

5w30 is 11.6
5w20 is 8.7

I dont understand the strangeness. Actually a KV100 of 8.7 is high for a 5w20

the range for a SAE20 grade oil is 5.6 > 9.2cSt

The MOTUL Synthetic in my VW is 7.8cSt.

Here are the details on Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 0w40 . It has a Viscosity Index of 189. It happens to be the oil specified for the Dodge SRT engines. I don't believe Dodge is doing any hand wringing about the viscosity index issue.
laugh.gif

0W40 SRT.PNG

That is an excellent question! I have been thinking about asking the same question.

I did read an SAE white paper about 25 years ago where Shell and Mercedes Benz did cylinder wall wear and ring pack deposit tests with a 10 weight, 10w30 and straight 30 weight motor oil. A lot was written about cylinder wall wear and deposits left by the VII's.

I wish I could find the article. I remember thinking that I would try and avoid the multi grade oils to avoid Viscosity Index Improvers.

I would imagine that now with synthetic base oils becoming more common and available, it may be easier to avoid VII's.

I have only seen one motor oil advertised as a 10w30/30 wt. That oil was an Amsoil product.

I would be really curious to know if modern synthetic 10w30's have VII's and if so, how little?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

5w30 is 11.6
5w20 is 8.7

I dont understand the strangeness. Actually a KV100 of 8.7 is high for a 5w20

the range for a SAE20 grade oil is 5.6 > 9.2cSt

The MOTUL Synthetic in my VW is 7.8cSt.

Strange means three numbers apart. Not really a SOPUS M.O., for the gap is much narrower with Pennzoil Platinum labels. I'm guessing base stock differences involved between the two brand names.

Last edited:
Valvoline provides good detail :https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Document/18452/f1d157d1-0f7e-e711-9c10-ac162d889bd3/3aa410a1-0bbd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1
Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W30 :
KV100 (cSt) 10.2
VI 158

*Would this then make the Valvoline at or near the top in using the lessor amount of VII's ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back