2005 Honda Accord LX oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just bought it and trying to figure out whether I should use 5w20 semi synthetic that came with the vehicle or just use conventional 5w20. It's a 4cyl with 106k miles. Unfortunately I don't have any maintenance records. It is a one owner vehicle that I bought from someone that basically flipped it. Engine looks bone dry from what I can tell. I just don't want to create problems down the line with seals leaking/weeping. Any thoughts?

I have an `07 Accord SE 2.4. I run have run Amsoil 0w-20 and Amsoil 5w-20. Many people have run this engine on any oil 0w-20, 5w-20, 0w-30 and 5w-30, synthetic or regular or semi synthetic. Any reputable brand. Change oil and filter accordingly and this engine is know to run almost forever.

Mine does burn about 1 qt per 6000 miles. Most do.

Recently bought an '09 Accord EX-L coupe myself with the 2.4 I-4 I-VTEC, 120,xxx miles.
One owner, dealer serviced since new. Serviced right before we bought it. No oil usage in 3,000 miles, oil is still clean and the MM shows 60 percent oil life.
Debating using 5-20 HM full synth just because of the price or HM syn blend.

Conventional or synthetic, doesn't matter. The K24 won't care. Just change it regularly and keep it topped off if it burns any. I have 195k miles on my 2005 Accord LX and run whatever oil is the cheapest.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Conventional or synthetic, doesn't matter. The K24 won't care. Just change it regularly and keep it topped off if it burns any. I have 195k miles on my 2005 Accord LX and run whatever oil is the cheapest.

So you run conventional now? Did you run semi synthetic ever?

Originally Posted by deoxy4
If you can wait until Walmart restocks next week, this is very good deal on Quaker State Advanced Conventional 5W20. You need to buy the rollback package deal where the price is $7.50/5 quarts. It is a SN+ rated oil probably a semi-synthetic in reality. I plan on using it in my 2003 Honda for 5-6K miles or 6 months.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5344849/1

Great find!

Originally Posted by Kamil250

Yes, I am running conventional in it now. But I wouldn't be apposed to semi or full synthetic one bit.

Originally Posted by deoxy4
If you can wait until Walmart restocks next week, this is very good deal on Quaker State Advanced Conventional 5W20. You need to buy the rollback package deal where the price is $7.50/5 quarts. It is a SN+ rated oil probably a semi-synthetic in reality. I plan on using it in my 2003 Honda for 5-6K miles or 6 months.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5344849/1

Great find!

One 6x5 quart Quaker State Advanced Conventional 5W20 is back in stock.

Just like you were advised in your reddit post, you can use almost anything in this with no issues.

No such thing as a conventional 5wxx except on the bottle. Interesting to see Amazon customers dissing Valvoline for rebranding conventional as semi-syn. Even though they state plainly that the oil is the same, people give them one star 'cause it's not real oil. Can't win in marketing.

Last edited:
I personally like the Quaker State High Mileage Syn Blend 5W20 with a really nice dose of Moly. Hard to beat Wal Marts Full Synthetic 5 quart jugs for under 15 bucks also. I always purchase the Fram Ultras and run them 3X for oil changes.

I've tried many different oils in mine. Everything from 10W30 to 0W20. QSUD 0W20 is my current oil. Runs smooth as glass!! Triple digit moly in QSUD. No oil usage whatsoever. 96K miles on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back