Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 vs. Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 compared

Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 has becoming popular lately because SUVs and pickup trucks are popular, and this oil claims to be tailored for them. However, is it for real or a marketing hype? I just did a quick calculation for it and Shell Rotella T6 Multivehicle 5W-30:

Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30

KV40 = 66.4 cSt
KV100 = 11.7 cSt
VI = 173
density = 0.836
HTHS (estimated) = 3.0 cP
Base-oil viscosity at 150 C (calculated/estimated) = 1.8 cP
Relative VII content (calculated/estimated) = 10%

Rotella T6 Multivehicle 5W-30

KV40 = 75 cSt
KV100 = 12.1 cSt
VI = 159
density = 0.845
HTHS (estimated) = 3.5 cP
Base-oil viscosity at 150 C (calculated/estimated) = 2.6 cP
Relative VII content (calculated/estimated) = 4%

Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 seems to be loaded with VII, which is exactly the opposite of what you want in a demanding engine like a gas-truck engine, as excess VII increases wear and increases engine and turbocharger deposits. However, higher VII content increases fuel economy.

Rotella Multivehicle 5W-30 has a low VII content. The base oil is very thick, which will reduce wear. Engine and turbocharger deposits will also be less. However, the fuel economy will be lower.

Moral of the story: Don't go with the marketing hype -- go with the certifications. Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 has the same certifications as any synthetic 5W-30. Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 packs all kinds of heavy-duty certifications and OEM approvals. If you are looking for a better oil, you can also look for ACEA certifications.

Disclaimer: The calculations/estimates are only based on the viscosity data. There is no way to estimate the quality of the additive pack without engine and bench tests, other than from the certifications/OEM approvals claimed.

but the price and availability....SOPUS doesnt 'want' you to buy the T6 5W-30, they would love for you to buy the RGT 5W-30 with the SHELL ROTELLA 5W-30 reputation.

Some of the popularity is sale and clearance prices
Only reason I got some ~ but only after no more M1 AP was left for the same price

Curious, what is the noack between the two? Isn't it as VI goes up the volatility goes down? So T6 would have more volatility (burn off) than RGT? And since you don't know the quality/type of VII's, you can't really say with a degree of certainty that RGT's use of VII is to a detriment?

Edit: the 3.5 HTHS of T6 is nice; Delo 5/30 XSP is another 3 5cP HTHS oil. MaxLife 5w30 is a 3.0cP HTHS also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Curious, what is the noack between the two? Isn't it as VI goes up the volatility goes down? So T6 would have more volatility (burn off) than RGT? And since you don't know the quality/type of VII's, you can't really say with a degree of certainty that RGT's use of VII is to a detriment?

Edit: the 3.5 HTHS of T6 is nice; Delo 5/30 XSP is another 3 5cP HTHS oil. MaxLife 5w30 is a 3.0cP HTHS also.

Noack gets lower when the base oil gets thicker, assuming the same base-oil type. Since Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle's base oil is a lot thicker than the Rotella Gas Truck's, Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle's Noack should be a lot lower than the Rotella Gas Truck's.

Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20 seems very good though:

KV40 = 46.3 cSt
KV100 = 8.3 cSt
VI = 156
density = 0.835
HTHS (estimated) = 2.7 cP
Base-oil viscosity at 150 C (calculated/estimated) = 2.5 cP
Relative VII content (calculated/estimated) = 1%
Noack = 7.2% (PQIA)

Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20 would be a good oil for a gas truck calling for 5W-20. However, there are better choices for a 5W-30 than Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30.

It appears no one mentioned moly. RGT has 160 ppm moly. Rotella MV has 3 ppm as per a VOA that was posted. Doesn't matter much to me but maybe the moly fans might care.
smile.gif

Last edited:
While interesting to some I suppose, I purchased 2 jugs RGT 5w20 for one reason only, it was close out priced at AZ making it basically FOC after $10/jug rebate. Then put it to use in "very hard working" extended family Nissan Rogue.
56.gif

After the other jug used up, unless a similar close out price with or without rebate shows, unlikely I'll purchase again. As the rebate was a bit of an ordeal to obtain, FOC AR would be the only price point of interest to me. I'd think repeat of that offer unlikely too.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It appears no one mentioned moly. RGT has 160 ppm moly. Rotella MV has 3 ppm as per a VOA that was posted. Doesn't matter much to me but maybe the moly fans might care.
smile.gif

That's where things get interesting and why looking at only one aspect can be misleading. RGT may have a lower coefficient of friction than T6. I agree with Gokhan, but I'm not 100% convinced T6 is much better based on less VII's alone.

During the recent AZ 'clearance' I checked several stores....the RGT was the most available for some reason. I grabbed the Mobil1 AP whenever I found it....I even grabbed a few QSUD 0w20s....for some reason I (and apparently others) left the RGT on the shelf....maybe too gimmicky? After seeing the low NOACK and high moly of RGT on this thread....maybe I should have grabbed some 5w20 for my Fords.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 has becoming popular lately because SUVs and pickup trucks are popular, and this oil claims to be tailored for them. However, is it for real or a marketing hype? ....

Moral of the story: Don't go with the marketing hype -- go with the certifications. .....

Disclaimer: The calculations/estimates are only based on the viscosity data. There is no way to estimate the quality of the additive pack without engine and bench tests, other than from the certifications/OEM approvals claimed.

_______

A Thicker oil wont reduce wear if the film provided by the thinner oil is adequate.
_______

I am going to challenge the logic a bit here as the argument demands the challenge.

The extension of this logic is that an HD SAE30 with a C service category is "best" , and
anything else is a compromise bowing to spark ignition engines, fuel economy reqs
and to multi-viscosity, cold climate demands.

If this is found disagreeable, We are back to the assertion above this first argument
________

RGT is an ILSAC GF-5 Oil and bound by GF-5.

This is an Apples to Oranges comparison

RGT is not a CK category oil

So marketing - maybe a bit, but We still don't know.

Is RGT a bit more viscous and does it have a bit more AW adds?'

Is that enough to that validate the marketing for most consumers?

Now the valid comparison should really be between QSUD (or PP) or M1 and RGT

So, go at it again GOHKAN and let us come to a more valid assumption.

But thanks for the work so far. It is thought provoking.

-Ken

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Isn't it as VI goes up the volatility goes down?

I don't think it's entirely scientific (VI vs. volatility), but I have generally seen the opposite. An oil like Eneos Sustina 0W20 with a VI of 227 had a Noack of around 13%, while the Amsoil SS 10W30 with a VI of 147 has a Noack of about 4.7%. Others generally seem to follow this trend, even in one manufacturer's line of oils such as Amsoil SS.

Your premise is based on assumptions. Shell doesn't publish NOACK or HTHS values for these oils. The only thing we know is certifications met by each oil.

RGT is the right choice for many since it meets SN+, dexos1 gen 2, etc. It's one of the thicker KV oils that is ILSAC in a 5w-30 and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy!

Back