Home Router Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What router would you recommend for home? It would also need good range as the house is one level with ~ 3500 sq ft and it's located in the study on one end of the house. A few phones (Apple), tablet (Android), & couple laptops (Windows 10). No home office. I don't think I would want Nest & the like but maybe I should.

Thank you.

Unless you can put the router in the center of the house, I think you will have coverage issues, unless you get a mesh system.

What are you using now?

Thunderstorm took out Linksys WRT120N. Yeah I know, much better routers can/should be had. That's why I'm here asking.
smile.gif

I've been very happy with my Asus RT-AC66U in my ~2200 two level house. It's an old place, with lots of plaster and all that, and signal both on the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands is just fine. I hace at least 6 or 6 wireless devices running at any given time and I never have an issue with lag. I've never had a network issue, never had any crashes or dropouts.

The newer revision, the RT-AC66U B1 is basically the better -68U hardware in the -66U case. It's $90 on Amazon right now.

I had a single AirPort Extreme covering almost 5,200 sq ft over 3 floors, router is centrally located on the main floor. 5ghz doesn't work downstairs on the far end of the house, but the 2.4ghz is still reasonably quick.... sadly they discontinued them.

Had good luck for the most part with a RT-66U, but I'm currently rocking a Netgear Nighthawk AX4.

Consider a mesh system, like Orbi, or Eero.

Among consumer brands, Asus is one of the best at keeping up to date on firmware security patches and supporting their routers the longest. There are also alternative forks, like Merlin, to add more advanced features for some models.

Netgear only provides 90 days of free support, but they make good hardware and have pretty good software support. I'd go with Asus or Netgear long before Linksys (Belkin). TP-Link is good value, but I've never used one.

Some like to use higher grade stuff from Ubiquity, but it's more involved than the average Joe probably wants to get into to configure and set up.

Resist the urge to buy a Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) router. The standard is still new, with bugs to work out, and prices are higher.

You should get a mesh or multiple access points? Can you run Cat6 cable within your house? Then I would go with some Ubiquity gear that includes two wired access points.

We went mesh with an Orbi and have had zero issues or complaints from the kids, which was never the case with any other wireless access point if you want a single, we just put a tp-link ac1900 at a college house with 12 kids. Works well.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Go To Amazon, search for "Linksys Refurbished"

I would not recommend Linksys routers, esp the series mentioned in the post. I don't remember the issue of my head but there was some security flaw that Linksys refused to acknowledge. That was the reason I didn't go for those routers and got T-Mo branded Asus router for just $50. Its going strong for 2 years with a ton of interference of other neighborhood routers. https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Wireless-AC1900-Dual-Band-AiProtection-Complete/dp/B01MYTAURW

Wirecutter recommends https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NF44X91 or for budget https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G I am personally not sold on MESH or Orbi systems from the price to performance standpoint.

If you are little handy, get a router that supports DD-WRT/OpenWRT or Tomato variants, even if its a couple of years older, it would work amazingly well.

Originally Posted by Carmudgeon

Among consumer brands, Asus is one of the best at keeping up to date on firmware security patches and supporting their routers the longest. There are also alternative forks, like Merlin, to add more advanced features for some models.

Netgear only provides 90 days of free support, but they make good hardware and have pretty good software support. I'd go with Asus or Netgear long before Linksys (Belkin). TP-Link is good value, but I've never used one.

Some like to use higher grade stuff from Ubiquity, but it's more involved than the average Joe probably wants to get into to configure and set up.

Resist the urge to buy a Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) router. The standard is still new, with bugs to work out, and prices are higher.

This echoes my sentiments quite well. ASUS or Netgear would be a good choice if you aren't going with a mesh setup.

How was performance of your previous router? If one router setup worked well without dead spots or slow areas I would just buy another modern single router one that people recommend.

If you had dead spots or slow areas a mesh system works incredibly well. I love my Google Wifi 3 puck mesh although I do have a the three with an ethernet backbone(wires between them). The speed is incredible (150Mbps - 250Mbps internet download speed) everywhere in home and my 1 acre yard its well covered.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Carmudgeon

This echoes my sentiments quite well. ASUS or Netgear would be a good choice if you aren't going with a mesh setup.

I run an Asus at1900. It's been pretty solid with no issues. I also ran a lower end Netgear that was a solid performer. No more Linksys period!

A single-level, 3500 sq ft house ? I can't picture a house layout like that. Even a single-level typical ranch style aren't usually much over 2000-2500 sq ft.

Did the previous router cover it okay ? If so, I wouldn't worry too much - almost any quality router at Walmart, Best Buy, etc will work fine. When I say "quality", avoid anything $60-75 and under. As mentioned, try and relocate it closer to the center no matter what you get. 2.4 ghz band will give better range but slower speed while 5 ghz will give better speed but less range. No way around that typically.

Eero pro is going to be your best consumer bet.

If you want to get into enterprise class, Aruba Instant On is a solid system for plug and play.

Beyond that, you are truly getting into business class hardware with discrete components - router, switches and APs.

Ubiquiti would be my choice for non mesh units. You usually need to run 2 or 3 access points in a larger house, depending on construction. Homes with cinder block, cement, or plaster interior walls will need still more because wifi cannot penetrate. Depending on your location, you might have a lot of interference from neighbors too.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
Eero pro is going to be your best consumer bet.

If you want to get into enterprise class, Aruba Instant On is a solid system for plug and play.

Beyond that, you are truly getting into business class hardware with discrete components - router, switches and APs.

FYI, just below the bottom level HP Aruba Instant On series is the HP OfficeConnect OC20, which is essentially a stripped-down version of the AP207 running special cloud-only firmware. You can cluster up to 5x of these, they are managed through an IOS or Android app and are a great choice for somebody looking for entry-level business-grade hardware but not wanting to spend the $$$.

Mesh for your house, 3500 sq feet, one level and the router is at the extreme end of the house.
Personally I would simply put the router in the middle of the house and buy a TPlink Archer 1750 C7 or Tplink Archer AC1900 A9

Look for a Goodwill Techworks.

I picked up a backup Linksys E3200 for $12...

Also check with your internet provider, your plan may be obsolete...

I just upgraded from 3 up, 1 down, to 50/50, for $20 less a month...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back