Inner tie rod ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you grease rakc and pinion inner tie rod ends? Going to be doing a front even overhaul with Moog on my F150 and would like to pre-grease the inners with my moly grease. They do come decently greased with a blue, likely lithium, grease. I notice there are little holes 180 degrees apart on the wrench flats on the socket as well as one at the very end of the socket threads, can I just a injector nozzle to force grease or is it not a patent lumen to the ball socket? These ends don't have a dedicated grease boot as they are contained within the r&p boot. You can kind of see one of the holes I'm talking about at the top of this picture:

Moog EV800457
[Linked Image from rockauto.com]

I've never in all my years greased an inner tie rod prior to installation. Compared to other suspension components, they articulate relatively little, and are completely shrouded by the tie rod boot. I see no reason to add any additional grease.

You could but I have never done it. When they reman racks many times they don't replace the inner rods as they are still okay, getting the boots off, replacing them and getting them sealed up again is more than the job is worth IMO.

You may do more harm than good trying to add more grease. They are pre greased, and if you add grease that isn't compatible, it will cause the grease to seperate and get thin and watery and run out of the part.

I installed new inner and outer tie rods on my 2011 Dodge Charger before the snows came last year. The new inners are pre-greased and are shrouded in the boot on that end. I never grease them as there isn't a way to do it. I've replaced many Chrysler LX platform front ends and had no issues (maybe because they need replacing more often?) ...Ž.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back