WD 40 as a lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by Trav
Great stuff for many things! As Cline said there is nothing better for rubber hoses and O rings and rubber boots. Tool cleaning, removing glue from labels, driving moisture out of parts and switches and all sorts of there things and its harmless to plastics and electrics.

Is WD40 better than Brake Cleaner?

It depend on what you want to do with it. For some things yes but to blast muck and old grease away quickly from metal surfaces brake cleaner is hard to beat.
WD do no harm to hoses, rubber, o rings, plastic. Moog recommends it for installing their failed rubber boots. keep in mind that almost nothing is made of 100% natural rubber anymore and the solvent part of WD is not a hot solvent, if anything its closer in solvency to prep sol than super hot lacquer thinner or acetone.

Had a bad squeak in a Vasque hiking boot. Yes, I know, they'll squeak until they're paid for.
laugh.gif
Had coffee with an older buddy and mentioned it. He asked if I tried WD40. I gave it a shot, spraying the seams between the sole and the boot and also where some metal rivets were located on the heel. No more squeak.
smile.gif

I ask this after using WD 40 as an easy spray lubricant/cooling agent on Oster dog clippers.
Oster recommends (demand) you use their Cool product, but I tried WD 40 one time when I ran out and it seems to work better,
and the blade operates quiter.

I mentioned this to a hairdresser (yes, I know
crackmeup2.gif
) and she just about had a fit accusing me of clipper abuse;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back