2019 Subaru Impreza hatchback, FB20 w/CVT , Rotella 5w-30 MV, 5820 miles OCI

Impreza had 18195 miles at OC. Is a DD with a good mix of trips less than 10 miles and between 11 to 50 miles. 80/20 split local/highway..

First UOA is on Castrol Edge 0w-20. Switched to Rotella 5w-30 Multi-Vehicle on second OC.

Personally, I feel the viscosity numbers as well as the TBN are encouraging. Other numbers meh but still young engine and believe next UOA will show wear numbers trending lower and possibly set benchmark for this particular vehicle going forward.

Added LM M0S2 to oil change back in August which explains the moly in this UOA.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 121
Why aren't you keeping the Impreza on 0W20 motor oil like Subaru says in the owners manual, and like your other two cars that also take 0W20? Just curious: having three 0W20 cars and switching one of them.

I agree, especially in the FB20, which is hardly stressed compared to the FA20DIT. You can certainly keep 5W30, but there would be no concern to switch back to the recommended 0W20 and run 6K OCIs without ever paying for another UOA, which would then pay for the next OCI down the line. Just a thought... FB20s are not known for issues, especially this early in life.

Looking at the report, It appears you have at least 4K more miles of life in that oil.

I way overrun the OCI and back it up with a UOA. with less wear than average.

I wouldn't run a 30 in that engine. If you are worried about dilution just substitute one qt of a same brand/range xXw30 to the sump of 0W20

I have a '17 ( wife's car) with 2 UOA posted on here.

If you live in a warm climate, 5W20 can be used, of course.

I have not driven the complete new design.

I hope its a solid as the old one. I do know they have seeming more leg room for the driver
having sat in a re-designed Impreza.

enjoy!

BTW - Stop putting LiquiMoly solid moly dispersion in there, this a big No-No on a full-flo filtered, pressure lubed engine.
especially one that already has moly-coated piston skirts

The new direct injected FB20 engine was not just a tweak of the old design: more than 80% of the components in the new direct injected engine are new compared to the non-DI version. [Reference: https://www.torquenews.com/1084/her...017-impreza-it-gets-2-important-upgrades]

Now they have had a few years to do incremental improvements on it. The direct injected FB20 appears to be their best engine now which is notable because that is in their "budget" vehicle. HP went up a bit 4 HP to 152, but the fuel economy went up a lot. It is amazing AWD hatchback gets 36 MPG highway. It is the same interior room as the Crosstrek. There is no fuel dilution issues either. That by itself puts the 2.0 way ahead of a lot of DI engines.

It seems like a very tight engine.

Good report, looks like the engine hasn't washed away all the break in material, so next report should look even better!

The oil stayed in grade and with a TBN of still 4.0, you could go for longer OCI.

Rotella MV is a personal favorite and it's what I use in my turbo subaru.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
How much MOS2 did you put in? I don't see high moly numbers.

aquariuscsm

I question the number as well. I put in the recommended amount. Doesn't seem accurate.

Originally Posted by wdn
Why aren't you keeping the Impreza on 0W20 motor oil like Subaru says in the owners manual, and like your other two cars that also take 0W20? Just curious: having three 0W20 cars and switching one of them.

wdn

I just replied to your question posted in the Engine Filter forum. Should've read this one thread first I guess...lol

Link https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...15-filter-after-12-295-miles#Post5329395

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I agree, especially in the FB20, which is hardly stressed compared to the FA20DIT. You can certainly keep 5W30, but there would be no concern to switch back to the recommended 0W20 and run 6K OCIs without ever paying for another UOA, which would then pay for the next OCI down the line. Just a thought... FB20s are not known for issues, especially this early in life.

SubieRubyRoo

I hear you. Short explanation can be found through link I provided wdn above.

I tend to run an oil for a minimum of 3 OCI's for continuity of numbers unless there is something egregious happening. Best way I know to set baselines for a given brand. Nothing wrong with changing brands every OCI...I prefer the continuity for documentation as a preference.

