Dealer damaged panel & paint during service - how far do I take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
My dad went nuclear when his newer truck was damaged while in for service and they said, oh that's just lot damage, we don't cover that.

I say, blow them up.

Blow them up for trying to make things right?

If they haven't painted it yet, I would talk directly to the body shop and let them know that you expect them to spend a few extra minutes to get a great paint match. Let them know in a pleasant way that it will be better for everyone if this is a once and done repair. An excellent job will be undetectable and it will last until you retire the car.

It is difficult for some of us to separate the importance level of material things vs. what really matters. I struggle. Perspective falls into place when life throws a really big curve ball. A general statement from me and not directed at anyone besides myself! Good day everyone.

Originally Posted by Railrust
If this was a GM dealer, they'd deny it and blame you for hitting something in their parking lot.

Maybe yours. Dealers are independently owned and operated and they vary greatly.

To me what they did was better than parking that side close to a wall or another car like some would do and when you called about it deny the whole thing.
They did the right thing IMO.

It's funny to see so many people saying the dealer is good for letting him know...really? They were clearly hedging and hoping that somehow the damage would be
missed or they could somehow get out of repairing it with all the delays. I will give them that instead of automatically trying to blame the owner they admitted responsibility quickly. That isn't usual in many cases. So yes, a slightly better than average store. Of course average in this industry is terrible.
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif

It's an 8 year old Jetta. A Volkswagen Jetta. It is probably worth a whole lot less than you think it is, especially at wholesale. No offense but the resale of Volkswagen diesel has plummeted due to certain... incidents. They already agreed to do the body work and repaint it so I would let it go at that. The shop must already be underwater on this repair order by quite a bit. Their out of pocket is way more than they got reimbursed by Volkswagen for the roof repair. At most I would grimace a bit but say thank you for taking care of me.

That is just me though. Best of luck to you.

After it's fixed you won't even be able to tell, I mean it's a door, no structure or severe damage, they fixed it, you had a rental....document it, and if issues arise down the road which more than likely will not you have proof that area was damaged.

People saying they would take the car back.....get a life. I can just imagine what people like you are to deal with in general. That is seriously although annoying minimal damage, that shouldn't have happened.....which you won't and anyone looking at your car will know happened. Bottom line is it got fixed, sure they could went about communication better, but to many people overreact to little things like this when there is more important things in life to put as much energy into, let alone one that got rectified.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I wouldn't want anything from them. I'd never take my car back.

Ya sounds like a reasonable response to minor damage that was repaired. I know people in auto sales who will legitimately lose a sale purposely if they have to deal with "reasonable" people like you. You can tell the ball breakers, from the things happen type ASAP when being in the industry. Must be nice to live in a perfect world where such major disasters like this don't happen.
lol.gif

I'm sure whoever did this, totally meant to do this on purpose. And he was jumping for joy that he did this. More to life than a ding on a door that got fixed, at little to no convenience to the customer. If only people gave this much of a crap at the real issues in society or their life.

Last edited:
2012 Jetta....nah just let them paint it. It's 7 years old. Probably had dings in the door already and now being fixed for free.

Good luck in deed. That color group is one of the hardest colors to match. In certain light at certain angles, it will not likely match the panels beside it. Even if it does at first, it likely won't in a year. Just because it's a dealership doesn't necessarily mean they have a body shop that's better than anybody else. Again...good luck.

Originally Posted by wdn
It's an 8 year old Jetta. A Volkswagen Jetta. It is probably worth a whole lot less than you think it is, especially at wholesale. No offense but the resale of Volkswagen diesel has plummeted due to certain... incidents. They already agreed to do the body work and repaint it so I would let it go at that. The shop must already be underwater on this repair order by quite a bit. Their out of pocket is way more than they got reimbursed by Volkswagen for the roof repair. At most I would grimace a bit but say thank you for taking care of me.

Yeah, I didn't want to be that guy but you're right. Just because it's pristine doesn't mean it's worth a whole lot more than an average 8 year old jetta station wagon. I learned my lesson young. Bought my first new car at 23. At 24 it got totaled and I learned that no one cars how well you took care of it. It's a commodity. A hunk of metal and wires. Stop stressing over it.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by wdn

Yeah, I didn't want to be that guy but you're right. Just because it's pristine doesn't mean it's worth a whole lot more than an average 8 year old jetta station wagon. I learned my lesson young. Bought my first new car at 23. At 24 it got totaled and I learned that no one cars how well you took care of it. It's a commodity. A hunk of metal and wires. Stop stressing over it.

There is a certain pride of ownership that you can enjoy IF you take good care of your vehicle. It is rewarding.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by wdn

There is a certain pride of ownership that you can enjoy IF you take good care of your vehicle. It is rewarding.

No doubt. But if something goes sideways don't expect to be compensated for your extraordinary efforts.

Originally Posted by wdn
They already agreed to do the body work and repaint it so I would let it go at that. The shop must already be underwater on this repair order by quite a bit. Their out of pocket is way more than they got reimbursed by Volkswagen for the roof repair.
That's their problem. They make their money in other places, there is no need for OP to subsidize them.

Since they stepped up and admitted the issue, put you in a rental car and paying the rental bill, and are making efforts to make repairs, I believe I'd wait and see the outcome. If it looks perfect and they provide you with a paint warranty, I'd say let it be. It seems to me they are trying to do right by you and given they have done well for you in the past, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt unless they prove differently.

Originally Posted by wdn

Originally Posted by wdn

Actually those diesels are increasing in value. The demand is very high regardless of what the media claims.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by wdn

Originally Posted by wdn

Actually those diesels are increasing in value. The demand is very high regardless of what the media claims.

There is increased demand for used diesel station wagons? I wouldn't have thought it but I checked cargurus and prices for those Jetta diesel wagons is higher than I expected.

There is increased demand for used diesel station wagons? I wouldn't have thought it but I checked cargurus and prices for those Jetta diesel wagons is higher than I expected.

The fact is even if these cars are modified by VW to meet the correct emissions standards here in the USA they are still great MPGs and good to drive too.
People love them, the only ones that don't are a few greeny weenies and the EPA.

I can tell you if VW started offering these diesels new again tomorrow in the USA (they still sell them elsewhere) they would still sell just as well if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back