New Castrol GTX Ultraclean Syn Blend 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at WM today and noticed Synblend 0w20... nothing about it after a search here, nor much about it online at all. What's the scoop? This seems significantly less expensive than any other regular priced 0w20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Run away.I highly recommend the Castrol Magnatec 0w20 over this AND most other otc oils in 0w20. Great product the Magnatec but this synblend needs to go somewhere-
50.gif

First time I've seen a 0W20 syn blend. Didn't know a 0W can be blend! Thought the lowest that could be a blend was 5W.
What's next? 0W20 dino?

Use to run GTX back in the day but haven't for years now. Can't recall why I stopped.. price maybe? At $19 for 5qts for a blend, it's competing with some very good full syn's at that price point.

From Castrol:
"GTX ULTRACLEAN DELIVERS:
• 45% superior sludge protection compared to tough industry standards**
• Advanced protection against viscosity and thermal breakdown
• Superior protection against high-temperature deposits
• Premium-quality base oils and anti-wear additives that help extend the life of your engine

* When tested in engines with a high level of sludge.
** 45% cleaner than the industry standard as measured in the Sequence VH Sludge test"

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...ol-gtx-brand/castrol-gtx-ultraclean.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
First time I've seen a 0W20 syn blend. Didn't know a 0W can be blend! Thought the lowest that could be a blend was 5W.
What's next? 0W20 dino?

Honda has had a 0W-20 blend for years. I think Pennzoil and QS also make blends...

Yep most Castrol Magnatec oils, which were semi-synthetic, have been upgraded to full synthetic. While most mineral GTX oils have been upgraded to semi-synthetic GTX UltraClean. Most, but a few exceptions exist.

Here in Oz they have released Castrol GTX UltraClean 15W-40 semi-synthetic which is API SN/CF and Euro ACEA A3/B3. It's almost always on half price sale at something like $20 for 5L, that's a smoking hot price for Australia where vanilla M1 5W30 costs $100 for a 5L jug.

Given the price, yes I have used it, and yes I have a few extra jugs lined up in my stash. It works fine and I typically run it 8,000 to 10,000 km (5k to 6k miles) without concern.

Sorry I can't comment about the thinner stuff. But it's a name brand oil that's rated API SN / SN-Plus and ILSAC GF-5, so if that is what you require, it should do the job.

BTW Yes, we are allowed to run thick oils in everything in Oz, it's in the constitution or something.

I believe Maxlife semi-syn was available in 0w-20 2 or 3 years ago. $19 for a blend when you can get full syn for basically the same price.
21.gif

If my vehicles required 0w20, I would not consider anything but full synthetic..... especially if the price differences between full and blend was only a couple dollars difference.
Magnatec over GTX Ultraclean everyday of the week and twice on Sunday

Pennzoil Gold 0w20 is a blend, but good luck finding it on store shelves.

I'm wondering of these 0w20 blends are really much of a blend. They may contain 1 drop of conventional oil, or less. I wonder if marketing is at play because the price of full synthetics has gotten so competitive? Maybe it is a full synthetic or close to it and they are just filling a niche spot in their marketing portfolio, so as not to lose a certain kind of buyer.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Use to run GTX back in the day but haven't for years now. Can't recall why I stopped.. price maybe? At $19 for 5qts for a blend, it's competing with some very good full syn's at that price point.

From Castrol:
"GTX ULTRACLEAN DELIVERS:
• 45% superior sludge protection compared to tough industry standards**
• Advanced protection against viscosity and thermal breakdown
• Superior protection against high-temperature deposits
• Premium-quality base oils and anti-wear additives that help extend the life of your engine

* When tested in engines with a high level of sludge.
** 45% cleaner than the industry standard as measured in the Sequence VH Sludge test"

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...ol-gtx-brand/castrol-gtx-ultraclean.html
It reads like any other oil container.

Castrol Edge black bottle 0W20 has a tbn of near 12. I'm guessing that means it's a pretty serious oil!

Originally Posted by IndyFan

I'm wondering of these 0w20 blends are really much of a blend. They may contain 1 drop of conventional oil, or less. I wonder if marketing is at play because the price of full synthetics has gotten so competitive? Maybe it is a full synthetic or close to it and they are just filling a niche spot in their marketing portfolio, so as not to lose a certain kind of buyer.

Think this may be it. Lots of marketing spin as more and more Group 3 in all oils. Complaints on Amazon by customers that VWB semi syn isn't "real oil".

Originally Posted by IndyFan

I think you are right. They have syn version and syn blend may get more customers that don't want syn in their cars ... Next thing is 0W20 dino to get a couple more customers.
grin2.gif

If you can call any semi syn a full synthetic, then you should be able to call a European full Synthetic oil a dino. I assume any oil would have some non syn elements in there so it can be called conventional/dino oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back