To me the biggest issue is ilsac5 vs HDEO and corresponding additives.

No harm no foul either way.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Looking at the report, It appears you have at least 4K more miles of life in that oil.

I way overrun the OCI and back it up with a UOA. with less wear than average.

I wouldn't run a 30 in that engine. If you are worried about dilution just substitute one qt of a same brand/range xXw30 to the sump of 0W20

I have a '17 ( wife's car) with 2 UOA posted on here.

If you live in a warm climate, 5W20 can be used, of course.

I have not driven the complete new design.

I hope its a solid as the old one. I do know they have seeming more leg room for the driver
having sat in a re-designed Impreza.

enjoy!

BTW - Stop putting LiquiMoly solid moly dispersion in there, this a big No-No on a full-flo filtered, pressure lubed engine.
especially one that already has moly-coated piston skirts

ARCOgraphite

I agree the report looks good for longevity. I am not against longer OCI's once I feel a given engine has set its baseline. Not really worried about fuel dilution at this point until a UOA points to it.

I have driven Subaru's since '85 with the '19 being the 5th. Great little cars for the money. Managed to survive the head gasket issue with the '01...lol. Too early to tell on the '19 but I have no reason to expect anything but 12+ years and 200k+ on this car as I have gotten in the past.

LM MOS2 was a one off since I choose a HDEO at 12k miles and know that it lacks any moly as the engine continues its break-in. Not worried about it since it is a DD and OCI is ~6 months. Agreed suspended moly is not a good option for some cars...definitely for those that site for weeks or longer.

If I make it 11 more years...I'll be sure to post the 12 year status of the '19...lol

Originally Posted by jbutch
Good report, looks like the engine hasn't washed away all the break in material, so next report should look even better!

The oil stayed in grade and with a TBN of still 4.0, you could go for longer OCI.

Rotella MV is a personal favorite and it's what I use in my turbo subaru.

jbutch

Agreed report looks good given engine still young. Hopefully next OCI or two will set baseline for this car and I can consider extending OCI.

I agree with your assessment of Rotella MV...seems to a good oil. As stated in post to SubieRubyRoo, I tend to run a given oil for a minimum of 3 OCI's so I get a good idea of how it performs long term in this particular engine. Every engine is different.

Uoa looks good.

I personally wouldn't run a HDEO in a Subaru FB DI engine. But I wouldn't run Subaru's 0w20 either.

I'd run Valvoline Synthetic or Castrol Edge in 0w20 and keep the OCI on the factory recommended intervals. I'm lucky in that my local Subie dealer is a Hendrick dealer and only uses Valvoline in their shop because that's the oil sponsor on their stock cars. My wife's Forester gets regular dealer oil changes with their Valvoline bulk synthetic 0w20.

My modded and tuned STi sees a steady diet of Redline 5w40. But it has one of the last EJ series engines.

Been around subies my whole life. No matter what you chose, just keep up with the schedule maintenance and the car will serve you well.

I agree with your point about CARB being a lot of politics. The new FB20 engine is spec'ed for 0W20 oil in other countries too, not just the United States. Subaru Australia also says use 0W20 for the Impreza.

Originally Posted by OS4A
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
How much MOS2 did you put in? I don't see high moly numbers.

aquariuscsm

I question the number as well. I put in the recommended amount. Doesn't seem accurate.

Without knowing how much oil your engine holds, please tell us the number of MOS2 ounces used. I decided on a half bottle (6-1/2oz) with five quarts of oil. That's currently inside my Santa Fe.

Triple_Se7en

4.7 qts so added ~6 oz LM MOS2.

I did question Blackstone about the number and the response was that is what tested out. I had assumed it would higher.

This go-a-round I added Lubegard.

oil changes are CHEEP especially DIY + the minimal mpg gain with xxw20's why bother!! engines are $$$ as are the internals that might need replacement with longer oil changes especially with thinner oils! penny wise is DOLLAR $$$$ foolish IMO

Back