Stone Valve Cover Gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I volunteered to reseal the valve covers on a Tacoma 3.4L V6 and since this was a low-budget job, I used an inexpensive valve cover gasket kit from our supplier that was made by "Stone." For only $54, the kit included both valve cover gaskets, the spark plug tube seals, pcv grommet, cam caps and the valve cover bolt washer/grommets. Despite the low price, I expected quality since the kit was Made in Japan.

As you may see in the pictures below, the new gaskets appear to be abnormally "compressed." To me, these new gaskets are barely taller than the ones I removed. Luckily the gaskets fit well into the groove, but were very "compressed" from a height standpoint. The valve cover bolt washers/grommets were also bulging after I torqued the bolts to spec and spec is only 53 inch-lbs.

For now, the oil leak has stopped but I have a feeling that these gaskets will not last more than a few years.

Does anyone have experience with the Stone brand of gaskets?

http://www.stone-tkk.com/stone/
https://www.carid.com/stone/engine-valve-cover-gasket-set-mpn-jvs-10420.html

AB877B3D-781D-450B-B6B5-FDFA21E0274D.jpeg

48C2DF84-44B3-42B5-9E86-9AE3380BC71D.jpeg

Last edited:
Ishino Stone use to make Toyota factory gaskets. Who knows now since Corteco runs the show.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Ishino Stone use to make Toyota factory gaskets. Who knows now since Corteco runs the show.

Yes, that is what I was going to say - about them being "Ishino Stone". FWIW I used a set on my old Accord a while back and several years later they are holding up fine.

I did the valve cover gaskets along with all the other gaskets (resealed the half moons etc) on my 3.4L a few months back with all Toyota OEM parts. I was amazed as to how hard and brittle the gaskets had become. My varnish looked very similar to yours as well in that picture. Not a hard job but I broke the [censored] out of the plastic shrowd on my wiring loom protector on the drivers side. What a pain that was.

Did you change the gaskets on the spark plug tubes too?

Originally Posted by ad244
I did the valve cover gaskets along with all the other gaskets (resealed the half moons etc) on my 3.4L a few months back with all Toyota OEM parts. I was amazed as to how hard and brittle the gaskets had become. My varnish looked very similar to yours as well in that picture. Not a hard job but I broke the [censored] out of the plastic shrowd on my wiring loom protector on the drivers side. What a pain that was.

This one crumbled as well.

Yes, I replaced the spark plug tube seals. Surprisingly, the old gaskets were not very brittle but they still leaked like a sieve.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by ad244

This one crumbled as well.

Yes, I replaced the spark plug tube seals. Surprisingly, the old gaskets were not very brittle but they still leaked like a sieve.

Nice!!

Next up U joints for my Tacoma. 235K Strong.

Ishino Stone is an OE supplier and could be a reboxed OE gasket set

Many Fel-Pro and Beck/Arnley gaskets for Japanese cars are reboxed OE stuff too, possibly also Ishino/Stone

I used Victor Reinz a few years ago for a 4th gen Maxima, and they were made in Japan. Most likely reboxed OEM, probably Ishino/Stone. Lasted 30k with no problem, and I got rid of the car without them leaking again

I've had valve cover gaskets as you describe - seemed too "thin" to seal but they sealed fine. My bet is you will be fine especially since others are saying that brand is an OEM supplier.

Ishino is part of Corteco, which part of Freudenberg - one of the major suppliers of seals, gaskets and CAFs. Freudenberg has a JV with NOK in the US - Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies that makes TransTec rebuild kits and pistons for ATs.

I'd trust them over a Chinese white box gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back