Maxlife ATF now sates Honda 3.x compatible

I just spent $30 a quart for Honda 3.1 ATF and later saw that Maxlife PDS claims they are compatible with Honda 3.X and Lifeguard 8.

I have succesfully used maxlife on Honda's calling for Z1, DW-1, Toyota's calling for T-IV, having said that.

I am starting to wonder what is going on in the ATF industry, either Ashland is spot on and OEM's are just making it difficult for customers with OEM specific fluids or is Ashland misleading us with their universality?

One thing about the Honda 3.1 fluid, after 82k miles it was still nice and green, unlike the WS fluid which is cruddy looking at 30K.

Anyone try Maxlife ATF in the ZF9HP transmissions yet?

Originally Posted by Drew7a

Anyone try Maxlife ATF in the ZF9HP transmissions yet?

even I wouldn't do that
sick.gif

Valvoline MaxLife MV ATF is recommended for trannys that orginally specifies Z-1, DW-1, and ZF Lifegaurd 8 for example... nowhere does it say anything about Honda 3.1 or ZF LifeGuard 9...

-

if I was going to cheap out on an out of warranty ZF9HP tranny - I would only run MaxLife with FM additives from LG to convert it to 'close enough' to OEM's requirement of highly modified FM's:
[ link to conversion chart ]

Actually discountdon it does claim Honda 3.1 on the datasheet in your link.

Valvoline's disclaimer though is hidden in plain sight on their same datasheet.

however, it should be noted that MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not an OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF in these applications.

Originally Posted by wdn
Actually discountdon it does claim Honda 3.1 on the datasheet in your link.

Valvoline's disclaimer though is hidden in plain sight on their same datasheet.

however, it should be noted that MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not an OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF in these applications.

blush.gif
my bad
blush.gif

Run OE fluids.[/quote said:
I respectfully disagree that OE fluids are always the best.

As an example my 08 Honda specs Z1 and the manual clearly stated damage will occur if you use anything else. It always shifted rough, a few years later the dealer said there was a TSB and they drained the Z1 and replaced with DW-1 and the car shifted slightly better, even though it was originally designed for the Z1 they now recommended DW-1.

I DF the fluid every 20K with Dw-1, at 200k the car had a had a hard clunk when down shifting, I thought tranny was on it last leg, so I said what the heck and switched to Maxlife with LG red and car has never shifted so well.

I know this is anecdotal information and confirmation bias, but how can Honda just absolutely spec one fluid at the time of manufacture and then switch mid stream? Better engineering and design of DW-1? I know Honda does not make the ZF trans and they probably did not do much research on fluids and relied on ZF as Honda 3.1 and Lifeguard8 are identical.

I am however starting to doubt that maxlife is compatible with everything.
crazy2.gif

I forgot to add I visited the Amsoil website to see if any of their fluids are "compatible" with Honda 3.1 and their online product application guide states: "No Amsoil Product Recommendation" .

As an example my 08 Honda specs Z1 and the manual clearly stated damage will occur if you use anything else. It always shifted rough, a few years later the dealer said there was a TSB and they drained the Z1 and replaced with DW-1 and the car shifted slightly better, even though it was originally designed for the Z1 they now recommended DW-1.

...but how can Honda just absolutely spec one fluid at the time of manufacture and then switch mid stream? Better engineering and design of DW-1?

Because Honda considers DW-1 to be an evolution of Z-1 fluid. Think of it as Z-1 v2. If I'm not mistaken, the formulation between the two, i.e. the additives they use, didn't change much, but the base oil changed from non-synthetic to synthetic.

Several of the ATFs claim they are compatible with a wide range of trans. Most important thing I have been told by trans re-builders is try to keep the VIS close to the factory spec. I use M1 ATF(2007 ) and M1 LV ATF(2017) and neither are spec'd for Ford trans, but the VIS is close and have had great results in both Fords.

I forgot to add I visited the Amsoil website to see if any of their fluids are "compatible" with Honda 3.1 and their online product application guide states: "No Amsoil Product Recommendation" .

Amsoil ATF ran well in the older (up to mid 2000's) Honda, Toyota and Subaru units as well as anything using a dex III spec fluid but today its different.
I have drained 100K Amsoil ATF out of a old Honda with over 100K on the fluid mixed driving too not just highway and it was still cherry red. Choosing the correct lubes is important and the decision to go with non OE spec lube should be taken seriously and researched thoroughly.

