Mens dress shoes for those on their feet all day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know exactly what you do because I was both a Principal and an Assistant at the HS level for 22 years.
I wore a suit or Sportcoat/Slacks four days a week, and usually Dockers and a School Polo or sweater on Fridays.
I found Four options: Florsheim Comforttech, Bostonian has an equivalent that is excellent, Rockport and Sketchers has a couple of styles of dressy loafers that look good with suits and can be used for casual uses as well.

Rockports are an pretty good casual dress show that are both comfortable and reasonably durable. My personal favorites that tend to be more dressy are Allen Edmonds. They cost more but can be rebuilt.. The rebuild can be as much as some other shoes. Very durable and incredibly comfortable. As someone said above they are not cushy but most have leather soles. I prefer what they call a double oak basically a double thick leather sole. Provides more stability and if you find yourself on a stone drive you don't feel the rocks. Allen Edmonds can last decades with proper care and daily wear so the cost can be justified vs replacing with new shoes every year. Johnston and Murphy are mixed some are equally great while others are not and you have to really know how to pick them.

Deals can be found on all of them if the price is somewhat standoff. Check Ebay or Amazon. I have found some at Goodwill for like $5 that looked like they were never worn but that is hit or miss.

Last edited:
Clarks has some round toed dress casuals with some comfort underneath - most of their shiny stuff is pretty much black or brown.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
No problems with Ecco here. They may not be the most fashionable, but they are very comfortable.

+1

Spend the money. Shoes and mattresses = Spend all you can afford.

I have over 10 pairs of dress/casual shoes (not counting "sneakers"). On Sunday I always wear my Allen Edmonds in the pulpit.
On days I am more casual, I find I almost always go with one of the 2 pairs of ECCO's. Either black plain toe or the brown bike toe
slip ons. Both Helsinkis.

Oh, you might want to experiment with the type of socks you wear. Socks may a huge difference in how your feet feel at 6 pm.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Clarks has some round toed dress casuals with some comfort underneath - most of their shiny stuff is pretty much black or brown.

+1

I really thought my Clark's were very comfortable...

Originally Posted by dja4260
I'm really hard on my shoes. I'm on my feet all day, at times crawling or on my hands and knees. I typically spendabout $75 for a pair of oxfords and find that they don't last and my feet hurt.

I'm looking at ECCO Helsinki Oxfords @ $125.00 as the salesman swears by them.

Anyone on here have experience with a quality $100-$150 dollar oxford?

Red Wing. I have seen their dress shoes (wouldn't look out of place on Wall Street) that were quite comfortable. They were also OSHA-approved nonskid, safety toe and puncture-resistant.

Failing that, think outside the (shoe) box: a pair of good (black) boots.

You should love the Allen Edmonds shoes. Money well spent. I have three pairs, including a pair of Roanoke casual shoes that are still great after 23 years of regular and then occasional use. And if you really like them, you can send them to Edmonds to be refurbished when they need it.

I worked standing for many years. Clark's were some of the best shoes I owned. The wider toe really helps.

ECCO are the only shoe I wear these days. Discovered them when looking for golf shoes where I couldn't feel the spike mounts in the soles. Out of the box they were more comfortable than any shoe I've ever worn.

Now everything is ECCO: Dress, sneaker, casual, sandals. Super comfortable and wear like iron. Just retired a pair of ECCO sneakers about ten years old, soles looked like new, but I tore the uppers.

I just wish ECCO made bowling shoes, hockey skates, and safety shoes for work.

Google ECCO shoes and you'll find a lot of unhappy people, including myself, who had the polyurethane soles disintegrate in short time -- well before the uppers show any distress. You get at most 2-3 years out of them. Every one of the six pairs I had did this.

I don't wear oxfords, per say but I do spend 12+ hrs on my feet per shift. Currently in year 2 going on 3 of my Red Wings slip ons. I do occasionally alternate with a Merrel Jungle Moc but 80% of the days are the RW. I will be looking at them first when its time to replace.

I have a bad foot from a childhood injury and a comfortable shoe is a big deal to me. I love my Hush Puppies model GUS.

In black they look good enough for formal occasions, and I wear them for everything from weddings to walking for exercise. They are light weight and have a thick sole that absorbs impact nice.

I buy two pair every black Friday. And keep a couple of new pair in reserve. If one pair gets wet I set them aside to dry and change socks and put on the other pair. If a really formal occasion comes up and both of the pair I am currently using are too old, I break out a new pair, use them for the formal, and them put them away to be used when the two pair I am currently rotating get worn out.

I use to go through two pair in about 12 months, now days 2 pair seam to last about 18 months.

It is a really great all purpose shoe that is very comfortable, extremely light weight, looks good, and last long enough. They are comfortable enough that through the day you forget you are wearing shoes and never give them a thought.

Rockport World Tour
[Linked Image]

They come in a variety of colors, wide widths if needed and usually run about $100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back