Predator 20 hr oil change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly small sump, Chinese made chonda clone, probably trying to minimize any warranty repairs. I've been running T5 HDEO (10W30) in mine, it generally drains clean without any visible metal, I would guess around 35 hours or so per change.

Originally Posted by brainpause
Why does the Predator require a 20-hour oil change interval? When I'm busy, That's every other day.
Which Predator? My Predator generator with 212cc engine calls for a 100 hour OCI.

I'd be using a modern detergent Monograde 30 and replacing it weekly at most. I see no point changing that often on a machine that's worked for hours on end.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is 20hrs?
I would have expected 20hrs for the first oil change, then 50 - 100hrs after that.

Originally Posted by Ride_Red
Are you sure it is 20hrs?
I would have expected 20hrs for the first oil change, then 50 - 100hrs after that.

+1

Wow - I guess its because it .5qt capacity.....what a pain....I would pick a premium EP oil and do every 50hours just for my own sanity.

I thought about analysis. I occasionally do it for my driveables.

I wish I could find the source but I thought I found something several months ago that said there is a plastic cam gear or some such. Said needs fresh oil all the time.

The oil change is pretty easy with one of those oil suckers. And since there's no filter. I don't have to fool with that either.

I just wondered if there was some GOOD reason for the very short OCI.

Last edited:
If you use it for business I'd get something with a Honda GX/equivalent. Fooling with cheap throwaway equipment will only cost you time and money.

Sort of for business but mostly personal. Not critical.

I have an 8 by 20 Trailer that I have outfitted with air conditioning and electricity So that I can work on things. It is parked in a big parking lot. . And it stays there.

I have 12 volt lighting inside. So until the battery dies, I at least have lighting. I mainly use it for air conditioning and heat but occasionally power tools. I don't have to use it very often to repair things for work.

I have had good luck with this predator. So far. For me, it was either buy a predator or some other Chinese knockoff or don't get a generator at all.

Originally Posted by brainpause
Oh, and I have the 420cc engine in my 6750 watt genny. I wonder if that makes any difference from the 212.

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/63000-63999/63083.pdf

Larry
Your manual makes even less sense that that of the OP. Yours has three OCIs: 20, 100 and 300 hours. Obviously that can't be; something was lost in translation [quite literally.] If it were my generator, I would change the oil [after break in] at 100 hours or two years, whichever comes first. I base that recommendation upon use of an appropriate synthetic oil. Others may counter that any 15w-40 HDEO will work. I don't necessarily disagree, but you won't find me pull starting anything with 15w-40 below freezing either.

I think you can run it longer as long as the level doesn't run low. Low oil in a small sump takes a beating, if it's really that small of a sump. I run syn oil in all my ope and have found so far no issues with running longer that spec. The rider with entry level brigs gets changed every other year and might consume 1/4 on the dipstick. I have a predator on a pressure washer - those push a bit harder, and the oil won't even turn dark. I've had repeat problems with the decompression finger on the cam sticking but to date the engine has been robust, efficient, and runs clean.

Originally Posted by hatt
If you use it for business I'd get something with a Honda GX/equivalent. Fooling with cheap throwaway equipment will only cost you time and money.

Maybe, but there's as good an argument to be made to not spend the whole budget on some luxury grade generator when it still is susceptible to common problems like carb gum-up and instead buy TWO cost effective generators so you have redundancy should one fail to operate. Of course there are storage issues and there's still the argument that if they are THAT important you could buy two Honda powered generators, but frankly I think they are a false value unless you need to put a high # of hours on them. Even the Chinese clone engines have gotten much better in the last 20 years, including parts sources when they are the Honda clone engines so you can use Honda parts. The Predator engine, I can't say one way or the other, never having had to work on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back