Wix 51042 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wix 51042 off of a co-workers 2002 GMC 1500 truck
5.3L engine with 267,000 miles. 5K miles on the filter running Castrol HM 10W-40. Everything looks fine, only thing I noticed was a strong fuel smell. He drives the truck 15 miles each way to work. Check em out

78EB0C32-6D75-4785-9EE4-8E1EFDEE189B.jpeg

DD8F2E70-4FB7-457F-ACE8-257E9767DB98.jpeg

709FC38E-8902-46D2-B6D4-0AACEBC19589.jpeg

EF6DBFF3-B28C-4F43-91B8-E35258CAF2FA.jpeg

F9463715-3D3B-4CF1-9744-1BC07FE4BA2D.jpeg

E209126E-96A7-4101-AF70-9B321DA8BFBB.jpeg

869EED4F-2C37-405B-8671-5343CB669243.jpeg

Looks pretty good. Is that a shopping cart you are using? Nice pics and what did you guys put back in and on?

Thank You
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Looks pretty good. Is that a shopping cart you are using? Nice pics and what did you guys put back in and on?

Thank You
smile.gif

You are very welcome sir !!!!!
It is a shopping cart, I work across the street from a large retail shopping center and from time time for some reason a shopping ends up in our parking lot....so kept a couple
they come in real handy.!

Put on a another Wix and same Castrol HM

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Looks good and nice shopping cart too!

grin2.gif

I highly recommend a quality shopping cart !!ðŸ‘🤣

Very good! Outside of a Fram XG3506(S), the Wix 51042 or longer 51522 and perhaps the occasional Purolator Boss filter are really the only ones I feel comfortable putting on my Alaskan Silverado.

Thank You
smile.gif

lol.gif
... I noticed that too. Filter looks pretty good - thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Thank You
smile.gif

lol.gif
... I noticed that too. Filter looks pretty good - thanks for the C&P.

Very welcome sir !!!

Y'all just jealous of free shopping cart !🥴🥴🤣🤣

Originally Posted by kstanf150

I have some ancient ones from the old Foodland here. I made a can crusher out of one also
lol.gif

Anything that makes a job easier.... Is a good thing
smile.gif

Very good job here man...

And Wix filters are very good. They are one of my favorites.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Anything that makes a job easier.... Is a good thing
smile.gif

Very good job here man...

And Wix filters are very good. They are one of my favorites.

Thank you sir !!

Hey I'm just trying to keep up with ole 53'stude!!!!!
He's the filter King !!!!

But on a serious note

I'd like for some guys to input on why the strong smell of fuel on this oil change
This truck is high mileage 267K.....that's a lot to me
But it's not a short drive truck
Tell me what ya think !ðŸ‘

Yeah that fuel smell could well be from short trips...

One time when I changed the oil in my car the oil had a noticeable gas smell... Struck me as odd because I had not noticed it like that before or candidly since then... It was when I put the Sunoco full synthetic oil in my car 4 years ago... Though that am I had gone on a rather short trip and promptly changed the oil right after that trip.

One time when I changed the oil in my car the oil had a noticeable gas smell... Struck me as odd because I had not noticed it like that before or candidly since then... It was when I put the Sunoco full synthetic oil in my car 4 years ago... Though that am I had gone on a rather short trip and promptly changed the oil right after that trip.

You think a one way drive of 15 miles falls into the short trip range ?
I'd think it's a normal range for most of us. I'm on the 2 mile one way to work plan !!...³ðŸ¤”🤣ðŸ‘

Last edited:
I'm only 4 miles from my job... Not too shabby.

That oil change with the Sunoco full synthetic I went into town and that was only a total trip of like 6 miles.

Well given it's winter time... That may well be another factor here I think. .

Colder in your area right now vs my area... Today in my area it was 57 degrees... Though it was 74 degrees just 30 miles south of my place... And it was 45 degrees about 65 miles north of my place today... Quite a temperature variation today in my region.

It's been a very mild winter here in GA
Engine temp shouldn't be much of a factor in the fuel smell I wouldn't think

You think a one way drive of 15 miles falls into the short trip range ?
I'd think it's a normal range for most of us. I'm on the 2 mile one way to work plan !!...³ðŸ¤”🤣ðŸ‘

I'd say 15 miles each way is not really short trips. Is he running a lower setting thermostat or something? Maybe it's fuel trims are out of wack for some reason. Should scan the OBDII to find out.

It's been a very mild winter here in GA
Engine temp shouldn't be much of a factor in the fuel smell I wouldn't think

I thought you were in Tennessee... With the GoVols location...

And I was thinking possibly western Tennessee where it is colder right now as evidenced by winter weather advisory out for snow 1-2 inches.

My high mileage 5.3 smells a lot more fuelly than my Escape when it's time for an oil change. I do short trip the Suburban more than the Escape... I live about 5 miles from my main job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back