Installing drop axles on landscape trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My trailer has two issues. The deck is a little high and would like to lower it some, so the ramp isnt as steep, then the other issue is the axles only have an inch or so of space before it hits the frame.

I was thinking we were going to have to raise up the fenders, but now that I think about it all we need to do is install longer leaf spring spacers.

I'm going to install 4" drop axles, so Dexter axle only requires 3" of frame clearance, then I can ditch the taller 235/80r16 tires for smaller 225/75r15 tires and that should make the trailer 1.25" lower then subtract the existing 1-1.5" space the axles currently have and that should drop the trailer about 2.5" plus keep the axle from hitting the frame.

Opinions? Is my thinking correct on adding the longer spring hangers is all it takes technically? Btw this trailer has a C channel frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a bi-fold ramp, two 5ft sections that fold in half, the longer ramp would be less steep. Much cheaper than replacing axles and trying to move the fenders around, less wind resistance too.

Install torsion axles, maybe?

[Linked Image]

Friend of mine has torsion axles on an equipment trailer. They seem to work pretty well. Not sure how long before they lose their torsion, but I imagine with how old that trailer is and how hard it's been whipped it is quite a while.

What are you going to do about fenders? Drop axle is going to put the tires through the fenders unless you relocate them -- if you block the leaf springs and go with a drop axle, I'm not sure if that would get you anywhere.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axles/Dexter-Axle/8327860.html?feed=npn&msclkid=8fc367c067da1802069f39fe6d553115&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20%7C%20Shop%20-%20All&utm_term=4577266908256271&utm_content=Catch%20All%20Products

The axle is the part that drops giving me the axle to frame clearance I need, the wheels will pretty much be in the same spot. The fenders may just need to be moved up a couple inches. Just a matter of cutter them off then cutting the mesh siding and welding them back on.

used trailers seem to hold their value fairly well..

maybe sell yours and buy what you want?

Then you have new everything and 5+ years of trouble free service (maybe a brake job and tires)

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Torsion axles are for boat trailers typically.

^ not exactly... torflex is the high end option on just about every trailer these days and imho we'll worth the cash.

This trailer is already sort of custom. I don't see why I can't have this fixed for no more than $1500, axles included. It has a front side gate and a full c channel frame vs just angle iron. Did this so I can load a 1000 pound lawn mower from the side with no twisting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't want it any higher than it is now and want the axle spacing fixed so I'm not beating my mowers to death go down the road on every little bump.

I guarantee you that 2 torsion axles are way under that price. I usually only put brakes on the front axle .
Can you do your own work??

Originally Posted by P10crew
I guarantee you that 2 torsion axles are way under that price. I usually only put brakes on the front axle .
Can you do your own work??

Grind off the old spring hangers then bolt on the new torsion axles? Yes. Do I have the place to do it? Not really. The torsion axles might work because you get rid of the 2" spring hangers, so the trailer might be lower still. I'll check my boat trailer tomorrow and see.

The torsion axles might be an easier fix. I'll be honest though I've never seen a landscape trailer with them. They're all spring axles with the equalizer in the middle.

Would the torsion axles ride okay with a light load still? My trailer is rated for 10,400 pounds, so would two 5200 pound axles be okay with a total weight of say $3800 pounds?

Actually less because this trailer has a good 1000 pounds of tongue weight thanks to the heavy mower up front. I just wonder if it would ride on one axle frequently on uneven terrain .

Originally Posted by Nick1994
What about getting a longer ramp so it's not so steep? Sounds a lot cheaper to me.

It already has 5ft ramps. Like I said, that still won't solve the axle hitting the frame issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back