2.7 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I received the first couple OCI free from the dealer but I don't really want to pay them $50+ for the privilege of waiting in line and hoping they do a proper oil change from here out. But I also want to minimize warranty liability. The F150 2.7L ecoboost specifies 5w-30 to Ford spec WSS-M2C946-B1

Recommended motor oil (U.S.): WSS-M2C946-B1
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
XO-5W30-QSP

I'm seeing mostly synthetic aftermarket oils that meet this spec and haven't noticed it on conventional such as Pennzoil or QSAD. Being a GTDI engine I want to keep the OCI to about 5000 miles which are typically lightly loaded with maybe occasional spirited driving. Suggestions on the most economic 5w-30 which specifically meets the Ford spec?

Many of the conventionals meet the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec, though. I wonder what the difference is.

I had a 2016, and 2018 F150 with 2.7 Eco. I ran Castrol Magnatec in both. I think the blend is gone, and now it's a full synthetic.Everything I've owned seems to have a subtle improvement in low end torque. I believe this is due to the viscous properties of the oil, and the variable valve timing.

Motorcraft 5W30 synthetic blend. Okay, sorry for the sarcasm. But, why not use the oem oil? There are examples out there of high mileage ecoboosts that have been on nothing but the oem spec'd Motorcraft oil and filters.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Motorcraft 5W30 synthetic blend. Okay, sorry for the sarcasm. But, why not use the oem oil? There are examples out there of high mileage ecoboosts that have been on nothing but the oem spec'd Motorcraft oil and filters.

Pennzoil Conventional 5W-30 meets it:
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/blends-conventional-oils/conventional.html

There are also lots of examples of low mileage EcoBoosts with worn out timing chains, smoking turbos, etc...

But it looks like the -B1 is just Dexos 1 Gen2 (meets LSPI) while the -A does not meet Dexos 1 Gen 2.

Good catch on the Pennzoil, I looked at the product web page with only lists the "-A" but the PDS shows the "-B1" spec as well. Just scored some amazon sub&save PP HM for $15/ea shipped for my '11.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Interesting, My 2017 2.7 EcoBoost still calls for WSS-M2C946-A which is conventional 5W-30.

Thats because the WSS-M2C946-B1 spec didn't come out until spring 2018 to address LSPI in the ecoboost. Your engine has been updated to use the new spec in the current manual.

Digging through their PDSs it looks like their conventional meets -A and the -B1, but not Dexos 1 Gen 2. Their synthetic blend and upwards meet Dexos 1 Gen 2 though. I just looked at my 2018 Explorer owner manual and it only calls for the -A on the 2.3 Eco, 3.5 N/A, and 3.5 Eco engines. Ford must have changed the 2019 manuals, or the trucks had the -B1 requirement all along.

Digging through their PDSs it looks like their conventional meets -A and the -B1, but not Dexos 1 Gen 2. Their synthetic blend and upwards meet Dexos 1 Gen 2 though. I just looked at my 2018 Explorer owner manual and it only calls for the -A on the 2.3 Eco, 3.5 N/A, and 3.5 Eco engines. Ford must have changed the 2019 manuals, or the trucks had the -B1 requirement all along.

Interesting, where do find a pds stating that the synblend meets D1gen2. I'm suprised Ford would pay GM to license their oil.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th

Interesting, where do find a pds stating that the synblend meets D1gen2. I'm suprised Ford would pay GM to license their oil.

Pennzoil product data sheet

Keep your eye's out for sales or rebates on oils. Lots of people around here have picked up synthetic oils for a similar price as conventional. Some managed got pick up synthetic for far less than than the cost of conventional oil. Heck, some people have even used the sales, rebates and loyalty programs to get paid to take oil.

I managed to pick up a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum on sale, then found the mail in rebate. I got 5L jugs for $12 CAD each. I have enough oil for the next 40,000 miles or so.

I believe that shell is still running their mail in rebate program.

It doesnt matter what oil you run. Dealership wont ask questions for warranty repair. The problem with these Ecoboost engines is they tend to thin, sheer or dilute the oil. Whatever the case the engine turns your 5W30 into a 5W20. Im not comfortable with this and so I look for thicker oils to run. I now run only Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 in my 3.5 Ecoboost 2nd gen.

Blackstone sees no issues with it.
[Linked Image]

The Penzzoil Euro L 5W30 and 0W40 seem to be a bit thicker. The 0W40 is API SN Plus.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It'd be interesting to see how that 5W-40 fares in the 3.5L EcoBoost after a longer interval, like 7500 miles (which coincides with the factory oil life monitor most of the time).

I am a bit paranoid. I realized a while ago this 2nd Generation Ecoboost is not proven and has some issues. I know about some issues...but what are the issues I dont know about? Like what is the consequence of running oil that falls out of spec? Thus I prefer to error on the side of caution and fallback on 5000 mile intervals with a thicker oil. Walmart makes it cheap...

Until the engine has been out there for at least 5 years I say to error on the side of caution.

Last edited:
In 2016 our department bought 9 new f150s for our fleet at work. They were all short bed single cab 2.7 ecoboosts. One was totaled at 2700 miles. 5 have been flawless, one even averaging 24 mpg. One unit has had issues with blue smoke at start up after a 48+ hour rest. It's been to the dealer several times having a turbo replaced, an egr valve replaced and I forget what else. Recently got it back so were watching it carefully (58000 miles)
The other truck has had oil leaking issues. The pan was replaced under warranty and we found more leaking. I assumed it was the pan again but the dealer claimed it was the front seal. 60150 miles. The dealer wouldn't warranty it. We appealed to Ford and they agreed to cover half. The felt skid plate was absorbing the seeping oil so none was ever found on the ground beneath the trucks assigned parking spot. Those are being removed and stacked up at each trucks next service interval.
One other truck I noted had a single drop of oil dripping from an intercooler duct. Were watching that one. It goes home with the driver so we don't know if its been smoking at start up also.
All of the trucks went the first few oil changes on bulk low bidder, 10w30 syn blend with a Napa 100050 filter. For the last 2 years we've switched to Napa synthetic 5w30 and 5k mile intervals due to elevated idle times.
I love driving the 2.7 EBs but I'm not sold on their longevity yet. I'm sure if I were to buy one I'd get stuck with a bad one.

The 2.7 ecoboost in the F150 has not suffered the same issues as the 3.5 EB engine. The 2.7 seems to be holding steady and doing well for Ford. The early issue with the engine pouring out blue smoke on start up seems to be a manufacture issue. Very few recent TSB's after that one. Some have had the leaky oil pan issue and others had oil sending units that wiggled out of the hole on the early 15's. Mostly a trouble free engine. My 16 hit 72k this morning and is going strong. I would have no hesitation picking up a new or used F150 with a 2.7 engine.

As far as the OP is concerned. I do my own oil change in my driveway and it is incredibly simple to do. I change every 5 thousand miles, use a motorcraft filter and Castrol Magnatec or Edge depending on the sale at walmart. I've used 5w30 and 10w30 on a couple of occassions.

Just ordered a handful of MC filters off RA for $6/ea plus shipping and picked up a jug of M1 5w30 at Meijers for $22 (not an amazing price but definitely competitive). I'll add a qt of M1 from my shelf and snap a pic of all of it as well as the receipts for records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back