460 Revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the barrel length has a lot to do with feet per second and distance....short barrels fps slows way down, cant burn all the powder off...

I actually think this would be a good gun to own....

You can load it up with .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460, depending on the power needed. There are many loads within each of those calibers. It's a big gun. Good for a variety of handgun purposes that need serious power, like hunting or bear defense.

That's the excuse I would use for buying it too, though your chances of being struck by lightning are greater than a bear attack.

Originally Posted by wdn
That's the excuse I would use for buying it too, though your chances of being struck by lightning are greater than a bear attack.

[Linked Image from img.ifunny.co]

I have 460's in both pistol and rifle on Encore frames. They can be punishing with certain loads but they are lots of fun!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Put any part of your finger next to the cylinder gap and bye bye finger.

These things are experts guns and limited use in my estimation.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

Well LOL they certainly aren't designed for pocket carry.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I actually think this would be a good gun to own....

You can load it up with .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460, depending on the power needed. There are many loads within each of those calibers. It's a big gun. Good for a variety of handgun purposes that need serious power, like hunting or bear defense.

There isn't much you can't do with a .454 to take on the added size of the .460 size guns.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by bubbatime

Well LOL they certainly aren't designed for pocket carry.

Unless your Chuck Norris! Sorry, wrong thread.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Remember the barrel length has a lot to do with feet per second and distance....short barrels fps slows way down, cant burn all the powder off...

I do believe most of the powder is burnt in the first inch or so--if you don't have flame coming out of the cylinder gap, then it's completely combusted. If you have flame come out of the muzzle, ok then you've got a point.

A longer barrel allows the hot expanding gasses more time to push against the bullet thus increasing its speed. I'm not sure where the tipping point is, I believe for 22LR its around 16 inches or so when longer becomes a detriment, but I'm guessing every caliber and every powder choice is probably going to be different. All the 38spl's I've shot I've assumed have had the powder combusted probably before the bullet moves; I think the 158 +P's are the same. Now I did recently shoot some Remington 125grn +P's and those had some flame out the cylinder gap, so the lighter bullet moved faster, plus I suspect that may have had some slower burning powder.

Here's my wife's handiwork.. She has a thing for big bore guns and really wants a 500S&W for some reason. Anyway she found out our range had a 460 for rent so for date night I rented it for her

20180216_184848.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back