Anyone use a nut like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some rusted out nuts pressed in the roof of my 2003 Suburban for mounting the roof rack side rails. I originally thought they were welded in, since there is not a nut from the underside. It looks kind of like a t-nut, but the flange is on the exterior side, so what prevents it from popping out?
I have already butchered one hole cutting and bending steel to slide a t-nut underneath and epoxied in place, but I feel there must be an easier, less destructive, more stable way.

Roof Rack Side Rail Nut.jpg

Roof Rack Side Rail Nut 2.jpg

When the bolt is tightened the first time, part of the sleeve collapses and bulges out like a pop rivet, permanently securing the nut into the sheet metal.

Removal would be the same as a pop rivet-- drill away the top part until the bottom part is free to fall out. This should be possible without enlarging the hole in the car.

Generally they require a tool to,set and collapse the collar. Just tightening the screw makes them spin and not collapse.

https://www.mechanicalcaveman.com/best-nutsert-tool-review-rivnut-insertion-8mm/

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mk378
When the bolt is tightened the first time, part of the sleeve collapses and bulges out like a pop rivet, permanently securing the nut into the sheet metal.

Removal would be the same as a pop rivet-- drill away the top part until the bottom part is free to fall out. This should be possible without enlarging the hole in the car.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Generally they require a tool to,set and collapse the collar. Just tightening the screw makes them spin and not collapse.

https://www.mechanicalcaveman.com/best-nutsert-tool-review-rivnut-insertion-8mm/

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mk378

2 nuts a couple of washers put any one of them in as good as a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back