Go to quick lube place or keep running oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 8000 miles on the current oil (mix of Mobil 1 5W-30 EP and Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30). The oil filter is an Amsoil filter with about 14,000 miles on it. The car is a Lexus IS350 (3.5L V6). 6.6 quart capacity, and used about 0.5 quarts over the last 8000 miles.

If it helps, this is the last UOA: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/14654/filename/Untitled.png

Should I keep running the oil out to 15,000 or so miles or should I take it to a quick lube place?

I usually do oil changes myself but I've recently moved and downsized and had to get rid of my jack and much of my tools.

Would it be better to run the oil more or let some monkey touch my car?

Last edited:
Find a local shop with good reviews. Don't go quicklube. Local shop might even let you bring your own oil and filter.

Take own oil to a dealer that's running a special. My local ford dealer has a $20 oil change with free rotation. I know they're hoping they can get you in there and convince you your Johnson rods bad but still a good deal even if I brought my own oil.

Pulling your vehicle into quick lube service bay

car_sideways.JPG

Originally Posted by CT8
What is the oil blend supposed to do? I am curious.

His car takes more than 5qts so he probably just used one jug and a little of the other. Probably not intentional blending.

They're called "Iffy Lube" places for a reason... Avoid like the plague would be my take.

Originally Posted by Donald
I avoid the quick lube places. Find an indy shop. Change it at Walmart parking lot.

Lol, wth. Has anyone ever done that? If so, they never say anything?

Originally Posted by BucDan
I avoid the quick lube places. Find an indy shop. Change it at Walmart parking lot.

Nah, change it at your work in the back corner on Sunday morning.

If your work objects, do it at someone else's work or at the end of the cul de sac in that industrial park.

Originally Posted by BucDan

I could have it done before the rent a cop gets there. ...‚ even if he did arrive, I'd just say I'm having trouble starting it and I should be out of there in a few minutes.

But the OP doesn't have his tools/ramps..so take it into a shop or VIOC ctr or even a Wally's TLE..but Jiffy Lube would be my last choice. If you have a shop do it, use M1 EP/AP or Castrol EP and an extended filter so you only have to worry about it once a year give or take... since you no longer have the ability to DIY.

Last edited:
You live in Florida. I have an is250, I have 2 words, rhino ramps. Amazon can have them to you in a couple days. Get some TGMO and a filter from the local Toyota dealer. 10 and 14 mm socket/wrench you're good to go. You'll feel better too!

i am leery of running oil too long. if you are too new to the area to find a trustworthy garage and a lexus dealership is too far, then surely a toyota dealership is handy.

Bring your own oil, faceless Ford dealer grease monkey puts it in the trunk of his car and then changes yours with bulk oil.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Local independent. Ask neighbors to see who they use and like. Ed

+1 for Eddie. Support your local mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back