Carpet Selection Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not posted here in a while, but I seem to remember we had some carpet experts on the forum. I'm trying to select between two carpets, and could use some thoughts. With the exception of the material type (Anso Nylon vs Polyester) all the rest of the specs seem to be virtually identical. I know the nylon has a longer expected wear life, I'm trying to decide if it's worth 20% more to buy it (roughly $600 over 810 sqft.)

This will be on three upstairs bedrooms (2 kids + guest), a landing at the top of the stairs, and the stairs themselves. Traffic will be limited to the two kids for the most part.

We are looking at Dreamweaver Trendsetter II and Shaw Elemental Mix II (nylon). Here are the key specs (polyester listed first) separated by commas. What would you do?

Gauge: 5/32, 3/16
Density: 2525, 2531
Pile Height: 0.68, 0.68
Face Wt: 48, 48
Twist: 6, 5.75
Stain: Soil/Stain Shield, RX2

I know little about the differences in carpeting. If they are that close perhaps strength and feel are the only differences.

Do be mindful of the slipperiness of those manmade fibers....especially atop stairs.

I saw a guy sail down a flight of newly carpeted stairs once.

There is something about how each type handles certain types of spills/stains. Nylon releases oil based stains easier than polyester but polyester releases non-oil based stains better or something like that, possibly the reverse. I can't remember. I just had nylon put down in the condo I sold but it was a close-out deal at a local flooring contractor that they normally sold for about $4/sq ft that I got for $1.80 per. I think it was Mohawk (?)

I've been in the flooring business for over 40 years and when it comes to carpet fibers the only way to go is Nylon.
Still far superior to anything else despite all the labels on the carpet sample telling you that poly or it's variants are so great.
And forget all the warranties they promise you.
Carpet mills are notorious for squirming out of them.

You get what you pay for,period.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
My friend who owns a carpet laying business once told me. Pick the best carpet within your budget. The rate to lay the best or worse carpet is the same.

That is not always the case.
Most installers will want more money to install a thicker heavier carpet and also a patterned loop carpet such as a true uncut berber.

Nylon, for sure. I have 4.5M SF of commercial prop and that's the carpet that holds up the best.
I prefer LVT but that doesn't always work for residential applications where carpet is more appropriate.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I like the CarpetCaptain site, I used one called CarpetProfessor. Basically, all the "numbers" on these two carpets spec out pretty much the same on the categories they talk about. So it really comes down to fiber type.

I tend to be a buy quality once type guy. My wife is seeing the savings and leaning polyester. It has not helped that both carpet stores we got quotes from (locally owned, not chains) have told us that they would put the polyester in their house without question. Not sure if there is a higher profit margin there, or not, but the seem to be trying to steer us that way.

At this point, I think my argument is going to be that we are pretty much guaranteed 20% more wear from the nylon, so we are money ahead by spending more up front.

I spent some years in carpet research for a Fortune 500 company.

Three things:

1) Nylon will always outwear polyester. The latter can feel softer but it mats over time especially in high traffic areas or STAIRS.

2). Buy the highest density you can afford in the nylon carpeting. That means the most weight of nylon per unit area. Same would hold true for polyester.

3). You can get a lot more wear and tear out of loop pile construction than cut pile.

I would NOT put polyester in my own house. Also, if sunlight hits the carpeting, note that browns and beiges are often made by mixing dye stuffs. (Orange and green simplistically make brown, for example) If one of these dyes is more sensitive to light degradation than the other, the carpet will actually change colors where the light hits it over time. Cure: Keep light off of the carpet with blinds or window shades, particulalry ina room with south facing windows.

Originally Posted by Boomer
I spent some years in carpet research for a Fortune 500 company.

Three things:

1) Nylon will always outwear polyester. The latter can feel softer but it mats over time especially in high traffic areas or STAIRS.

2). Buy the highest density you can afford in the nylon carpeting. That means the most weight of nylon per unit area. Same would hold true for polyester.

3). You can get a lot more wear and tear out of loop pile construction than cut pile.

I would NOT put polyester in my own house. Also, if sunlight hits the carpeting, note that browns and beiges are often made by mixing dye stuffs. (Orange and green simplistically make brown, for example) If one of these dyes is more sensitive to light degradation than the other, the carpet will actually change colors where the light hits it over time. Cure: Keep light off of the carpet with blinds or window shades, particulalry ina room with south facing windows.

Boomer is right on everything above.
Especially that polyester will mat (crush down) quicker than nylon.

Originally Posted by Kira
Where does wool land on the cost/sq. ft. scale?
" " " " " " wear 'n tear scale?

Wool wears well but is prone to stains.
A good wool carpet is around $100 a sq. yard.
That's not a typo $100.00.
Or around $11 a sq ft.
You can get 2 1/4 red oak installed and finished for that.

A good nylon carpet is around $20.00 a yard.
Or $2.22 sq ft.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sandres
I could save by buying the rest of the fabric for the carpet. It was a piece of custom size fabric, but 40% cheaper than a carpet in a store.

What are you talking about?

We wanted to put in new carpet and flooring a few years ago and lucked out by a referral to an independent supplier that dealt with installers and builders. The guy that sent us to the supplier was an installer my wife knew of. He ended up doing all the work plus hundreds of feet of new baseboard I wanted replaced. I tend to research anything if I'm spending over $20 and was thankful to meet someone we felt comfortable with and not dealing straight off the street prices at normal stores.
We conveyed getting quality and learned a lot of little things (forgot most of by now) but were very pleased with results.
I took a sample of our vinyl flooring to a local shop to make sure I purchased the right product for cleaning and they were very interested and complimentary of the flooring and where I had purchased it. Made me feel good as they are one of the premiere suppliers in the area with a solid reputation and big share of business.

I felt like we had an 'in' dealing with a supplier more direct to the custom builders netting us a break and still getting quality. That's the route I'd go since getting schooled on quality is helpful, yet the supply chain dictates your price so you have to have a plan there IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back