Just because Joe has run it for years and the product has a following doesn't mean diddly. if it works in X it may not work the same in Y.

Originally Posted by tig1
Several of the ATFs claim they are compatible with a wide range of trans. Most important thing I have been told by trans re-builders is try to keep the VIS close to the factory spec. I use M1 ATF(2007 ) and M1 LV ATF(2017) and neither are spec'd for Ford trans, but the VIS is close and have had great results in both Fords.

To counterpoint your statement, I also remember discussions here (Molakule involved) where it was questioned whether viscosity differences, within reason, were not as critical as suggested by some. I think (don't remember) that maybe the argument was about the multi vehicle fluids that have a viscosity in the middle (around 6) between the low viscosity and the older higher viscosities being o.k. in the low viscosity recommended camp. It was just anecdotal speculation, I think, but maybe Molakule will chime in.

For those of us where the OEM fluid costs upwards of $20+ per quart, these fluid wars are difficult. Even more so for those who can't diy. When I investigated service garage/dealer Hyundai tranny fluid change in my region, all 6 garages used either BG or Valvolene products instead of SP4 M, even during the warranty period. Go figure.

I totally understand where you are coming from with this but is not as simple as just a viscosity issue there are many other considerations to be taken into account.
Anti wear additives and seal compatibility can in some cases play a greater role. I can only share my own experience but many vehicle manufacturers recommend synthetic fluids but are adamant about running a mineral based transmission fluid.

Seal compatibility has been an issue in the past with some fluids. The other point to consider is if the fluid is not 100% compatible excess wear can be happening without you seeing any obvious signs like in an engine of it until the unit fails in some way, it may take a longer time and when it happens most people just contribute it to a blown transmission and accept it at that. In fact if spec fluid was used it may not have had any issues at all and may still be living a happy life.

I used to rebuild a lot of CV axles (still do a few here and there) using new joints from SKF and few others I buy in Europe, some joints take a very special grease that cost almost $50 for 7oz, the grease is really that special. After many hours of research and help from Mola I have found a few of what seems to be real alternatives, one really looks great.
Not cheap grease but cheaper. I will run 4 different greases in 4 joints for a year before accepting it as a replacement, for other peoples joints they will continue to get the super expensive stuff until I am 100% sure it will hold up.

I have the same thoughts about coolants, spark plugs, etc.. I've had a few bad, (maybe coincidence type?) aftermarket experiences maintaining ag. equipment. Yet, not to be a hypocrite, I seem to have a changing scale of metrics regarding going 100% OEM vs. sometimes aftermarket. It IS complex and it sucks if one has a bit of OCD. Even The Critic, with advancing wisdom, has relaxed his 100% OEM stance a tiny bit! I doubt we will get GEBO to change -
cheers3.gif

Amsoil plays it safe, especially with ATF. I'll bet you it took a couple years before they claimed compatibility with DW-1. For Nissan, they've claimed compatibility with Matic-J but not Matic-S. Many people still say "Amsoil has no Matic-S compatible fluid" - just repeating old, bad info as "fact". Fact is, Amsoil claims compatibility with Matic-S.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I have the same thoughts about coolants, spark plugs, etc.. I've had a few bad, (maybe coincidence type?) aftermarket experiences maintaining ag. equipment. Yet, not to be a hypocrite, I seem to have a changing scale of metrics regarding going 100% OEM vs. sometimes aftermarket. It IS complex and it sucks if one has a bit of OCD. Even The Critic, with advancing wisdom, has relaxed his 100% OEM stance a tiny bit! I doubt we will get GEBO to change -
cheers3.gif

Some aftermarket stuff is really good and I have no problems using it. I just don't like risking multi thousand dollar bits and pieces on something I am not 100% sure of.

https://www.redlineoil.com/d6-atf

Redline also now claims compatibility with Honda and Acura 3.x and ZF8.

I was reading the comments on Walmart.com and one guy uses Maxlife on his BMWs that spec the Lifeguard and Another guy has a Chrysler. They all had positive things to say.

I suspect, Honda is aware of these other fluid coming to market he lance the drop in their fluid prices from $40+ to under $30.

Back