Which CLP product do you like and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Ballistol lately. It seems to work fine and I like the fact that it won't harm wood if it gets on it. In fact, it is a decent treatment for wood.

My typical cleaning routine is to use Butches Bore shine for cleaning the bore and Ballistol on everything else.

I use Ballistol as a true CLP on all my firearms (meaning I use it for all three purposes), but I use a dedicated lubricant, in this case ALG Go-Juice, on my modern sporting rifle, as I've found Ballistol tends to flash off relatively quickly with extreme temps.

It cleans extremely well, assuming you have some patience and allow it to "soak" into carbon, it lubricates adequately in all the applications I've used it in (with the one exception mentioned above), and it protects metal from rust very well.

The one caveat with CLPs, is that while it can clean, lubricate, and protect, it doesn't do any of these tasks as great as a dedicated product could, but I've never been disappointed in its performance. It serves as a great all-around CLP, is safe on virtually all surfaces, and claims to "not contain ingredients considered hazardous by the FDA", which is a big bonus in my mind.

Ballistol is great, and I would highly recommend giving it a shot if you're looking for something new.

Originally Posted by tom in boise
I have been using Ballistol lately. It seems to work fine and I like the fact that it won't harm wood if it gets on it. In fact, it is a decent treatment for wood.

My typical cleaning routine is to use Butches Bore shine for cleaning the bore and Ballistol on everything else.

Try it in Leather. It's amazing. Boots and holsters. It's Great stuff.

I use a mixture if ATF and Marvel Mystery Oil. I really like it.
I buy one if the little spray bottles at Walmart, the kind for flights. Mix it up about 50/50 and it works Great.
Marvel Mystery Oil works for EVERYTHING!!!!

Switched from Hoppes to Breakfree CLP years ago and never really had a reason to change again. I do tend to use the BF "LP" more often lately but CLP is still my go-to for quick cleans, travel and is kept in the range bag.

That said, I do like Fluid Film for longer term storage. SO far.

Last edited:
I use breakfree CLP but only for storage (both in the bore and wiped on the metal surfaces. I've never had a corrosion issue.

When using the gun I use a dedicated oil or light grease. TW25B is my go to now.

I agree with the above about Ballistol. I've been using it for a while and really like it. I even like the scent
lol.gif

Originally Posted by MGF1964
Question: Which CLP product do you like and why?

slip 2000 EWL

1) It does not cause allergic reactions like mil-spec CLP
2) It is the slickest stuff I've used other than FireClean, once carbon loaded from suppressed use.
3) It does not turn to glue like FireClean, after a few months if you leave the weapon unused.
4) It has a good EP addpack
5) It has been tested both in the lab, and in the real world, and doesn't have any "issues".

Originally Posted by buck91
Switched from Hoppes to Breakfree CLP years ago and never really had a reason to change again. I do tend to use the BF "LP" more often lately but CLP is still my go-to for quick cleans, travel and is kept in the range bag.

That said, I do like Fluid Film for longer term storage. SO far.

Fluid Film is interesting stuff. I use it on a lot of out stuff at our beach house and it really does provide lasting protection against rust.

I don't use a dedicated CLP. I either use ATF or AMSOIL synthetic grease (where grease makes sense) after a manual clean.

Weapon Shield CLP
M Pro-7
SLIP 2000
Lucas CLP
FP10
Brownells Friction Defense

I tend to rotate through the above (along with a home brew) - all are good and will last me a life time !
I do however want to try G96 Synthetic as I have heard decent things about it (along with having an acceptable scent).

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Weapon Shield CLP
M Pro-7
SLIP 2000
Lucas CLP
FP10

I tend to rotate through the above (along with a home brew) - all are good and will last me a life time !
I do however want to try G96 Synthetic as I have heard decent things about it (along with having an acceptable scent).

Weapon Shield CLP
M Pro-7
SLIP 2000
Lucas CLP
FP10

i have tried all the above except the brownells. mpro 7 tended to separate and has a shelf life. slip 2k and lucas seemed thin to stay where its put. fp10 and weapons shield are pretty close. i too want to try some g96. supposed to be the issue clp now for the military

Interesting replies. Just wanted to see what everyone's using.
I think I'm going to stay with G96 ... the G-96 Complete Gun Treatment and/or the G96 Gun Oil (same stuff as the "Treatment," but in liquid, per the maker).
I've been using it for years and did recently get a bottle of the G96 Synthetic Gun OIl ... that's the CLP that's Army approved CLP...so I could compare.
Having compared the two, fairly sure I actually prefer the Gun Treatment/Gun Oil, the one with the hydrocarbon oils base.
I like the consistency and adhesion, and it's a great protectant, IMO. I use it as a light cleaner sometimes, and I wouldn't mind it as a lube if it were to be all I had around. But as a protectant, it's been superb. And I like the smell.
smile.gif

For pure lube where an oil is called for, I still use FP-10 from a neele-tip bottle.I also think FP-10 is very nice for the price, btw.
As someone noted earlier, where an oil is truly called for, I go lightly and apply from a needle-tip oiler. On slides & rails and such, I go with a very light grease, Lubriplate SFL-0.
Thanks for input, everyone.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Weapon Shield CLP
M Pro-7
SLIP 2000
Lucas CLP
FP10

i have tried all the above except the brownells. mpro 7 tended to separate and has a shelf life. slip 2k and lucas seemed thin to stay where its put. fp10 and weapons shield are pretty close. i too want to try some g96. supposed to be the issue clp now for the military

I quit using any plant based cleaner / oiler. Slip 2000 EWL works as my oiler. I use Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner spray as all-purpose / otherwise. Once every few years, I'll use a specialty item like M-Pro 7 Copper Cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back