Tire question anyone using “nankang sp-9 cross sport” or “achilles 122” ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tire question anyone using "nankang sp-9 cross sport" or "achilles 122" brand/model tires ? Have a difficult to find size on my car [205 60 14] & don't want to deviate from stock size & these are two of the widely available models - thanks for your help everybody

I have the Achilles 686 All Seasons on my wife's Corolla for the past couple thousand of miles. They do really well in the snow and on ice. We have had a couple of good snow storms and they worked great. They only cost 43 dollars per tire at Walmart.

Thanks so much for your help/feedback - do you find them noisy or pretty quiet? Do they ride pretty comfortably over bumps small potholes etc? Steering feel pretty good with the Achilles?

I have the Nankang NS-25s (235-55-17)on my caravan. The SP-9 were also a consideration in my size. They're louder than the Cooper cs5s that were on it before but theyre also about .75 inch wider and a "ultra high performance" instead of the cooper touring tire.
I was on the fence about the Nankangs but couldn't find much negative feedback. I wasn't going to drop $160 each for an US made 80k mile tire to self destruct in 40k miles and 5 years on a 200k caravan.
I recommend them to a co worker but he didn't want an Asian tire so he went went to his local Firestone and bought some Vietnamese made firestone champion tires

Last edited:
195/60R14 and 185/65R14 were also stock sizes for a '91 Celica with same 14" wheels, and have more choices. Do what you want but I don't see stock size being the issue.

One thing I'd be sure to do is ask the seller what the age of the tire is. Uncommon sizes sell slow.

Originally Posted by TViS
Thanks so much for your help/feedback - do you find them noisy or pretty quiet? Do they ride pretty comfortably over bumps small potholes etc? Steering feel pretty good with the Achilles?

They are actually pretty quiet. Road noise on the highway is a lot better and they handle bumps and expansion joints on the highway better as well. For 43 bucks a tire, I am extremely happy. Achilles are an Indonesian tire and had support from Pirelli and Continental years ago when they were first starting up.

I couldn't really find any negative reviews on the tires, which is why I initially bought them over Chinese brands.

Originally Posted by Soggydog
I have the Nankang NS-25s (235-55-17)on my caravan. The SP-9 were also a consideration in my size. They're louder than the Cooper cs5s that were on it before but theyre also about .75 inch wider and a "ultra high performance" instead of the cooper touring tire.
I was on the fence about the Nankangs but couldn't find much negative feedback. I wasn't going to drop $160 each for an US made 80k mile tire to self destruct in 40k miles and 5 years on a 200k caravan.
I recommend them to a co worker but he didn't want an Asian tire so he went went to his local Firestone and bought some Vietnamese made firestone champion tires

That's kind of where I was at with my wife's Corolla and my Scion, which are 100% city vehicles that commute within 5 miles of my home. I chose the Achilles for hers from Walmart and "Iron man" Chinese tires from Discount Tire. Both of the vehicles do well with them and I'd buy them again.

I've been seeing those tires around lately, Nankang is a Taiwanese tire maker like Federal and Maxxis/Cheng Shin.

I just looked up Achilles and looks like Michelin has bought out their parent company. Now that Michelin's 3rd/4th tier lines(Uniroyal and Riken) are made in Indonesia and Taiwan instead of their past relationship with Hankook(as they did when they reintroduced Uniroyal as a "value" tire as well as the Costco-exclusive Touring T/A Pro Series). Michelin also owns Warrior Tire in China too.

https://www.michelin.com/en/press-r...-de-lindustrie-pneumatique-en-indonesie/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back