WD 40 as a lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what forum this should be on.
But many of us at some time have grabbed the Blue can of WD 40 and used it, essentially, as a lubricant. Probably in every case there would be a better lubricant that could be used, but the can of WD 40 sits there handy.

Has any body tested how good or how bad the lubrication properties of WD 40 are?

WD-40 is a terrible lubricant, It's a decent cleaner & works great on rubber hoses as it completely evaporates....As in you can use it to install a hose & not worry about it blowing off later.

I clean my battery powered tools with WD-40....Works great & doesn't damage the plastic body or rubber grips.

Its not a lubricant. Its a solvent. Its really good for chasing water off your dirt bike after you washed it after riding. Wash, spray, ride till its dry, wipe. done till next time you get your bike dirty. Dirt wont ever stick to your bike!

Road/Race bikes, only spray on a rag and wipe dirt and gunk off, never spray any on the bike only on a rag and wipe. Its great for cleaning wheels, just don't touch your rotors! Or your seat, pegs, ect...lol

Great stuff for many things! As Cline said there is nothing better for rubber hoses and O rings and rubber boots. Tool cleaning, removing glue from labels, driving moisture out of parts and switches and all sorts of there things and its harmless to plastics and electrics.

Do people still use it as an engine dressing? I've read about people doing that. I never have tried that.

WD40 is a great lubricant... for that squeaky door hinge on your kitchen cupboard.
Actually it is not bad for little things around the house. If I need better, I'll use some 3-in-1 oil.

I've never been onboard with using WD-40 on rubber or anything soft since it's a solvent. I can't see how it wouldn't soften it and break it down over time. That's not really what you want on a hose or an o-ring gasket.

It's not cheap, either. I tend to use either Mobil 1 ATF or Fluid Film for general purpose lubrication. But, unsurprisingly, I have a whole shelf of various oils, sprays and greases. I find the Liquid Wrench line of products to be very cost effective and useful.

Originally Posted by Trav
Great stuff for many things! As Cline said there is nothing better for rubber hoses and O rings and rubber boots. Tool cleaning, removing glue from labels, driving moisture out of parts and switches and all sorts of there things and its harmless to plastics and electrics.

Is WD40 better than Brake Cleaner?

Last edited:
One place I use WD40 is on the hinges and pivot points of wood working equipment such as chop saws.I find it's just enough to keep things rotating smoothly without attracting sawdust. In a pinch WD0 will lubricate anything but eventually evaporates. I might just photograph my spray lubricant collection next time I clean the garage. I'll bet I have 20 types.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
I've never been onboard with using WD-40 on rubber or anything soft since it's a solvent. I can't see how it wouldn't soften it and break it down over time. That's not really what you want on a hose or an o-ring gasket.

Ditto. Oils on rubber / plastic can't be a good thing long term. Yea you can spray it and make things all shiny looking to peddle it but I sure wouldn't do it regularly. Same result with no damaging effects is better achieved spraying everything down under there with armor all. My old 2000 GMC sierra sprayed a couple times a year, has the original hoses on it and I'm not seeing any need to change them.

Originally Posted by Ride_Red
WD40 is a great lubricant... for that squeaky door hinge on your kitchen cupboard.
Actually it is not bad for little things around the house. If I need better, I'll use some 3-in-1 oil.

Not even good for that, as it evaporates completely.

I use it for wiping down tool's to clean them, and if I accidentally wash a pocketknife, I douse it with that to drive out the water.
I've used it where I need temporary be lubrication, like slipping on a heater hose.

I don't use it for any real lubricating need.

Wd40 does have some other products under their name.

The corrosion inhibiting spray looks interesting.

Of course WD-40 is not the best lubricant, or penetrating oil, but it is by far the best thing out there for so many things!!! Only thing is I hate the newer cans they came up with, so I started using the cheaper old school cans that are so much handier. Plus the bigger cans go flat with about as much as what's in the smaller can anyway.

IMG_7611.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back