QS HM 5W30 99 4.6 2500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
A copy of the first UOA I've done. Not the best, not the worst. Oil had a ton of idle hours and a ton of cold starts, plus hilly terrain and often loaded. Oil was in service from March 25th to December 22nd. Oil consumption was ZERO!

oil analysis.JPG

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Your link went dark on me and the little Microsoft wheel spinned. I'll try to open it again after work.

Huh, that's odd. Showed right up for me both logged off and logged in.

This is the HiMi blend right? What happened to the 100c viscosity? It went from an +11cSt to a thick Xw20 after only 2.5k miles? Is this engine known for beating up on oil? Unless I'm missing something it looks like the VM's got shredded after only 2500 miles??

Last edited:
Yeah, this is the high mileage synthetic blend. The oil probably had 50 or so hours of idle in traffic time during those 2500 miles. The engine is incredibly clean inside looking through the fill hole. I'm not sure if this engine is hard on oil or not. When I bought the car I did a 500 mile quick flush and then ran this oil 2500 and did the analysis to see what I had. I have the same oil in it now but next change I have havoline HM smart change 5w30 and a fram ultra filter. Going to do a uoa on that oil change. I also put a better air filter in it and made a foam pre filter. The old filter was super cheap and had a poor seal and I could see right through the media.

The 4.6L 2 valve engine in your grand marquis is VERY easy on oil. Your metals are a bit out of spec because of the high silicon. When silicon is high, and iron follows that means there is an air filter issue. I would bet the airbox is warped and only WIX and MOTORCRAFT fitlers fit well. Napa Gold is a wix by the way. If you visit crownvic.net look for my warped airbox fix under the body of knowledge and inspect all other sources for a leak.

Also you could be cleaning up the engine causing things to come loose, therefor skewing your UOA. Either way rest easy knowing that the 1999 model year is one of the best and that the 4.6L is near bulletproof. Your UOA is good overall.

Been a while since I've been on here. When I got the car it had some cheap poor fitting air filter in it. I've checked to make sure the housing isn't warped and it seems good. I suspected that initially when I saw the poor fitting air filter. The one I replaced it with fit much better but the media seemed pretty thin. However I purchased a fram tough gard that fit well and made a foam prefilter that also helps seal the filter and housing on the dirty side. It's been about 1000 miles on the oil and it's noticeably cleaner on the dipstick than last oil change at 1000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back