2018 Raptor, Best Engine Oil Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cx5 is DI and turbo. I use mobil 1 5-30 EP due to dexos gen 2, sn+, ht06, and low Ca. I do oil changes every 5k mi, and use the OEM Mazda JDM made filter.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Was that regular RP or the high performance oil? A very popular choice for the Ecoboost engines is Castrol Magnatec or even QSUD both of which I believe carry the Ford requirements and would be good for a 5k oci.

Magnatec goes into everything I own. I've tried many, but keep coming back to Magnatec. I like the way the engines run.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by mpgo4th
Originally Posted by Brian553
Lots and lots of options. If you are following a severe service OCI, any synthetic 30 weight should be just fine. Castrol Magnatec and Supertech are an example.
If you are following an extended drain interval, I would pick something at least certed to ACEA A3. Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 is an example.
If the sky is the limit for oil price, I would probably stop myself at something meeting VW 504? Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is an example.

You're in Louisiana, so you don't need a 5w-30; I would probably opt for a 10w-30 if the line of oil offers it.

Oh and yes, this question gets asked a lot.

First off, I hope this doesn't come out rude or argumentative. I legitimately want to know what benefits there are to using a 10w30 over a 5w30. It's my understanding that both would act the same a normal operating temp so why worry about the heavier 10 rating at cooler temps? Again I'm asking to understand and learn, not disagree. Thanks.

Benefit of a 10W-30 over a 5W-30:

To explain briefly and in basic terms, a 10W-30 will hold up better over time than a 5W-30, especially in TGDI engines.

Multigrade oils use polymers that are like spaghetti in that, when they heat up, the polymeric molecules stretch out. This has the effect of thickening the oil, which allows it to flow well at lower temps, but also to provide good viscosity and protection at higher temps.

A very basic article on VII:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29842/viscosity-index-improvers

The drawback is that these polymers get chopped up over time and miles, especially in higher powered engines. That results in viscosity loss.

The greater the spread between an oil's winter rating and summer rating, the more of these polymer viscosity index improvers (VII) must be used.

Oils that have a narrower spread tend to hold up better over time. They're more stable, with better Noack volatility ratings. A good, stable oil with a good Noack score is always good, especially for turbocharged engines, and helps prevent coking in the turbo.

And, with the OP being in Louisiana, he's not typically going to see temps low enough to make a 5W or 0W oil necessary.

Again, I'd suggest Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 in that engine. Or, if he really wants to stay with a 30W, I'd go with a thicker 30 like the M1 High Mileage 10W-30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 5W-30, or M1 ESP 5W-30. All of those have HTHS of at least 3.5. So, they'll resist shear and stay in grade in that beast.

It's a premium truck with a high-performance powertrain. It deserves a great oil.

You talk about a narrow spread being better, then you go and suggest 5w40. Hello.

see attached

[Linked Image]

Simple: HTHS 3.5 or above. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-30 Dexos2 rated (Wallmart), Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 or any other ACEA A3 oil.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by mpgo4th
Originally Posted by Brian553
Lots and lots of options. If you are following a severe service OCI, any synthetic 30 weight should be just fine. Castrol Magnatec and Supertech are an example.
If you are following an extended drain interval, I would pick something at least certed to ACEA A3. Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 is an example.
If the sky is the limit for oil price, I would probably stop myself at something meeting VW 504? Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is an example.

You're in Louisiana, so you don't need a 5w-30; I would probably opt for a 10w-30 if the line of oil offers it.

Oh and yes, this question gets asked a lot.

First off, I hope this doesn't come out rude or argumentative. I legitimately want to know what benefits there are to using a 10w30 over a 5w30. It's my understanding that both would act the same a normal operating temp so why worry about the heavier 10 rating at cooler temps? Again I'm asking to understand and learn, not disagree. Thanks.

Benefit of a 10W-30 over a 5W-30:

To explain briefly and in basic terms, a 10W-30 will hold up better over time than a 5W-30, especially in TGDI engines.

Multigrade oils use polymers that are like spaghetti in that, when they heat up, the polymeric molecules stretch out. This has the effect of thickening the oil, which allows it to flow well at lower temps, but also to provide good viscosity and protection at higher temps.

A very basic article on VII:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29842/viscosity-index-improvers

The drawback is that these polymers get chopped up over time and miles, especially in higher powered engines. That results in viscosity loss.

The greater the spread between an oil's winter rating and summer rating, the more of these polymer viscosity index improvers (VII) must be used.

Oils that have a narrower spread tend to hold up better over time. They're more stable, with better Noack volatility ratings. A good, stable oil with a good Noack score is always good, especially for turbocharged engines, and helps prevent coking in the turbo.

And, with the OP being in Louisiana, he's not typically going to see temps low enough to make a 5W or 0W oil necessary.

Again, I'd suggest Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 in that engine. Or, if he really wants to stay with a 30W, I'd go with a thicker 30 like the M1 High Mileage 10W-30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 5W-30, or M1 ESP 5W-30. All of those have HTHS of at least 3.5. So, they'll resist shear and stay in grade in that beast.

It's a premium truck with a high-performance powertrain. It deserves a great oil.

You talk about a narrow spread being better, then you go and suggest 5w40. Hello.

An oil having a more narrow spread between the W rating and hot rating is usually an indicator that the oil will have a better Noack score, but it's not the end-all be-all.

Comparing 5W-30 with 10W-30, in Louisiana climate, yes, I'd pick 10W-30, as I think it'll hold up better. But I think the Raptor deserves a 40W. And there's not a full-synth 40W with a narrower spread than 5W-40, to my knowledge.

There is no *best* oil.

If you're on a tight budget then the best oil is the cheapest one
If you race in the desert then the best oil is Redline
If you drive a Cummins with stuck rings the best oil is VPBR
If you live in the Australian outback then the only oil is 40w70
If you work for CAFE then the best oil is 0w8

You just need to pick something appropriate
wink.gif

For the last year my Navigator has been in the dealership service bay for at least 3 months. I dont believe engine oil will prevent the inevitable. However I might point out the following...

#1. This engine chops the viscosity down and the Delvac did drop out of 5W40 range but remained in the high 5W30 range.

#2. Blackstone gave it a glowing report.

You can get it at Walmart. Its not as expensive as boutique oils.

I am going to experiment with Motul 5W40 Xclean. Just out of curiosity and experimentation.

In any event the choice of oil like Delvac will help avoid common criticisms like the engine chops the oil down in viscosity, but it wont help the vehicle avoid repair. The camphasers are flawed, the turbo is flawed, and the 10r80 is flawed. A lot of issues and I would tell someone to review the old addage...dont buy first 3 model years of a vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back