2015 Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends vehicle with the 2.4 Ecotec, been servicing it since new when the OLM hits 40% with a Dexos 5W30 and a Fram Ultra filter. I just changed the oil yesterday with Rotella Gas Truck 5W30, its at 54k miles and the warranty will be done in May. Should I continue with the Rotella 5W30, or step it up to a thicker oil such as M1 High Mileage 10W30 or Castrol 0W40?

Which oil seems to hold up the best in these engines?

Last edited:
You should use standard 5W30. If you feel like wasting money on better oil for a Chevy SUV, know that the oil is not as likely to be a factor in it falling apart as anything else.
wink.gif

In Louisiana I'd personally run a 10w30 all day, every day and twice on Sundays...but a 5/30 is perfectly suitable grade as well. As for a HiMi, that's up to you. There's no right or wrong answer on that one (unless you're already seeing leaks) but if it were me, I'd make the switch over around 75k miles.

I service a 2013 equinox, It got full syn at least yearly(or when OLM was around 15-20%) has 48000 miles on it.. and it just needed both vvt solenoids.

So I'd second the other stuff will fall apart and dont blame the oil.

It got mostly M1 or PP 5w30.

My wife owns a 2013 Equinox with the 2.4. After all of the problems with some earlier models, there was a class-action lawsuit. Bad rings resulted in extreme oil consumption. Chevy just replaced rings, pistons, rods, and bearings at no cost.

We had new plugs and timing belt but in at our cost. Car has about 85,000 miles. Oil consumption started at about 60,000 miles.

I cannot blame GM exclusively for poor designs; I bought a Ford F150 from our son with 90,000 miles and no new plugs ... that 5.4 liter poor design. $100/plug and some other work ... and I drive about 3000 miles/year. I like its comfort for this 6'4" overweight guy with size 15 shoes.

Pobody's nerfect.

I have a 2011 GMC Terrain 2.4 EcoTech that had the oil consumption problem. I had it fixed under warranty and it no longer burns any oil, I was one of the lucky ones. For a lot of people these engines have been a nightmare. However you said it is a 2015, by then all the major problems were fixed except the PCV clogging in cold weather problem. But to get back on topic, I definitely would not run a heavier oil in that engine. Stick to 5w-30 dexos approved oil.

No need to use a heavier oil. I have a 2014 Terrain with the 2.4. No problems what so ever. My daughter has a 2014 Equinox
and brother with a 2015 Terrain with the 2.4 and no issues.

I have a 2016 2.4 and just ran a UOA on it 70,000. I've been using 5w-30 Castrol, but I currently have the euro spec 0w-40 Castrol in it. I plan on doing a UOA on it as well just to see if it changes the numbers any.

I worked at a GM dealership for several years, been in plenty of their modern engines for various issues such as timing chains, oil consumption, cracked pistons. Just keep doing what you're doing honestly. The brand doesnt matter as long as you get it changed regularly like you've been doing.

On a side note,this would be a good time to look at doing something about intake valve carbon build up, just because it's probably not that bad yet. Easier to prevent the problem now than later when it becomes an issue. Once it's an issue it's really difficult to clean those valve. We used to use GM #88861803 and man that stuff would remove most of the carbon like a piece of cake but the smell of the exhaust felt so toxic and was inescapable that we'd never do it inside or directly outside the shop. It had this weird chemical smell to it and you couldnt finish inhaling your breath even if you wanted. Just had to run the [censored] out of there and get some fresh air. We had special equipment for it though, as it had to be atomized into the intake which means you might not have the means to do it. I know there are commercial products too, but I've never tried any so I cant speak for them. But definitely do some research on it and hit those valves with something. The carbon build up initially forms as this tar like goopy stuff, and this comes off with chemicals, but when left untreated more and more of this goop forms and the initial stuff touching the actual valves turns into solid carbon and that requires mechanical removal. Also a transmission service and power steering fluid change is recommended. The fluids in these transmissions do not last for some reason. Atleast not to my liking. Pretty much brown after 60-70k, completely black by 100k and silvery by 130k, assuming it was on the original fill from factory. I throw in the P.S. fluid because why not, since you'll have some dex 6 left over anyways. You only get about 4-5 quarts out of the transmission so you're not getting everything out, seems like doing it every 50k is a good way of ensuring good condition of the trans fluid.

Originally Posted by super20dan
doesn't the equinox spec 0-20 oil? or have they come to their senses and gone to 5-30 now ?

I dont think it ever got switched to 0w20. I dont work in quick lube so I dont get to see what ever GM car gets, but it seems like only the 1500 series trucks got switched to 0w20.

Originally Posted by super20dan
doesn't the equinox spec 0-20 oil? or have they come to their senses and gone to 5-30 now ?

our 2013 ... not OP's model ... recommends 5W30 dexos. I didn't see dexos 1, but I'm NOT SURE dexos 2 existed then.

guess gm finally realalised 0-20 was not compatible with the badly desighned 2.4. my neighbors called for 0-20w -a 2011

I'll for sure service the transmission soon. I plan on changing the spatk plugs next oil change with AcDelco 41-108's. Does anyone have the torque spec for the plugs and ignition coils? The actual specs, not just good and tight, or snug.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
I'll for sure service the transmission soon. I plan on changing the spatk plugs next oil change with AcDelco 41-108's. Does anyone have the torque spec for the plugs and ignition coils? The actual specs, not just good and tight, or snug.

plugs to 20 Nm (15 lb ft).
ignition coil bolt(s) and tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb in) .

source alldatadiy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back