Keeping a car at a vacation home in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are buying a home in Port Charlotte FL. Planning to drive something down there and leave it. The car will be garaged, and driven very sparingly aside from the drive down. What issues should I expect in that tropical climate vs. Ohio?

Use either E0 boat marina fuel or put some stabilizer in it. Also get a battery tender. That's it.

How often do you plan to go there ? When you do, you'll drive that car ?

After garage storing a car for 7 months (June to December) each of the last 8 years in Florida, I thought that fuel stabilizer and a good battery tender were all you need. This past December when I cranked up my 2013 Accord sedan, I saw a substantial seal failure in the left front axle. I was very surprised that it leaked so badly. After some daily usage it did not improve, so losing confidence in the car, I traded it. Maybe it was a freak thing, but seals and gaskets do dry out, even on a newer car.

But I've stored my Infiniti for 5 months every year in North Carolina in an insulated but unheated garage and never had a problem.

Edit: if you drive the car 1-2 times a month, I wouldn't sweat it.

Yeah. Even in a garage, heat will be you cars biggest enemy. If your garage door is south facing, it will be nothing for the temps to reach 95+ on a sunny day. And I mean PLUS!
So seals will get hard.

From your planned pattern of usage, gasoline won't really be an issue, a little stabil should do the trick. You are also going to be near the water, so expect some weird places to corrode from the salty mist. Check battery terminals and stuff regularly.
Don't keep any windows open, Anoles will get into places you can't imagine. Harmless, but who needs dead ones in their car?

My neighbor keeps one here all year long, drives maybe twice or 3 times a year, no issues at all. Battery tender should only be a maintainer, and he puts his on a weekly timer, not every day due to the heat.

Welcome to Florida!

Bring CONCRETE, we need plenty more!
lol.gif

(Should be the new state motto!)

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
We are buying a home in Port Charlotte FL. Planning to drive something down there and leave it.

Get something fun, not a boring Corolla or Accord that everyone will suggest. Parents bought a vaca place in Sarasota in the early 90's. Got them an '86 LeBaron convertible to put in the garage. Cheap and pretty reliable car for $1,500 at the time.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
After garage storing a car for 7 months (June to December) each of the last 8 years in Florida, I thought that fuel stabilizer and a good battery tender were all you need. This past December when I cranked up my 2013 Accord sedan, I saw a substantial seal failure in the left front axle. I was very surprised that it leaked so badly. After some daily usage it did not improve, so losing confidence in the car, I traded it. Maybe it was a freak thing, but seals and gaskets do dry out, even on a newer car.

But I've stored my Infiniti for 5 months every year in North Carolina in an insulated but unheated garage and never had a problem.

The axle seal going into the transmission was leaking? Or the axle itself? Either way it's a minor repair and seems like a weird reason to dump a car because of it.

Originally Posted by CT8
Rent a car as needed.
If one has enough bucks to live that life style, same as above,,,Rent a car!!! when in FL

More thieves in Florida!

Neighbor retired down there, she was the only house on her block not broken into and things stolen.....

She moved back to Illinois.... one of the worst states to retire in!

You need a good caretaker, and I would make sure that car in that garage is immobilized.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
More thieves in Florida!

They usually come from Illinois, New York or Cuba!

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Donald
Instead of the mouse repellent you use in Ohio, you will need gator repellent.

I guess you haven't heard of palm rats... they're everywhere in Florida and love to get into your attic...and builders keep putting palm trees right next to your new home...

How close are you to the coast? My mother kept a decent car outdoors a half mile from the coast. It turned to junk in 4 years and had to be sold for $400. The sun destroyed everything visible, and the salt air corroded everything else.

But then our neighbor has kept a Lincoln there for 10 years and it still looks good and serves his family well.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz

The axle seal going into the transmission was leaking? Or the axle itself? Either way it's a minor repair and seems like a weird reason to dump a car because of it.

Axle seal at the drive wheel. I owned the Honda for two years and got more for its trade in than I paid for it, even though it was an LX sedan.

If you'll drive it once a month or so, I'd do nothing.

My great-aunt and great-uncle live in Europe for 7-9 months a year and I take care of their 98' Plymouth Breeze. Most years it's just sat. Maybe on the charger once. Every other year I drive it to emissions while they're gone.

Battery lasted for a really long time and the tires never flat spotted.

i saw that peppermint extract will keep rats / mice away. mix with water spray under hood. maybe trunk / interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back