VW508.00 oil change candy, dealer oil change kit w/price and part#s

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Thanks to member dedonderosa for raising awareness to the switch from Castrol to this VW branded "ExxonMobil" dealer fill. The Parts Department employee confirmed, they were advised it is Mobil1 ESP X2. I didn't even ask him for that information.

20200207_104617.jpg

20200207_104646.jpg

20200207_104058.jpg

20200207_104128.jpg

20200207_104146.jpg

20200207_105749.jpg

20200207_105756.jpg

Last edited:
SO $65 for the parts yikes! Wife was happy at my last oil change to spend $81.xx for 2018 Tiguan 508 oil change with a $20 off coupon for $100+ service work.

They really matrix'ed the prices and then gave you a "discount" to bring the price back down to the actual list price.

Last edited:
That seems like a pretty reasonable price for 6 qts. of quality oil and a German made filter and drain plug, especially from a dealership.

The oil is still more than what you'd pay at Walmart but I guess the filter price is fair, a pretty good deal to get the oil changed for just $5.80 in labor though. My local indy charges $20 if you bring your own oil and filter.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
The oil is still more than what you'd pay at Walmart but I guess the filter price is fair, a pretty good deal to get the oil changed for just $5.80 in labor though. My local indy charges $20 if you bring your own oil and filter.

I don't believe Walmart sells any 508 oil. It seems like only Castrol, VW and and Motul sell it. Really unfortunate but assume it will eventually change up once enough recent Audi/VW out there.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Walmart doesn't carry the VW 508.00/509.0 oil, filters or drain plug.

AFAIK Walmart doesn't carry any 504/507 on it's shelves either and it's been around a long time.

Originally Posted by sloinker
AFAIK Walmart doesn't carry any 504/507 on it's shelves either and it's been around a long time.

Not on the shelf but you can buy them on Walmart.com with either free pick-up or free delivery.

I used Motul 508/509 purchased online, it is even thinner than factory and a bit rackety being PAO, so I put 300ml of 5w30 Magnetec in..

Engine runs much better and smoother.

That Magnetec is like a magic additive - even in small quantities.

Now why the drain plug change every OC?

Cheap O-ring material ?

Reference the drain plug...

Actually, the one i took out looked good enough to save in case of emergency - so i did.

Plastic oil drain plugs?! Wtheck VW.

For the price per quart, that's not bad. The oil filter isn't a bad price either. I was expecting it to be more expensive, but it's right in line with regular Mann branded filters that don't have the VW logo.

I like plastic drain plugs! There, I've said it. I worked with them for 30 years on industrial equipment. Even on gearboxes in a steel mill, with red hot billets rolling by, no problems. The good part is that it's impossible for a lube tech to strip out your oil pan threads. He'll owe you a drain plug but that's no big deal. And it you want to replace periodically, go ahead. We replaced them when the hex started getting rounded a bit.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
I like plastic drain plugs! There, I've said it. I worked with them for 30 years on industrial equipment. Even on gearboxes in a steel mill, with red hot billets rolling by, no problems. The good part is that it's impossible for a lube tech to strip out your oil pan threads. He'll owe you a drain plug but that's no big deal. And it you want to replace periodically, go ahead. We replaced them when the hex started getting rounded a bit.

I was just thinking that after I posted my response. No more stripped oil pans is the big benefit. The plastic would give before the threads on the oil pan.

The VW oil pan is probably a plastic composite as well.
Originally Posted by BucDan
Plastic oil drain plugs?! Wtheck VW.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog

Funny you mention it. When I first learned of this switch to plastic drain plugs, I was like most people out there..."What the?!"

But after changing the oil today, I like how simple and practical it is. You can't over tighten because it has a finite number of turns then clicks into place. It comes off just as easily buy using a simple flathead screwdriver. Along with the filter topside, it makes for a clean oil change.

About the only thing that could put some off is that the engine under-tray needs to come off.

That's the beauty of our Tiguan, no belly pan to remove. It's one of the easiest cars that I've ever done oil changes on.

ECS Tuning has an oil service kit for our VWs, $53 shipped - can't beat it. 6 quarts of Castrol, factory filter and new drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back