Castrol High-Mileage vs. Valvoline Maxlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a Castrol oil guy, in particular High-Mileage, for decades now, but also along the way I've heard some pretty good things about Valvoline and Valvoline Maxlife.

Since the latter is what I run in the transmission of my 2002 Toyota Sienna, with over 203,000 miles on it, I was thinking of maybe switching to Valvoline Maxlife for my motor oil as well, but I don't know why I would, chemically speaking, because Castrol seems to be working just fine for me.

So can anybody tell me any particular benefit I might be get out of switching, or Is it a classic case of if it ain't broke why fix it?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I have used them both in the Toyota they both worked just fine with good UOA. You just can't go wrong picking either. I'd get the one on sale.

I'll 2nd that
smile.gif

cant quite remember what it was called but i think it was the lubrizol add pack in maxlife?I've used the syn blend in every car I've owned so far and had 0 problems so long as slowing oil consumption in an 02 civic. Its supposed to be touted as one of the best add packs you can get especially for 18 bucks. However if castrol is working for you there is totally nothing wrong with that at all and have confidence in either choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
cant quite remember what it was called but i think it was the lubrizol add pack in maxlife?I've used the syn blend in every car I've owned so far and had 0 problems so long as slowing oil consumption in an 02 civic. Its supposed to be touted as one of the best add packs you can get especially for 18 bucks. However if castrol is working for you there is totally nothing wrong with that at all and have confidence in either choice.

Some of the grammar in that is awful, along with slowing consumption. Jeez.

No oil 'brand' is going to fix problems....the high-mileage oils may slow leaks, and if that's the case - stick to the brand you're already going with - unless there's a big sale or something on some other one. I mean - what "engine-wear" are you going to prevent at this point.....
Thats my take on it.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I have used them both in the Toyota they both worked just fine with good UOA. You just can't go wrong picking either. I'd get the one on sale.

I'll 2nd that
smile.gif

3rd'd..ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser

I believe Valvoline uses a sodium compound (SDDC) in it's MaxLife line as both a (co)detergent and AW additive. MaxLife is also one of the few oils that actually claims to clean out existing sludge in an engine. You'll find that on their "Team Valvoline" website.

Ref:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2764914

Last edited:
its a very emotive subject, people/trust/use brands based on advertising, or what their dad said 40 years ago.

Personally I trust Maxlife engine oil but I do not trust any Castrol engine oil.
Contrary to this is my Affiniity for Castrol SynTrans and A747, but distrust of any Valvoline GL4 product.

No sicence, just confirmation bias and emotion.

I know you are asking about motor oil but you mention Castrol HM ATF and VML ATF....these are both great products but totally different...the VML is a low viscosity (energy conserving) ATF while Castrol HM is a much higher viscosity product (8 cst@100*C)...I've used both with great results.

Nobody here can tell you how Maxlife will respond to your particular engine. It's simply a matter of buying some and trying it-out.
Isn't that the fun part of being a member here?.... then reporting on your results?

Originally Posted by Olas
its a very emotive subject, people/trust/use brands based on advertising, or what their dad said 40 years ago.

Personally I trust Maxlife engine oil but I do not trust any Castrol engine oil.
Contrary to this is my Affiniity for Castrol SynTrans and A747, but distrust of any Valvoline GL4 product.

No sicence, just confirmation bias and emotion.

Very true

Maxlife is Magnatec / Edge level oil. So the higher line/grade of the brand. It certainly has more additives than the GTX.

I prefer Castrol over Max Life .. but they a both good oils ..
Here is test results Castrol gtx HMsyn blend vs Mobil 1 5w40 full synthetic ..
Castrol did a excellent job !
[Linked Image]

Flash point and 100c viscosity has lowered some but nothing I'd set my hair on fire about, at the end of the day wear (what matters) is low on this 140k mile engine with this lube. You could probably go longer on the oil but heck, I'd be tempted to keep things right where they're at (5k) and work on establishing trends - don't fix what ain't broken, ya know? Nice report...ðŸ‘

I have no experience with the Castrol but I pour Maxlife in everything that comes through my shop that doesn't need something special. Have seen it go 21K in a '14 Kia Optima and repeated 12-15K intervals in a '03 Silverado, neither of which showed any immediate negative feedback from it.

It's not a miracle oil but I have seen it reduce consumption by 20% or more in a few engines. My dad's used it in his '97 Suburban since 170K and it's up over 500K now on the original, untouched engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back