Alfa Stelvio first thoughts +pics

My neighbor has bright red one, young chick. I should try to get a ride in it. I think these are NICE looking SUVs.

nice, we have that same color only yellow calipers. only a week old but loving it. kind of treading water on all the electrical and reflash probs on other blogs, oh well, other brands have issues too. i concur, dymanic only way to roll.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
I thought it best to start a new thread for initial impressions/pics. I'm just going to do this statement +/- style. I ended up with a TI Sport, for those wondering.

What isn't "right" (-)
*Seating position feels a bit "tall" for me. This must be an FCA thing, as I feel the same with my 500...the drivers seat just won't go low enough. My wife loves this.
*I don't like that the main infotainment screen is not touchscreen...again, my wife loves this as she hates fingerprints on the screen
*I don't like the "matte" finish of the infotainment screen
*Key fob is HUGE
*Visors are cheap looking and feeling
*I sprung for the premium sound system (Harman Kardon), same as we had in the ML350, but it's not as good as the one in the Benz
*SatNav is junk...not that we use it, but it's junk
*Any drive mode other than "Dynamic" would take some getting used to. Throttle response is delayed, and steering is way to light for how fast it is. The ONLY proper way to drive this car is in "Dynamic" mode.
*Still not sure about the transmission...nothing to nitpick yet, but I notice it...I will say the shifts are VERY quick. I think I read 200 msec.
*Start/stop is a bit herky jerky and could use some improvement

What is "Right" (+)
*This is the MOST FUN and ENGAGING SUV I have ever driven in my life. The X3 with full on sport package (staggered wheel sizes and the whole bit) was just "ok" to drive as an SUV. The X3 was tolerable...the ML350 was abysmal to drive...just YUCK from a driving fun perspective. This Alfa is mind blowing. If it were a sedan, it would be a d@mn good one, but then you look in the rearview mirror and are almost shocked to see how long and how big this car is...just mind blowingly amazing!
*The shocks in sport mode are wonderful!! Tight, yet compliant. When I started the test drive I remember bracing for a pot hole and was just lost when she sailed soaked it up like butter.
*The power is addictive. Point and shoot works well. In dynamic mode, turbo lag isn't bad, and she will straight rocket away from a stop.
*Interior is gorgeous! I don't know what the reviews are thinking...this is NOT a techno nerds dream, but instead a refined and classy interior. You immediately realize this car is not your "high end Accord " as soon as you sit down. I love the simplicity, cleanness, and execution of the interior.
*Just D@MN sexy for an SUV
*The color is beautiful! This is honestly one of the points that got me. Long story, but my bide's X3 she loved so much was almost the exact same color. She hated it when we originally bought it, but ended up being one of her favorite aspects of the car. She loves the new color!
*The Chocolate leather is really quite stunning

So what sealed the deal? It checked all the boxes for an SUV that I knew my bride would love. The color, the interior, the ride, the power...I knew she would love it. The best part is she loved it even more than I thought. She has already told me this is her most favorite car of all time.

Personally...it was the handling. I have NEVER driven a more composed, dynamic and responsive SUV in my life. If I had not previously owned a heavily modified Miata, and now a heavily modified 500 Abarth, I could say this is the BEST handling car I have ever driven. Just WOW.

Did you try the cx5 turbo? I have one, and I ask, as it addresses all your complaints about steering, transmission, etc. and I've found it very engaging, minus the brake feel. Otherwise it reminds me of my 370z sport on stilts. The place where it lacks, imo, is in power, as compared to the Stelvio, and while it has amazing tactile input and a neutral handling demeanor, even in slides, you can tell it has more weight up front vs the Stelvio on quick transitions.

I have always loved the ALFA Romeo insignia / badge. "Visconti-Serpente" it's known as. The red cross on a white background - the Visconti family's crest (I think based in Milan); the serpent eating the Sarasen (sp?) - representing the Crusades. ALFA - acronym for Anonima Lombarda Fabrica Automobili (publically-traded? automobile factory in the province of Lombardy); and Nicola Romeo... the Company's first engineer. I think I've got that right...

I'd assume it drives like a Giulia, which is an amazing experience. Hands down the best steering and transient response I've ever experienced. I thought the materials on the interior were very lacking (the MMI knob was just garbage) and the brakes are mystifyingly horrible. Amazing ride quality. It's a shame such capable cars and SUVs aren't more popular.

Originally Posted by antonmnster
I'd assume it drives like a Giulia, which is an amazing experience. Hands down the best steering and transient response I've ever experienced. I thought the materials on the interior were very lacking (the MMI knob was just garbage) and the brakes are mystifyingly horrible. Amazing ride quality. It's a shame such capable cars and SUVs aren't more popular.

Italians make many stuff simply perfect. But somewhere there they just say: yep, that will do it, let's go home.
I had Alfa 146 with their last generation boxer engine, and Lancia 2.4JTD, 5cyl diesel engine that is shared between Alfa/Lancia and FIAT at that time on same platform.
They were excellent vehicles. Alfa was ridiculously reliable (an outlier though) with telepathic steering and driving dynamic. It had 105hp but it would obliterate at that time Golf IV GTI until some 180km/h when things just stop as gearing was too short. But the sound, the experience was amazing, though not on par with Alfa 33.
Lancia had much better material, plush seats, excellent diesel engine, although too heave for transverse application on FWD platform.
But I really enjoyed them.

The Italians have a certain 'finesse' with steering geometry and suspension/chassis dynamics that cannot be quantified using regular metrics. Its something you feel through your fingers and your butt-dyno. We laugh at such 'tactile' improvements with the oil in our engines...

Nice looking lines and size, makes sense for something that can tout such ride and handling.
By your list of the good and the questionable, sounds like you have a good grip on the realities and read some reviews.
I hope it shines bright on the important stuff and any nuisances are minor, if at all.

The tires / wheels comments about aesthetics- Not sure how easy it is to "get the look" w/o effing up the ride handling or causing thump.s.
I had an older g-35 coupe and wanting the wheel wells to look proportional. Left it with the 18's, did a dark charcoal powdercoat on whee's and went up size on tire wall (height / o.d.) and really had the enhanced look I was hoping for. May that went coil-overs had various issues with one side lower than the other, ride and handling characteristics , tire wear etc.... Neg camber did account for some that. I was just happy with my experiment that created an illusion; The car actually looked lowered.

Very nice!
I'm surprised that a few of the oh-so-practical appliance drivers haven't popped in to advise you of the error of your ways...

Originally Posted by MCompact
Very nice!
I'm surprised that a few of the oh-so-practical appliance drivers haven't popped in to advise you of the error of your ways...

But but but a Cruze diesel would have been way more economical and way more reliable.

kiding, Drive what you like.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Very nice!

But but but a Cruze diesel would have been way more economical and way more reliable.

kiding, Drive what you like.

Good advice, but I've had vehicles that I LOVED that were unreliable. They just had to go.

Very nice!

The Mazda CX-5 ....... especially if turbo an irrelevant comment......

I love the Alpha , a neighbor has the insane version with twin turbo V6 madness and the noise!

Back