Mercedes E350 short review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a loaner from the local dealership. The car has 790 miles on it so it's fairly new. But I don't like it much.

Pros: comfortable seating position and quick to reach high speeds.
Excellent 360 camera.
Nice interior, except the vulgarity of the touch pad.

Cons: Buzzy engine... Feels like you are driving a Civic. It is even more noticeable when the Eco mode turns the engine off and on at stops.
Harsh ride. One would expect the E class to be plush and different from C class but it is not.
Awful screens. This is the trend nowadays to just have digital screens instead of classic looking gages but two tablets schlepped together looks vulgar to me. At least the clock is analog to retain some class.

Would I buy it? No, I wouldn't.

IMG_20200206_104740.jpg

Thanks for the review.

I often rent the C and CLA class MB's.
Considering almost everything is offered with a turbo 4, I'm saddened to hear the E class is also not exempt from this configuration.
There's no reason why an e class buyer should feel like he's in a Civic.

I can easily say I won't be hoping for another BMW 3 series/MB CLA/C class on any of my upcoming rentals.
I'd rather opt for a full sized Maxima/Impala/Lucerne etc. that is offered with at least a NA 6 cylinder.

I had a 2017 E300 4Matic as a loaner for nearly 1 month as our GLK250 was in the shop and they didn't know what was wrong with it or how to fix it (turned out it was a bad HPFP, which they replaced along with 4 new injectors). Anyhow, it was a 4-cyl gasser with the 10-spd transmission and auto start/stop which I loathed.
It did ride quite nicely for Chicago roads, very quick up to speed and very quiet on the open road. I agree however that the sound of the 4-cyl gasser does not belong in the E-class. Maybe the CLA/GLA and C-class, at the most. MB should have kept the 6-cyl as the base engine, then offer a turbo option as an upgrade, then move up to the 8-cyl if you really want it, then turbo that if you're just plain nuts.
I also did not approve of the full all-digital display, since if one thing goes bad you have to replace it all. I'm glad BMW, Audi/VW still retain most of their gauges separately.
Also, the MSRP on that car was close to $70K which I thought was ludicrous considering the 4-cyl under that huge hood. No, I wouldn't buy one unless we're talking about the diesel. That's another discussion though.

Unfortunately the new E-350 isn't anything like the old. The V6 in the older ones were better. Now you've just got a 4 cylinder turbo. Probably the E-450 is more like what the older E-350 were. If you want a V6 in your E350, you'd have to go the previous class, the last year of which was the 2016. Previous years like the E400/E43/E53 also had the V6.

The two panel display is pretty standard now. The S class had it back in 2014.

Harsh ride is probably due to the sports package which is pretty popular and run flat tires. Lots of people switch to regular tires and the luxury package isn't as harsh.

They should have put more sound deadening to keep the engine sound quiet. But it is surprisingly fast.

IMG_20200206_153212.jpg

I never dreamt they had put a 4-banger in the E-class. Admittedly, I don't follow MB that closely, but it's hard to believe they made that move.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
I never dreamt they had put a 4-banger in the E-class. Admittedly, I don't follow MB that closely, but it's hard to believe they made that move.

They started that in 2017. I chalk it up to CAFE. The other brands did the same. You had to step up to the E400/E450/E43/E53/E63 to get away from the 4 cylinder. But you won't find those in the loaner fleet.

At least the OP got an E class for a loaner. Last time I only got a C class when I bought mine in for service.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote

Don't they have a 4 cylinder in the S-class is some markets? Wouldn't be surprised as they make more power than the V8s of just a decade or so ago. Had a 4 in a 87 E-class gray market car but it was a stick. Didn't miss the 6 at all.

I had a GLE 450 suv loaner for 2 months that had the twin turbo V6 that was a very nice engine. It pulled really well but the let down was the 9 or 10 speed transmission that was constantly hunting for the right gear and the funky transmission selector was on a stalk on the right side of the steering wheel that just wasn't very intuitive.

I rented a C220 Bluetec wagon in Germany a few years ago and thought it was a great car as far as driving went. Very smooth, solid feeling and very solid at high speed.

GLE300 just left the shop last week with a dead #1 cylinder at 62k. Dealer serviced until 50. Hes going to try and fight it.

Before we bought the GS350 F Sport, we drove a perfect GS 200t. A 4 cylinder turbo in a big fat Lexus is a joke. A bad joke.
Even my friend the salesman said the 200t was a flat out mistake. Nobody wants 'em; there is a reason for it.
What were those Lexus Bozos thinking?

There is virtually no difference between the better regular models (e.g. Subaru, Toyota, etc.) and the luxury models these days. They score about the same in tests. They have essentially the same safety equipment. The luxury models are a little quieter, have better speakers, have nicer upholstery, and options for bigger engines, but that seems to be about it. They tend to be less reliable and depreciate faster too. MB isn't what it used to be, when you could get 500K+ out of a diesel sedan. Now people dump them when the warranty runs out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Gotta keep up with MB, BMW etc with something equivalent.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Gotta keep up with MB, BMW etc with something equivalent.
21.gif

Also, Europe and China tax based on CO2 emissions and engine displacement. China is a very important market to Mercedes, BMW and Audi - more so with Mercedes.

the Middle East is an important Land Cruiser/LX, Pajero/Patrol, Range Rover, Ferrari and Lambo market in contrast.

I am suprised the engine is so buzzy. We have two 2.0 turbos(2018 Q5 & 2018 A4) and this was something I was looking at during test drive. We had a 2008 X3 with inline 6 which was the smoothest engine I have ever owned too bad the rest of car was junk and a 2007 A6 with 3.2 for reference. The VW/Audi 2.0 is not buzzy at all. This was my concern before purchasing as I was once given a 2005 A4 with same engine and was quite buzzy. So much so I liked my daughters 2008 jetta with a 2.5 more than the audi.

Last edited:
Not all E Classes are the same. Mercedes is one of the few manufacturers left that offer a huge variety of options for each model. That being said, your biggest issue with the stiff ride is that you have the sport model. My 2014 was a sport, and I agree, it was a bit firm in the ride, not exactly what I was looking for. That one had the V6 putting out about 310 HP into a 7 speed auto. The smooth power was great, but the transmission was not smooth!
All the time that I owned it I THOUGHT that an S Class would be the answer to my "problems". Looked at one and brought it home. Nope, too big, no fold down rear seats, big HOT twin turbo V8, just didn't fit into my lifestyle, let alone my garage!

This year I traded it for a 2018 E300 (in that year 300 was the I4 Turbo, 350 was the V6, 400 the V8) luxury model. Made ALL the difference in the world. This car is a VAST improvement over the 2014 v6. This one has air suspension, so it is extremely smooth (also adjustable). It has Extra sound insulation which includes special glass, so immensely quiet. The I4 T is great, smooth, powerful and an eagerly revving engine. This coupled to a 9 speed auto, which is also a huge improvement over the 7 speed. (To my knowledge a 10 speed was never offered). Has almost ALL of the bells and most of the whistles, including active front seats with heat and massage! I don't miss the V6 for a moment!

SO, when it comes to Mercedes, you get what you pay for, and that can be a LOT!

No matter how much power a 4 banger has on paper,they will never have the powerful torquey feel of a V6 or V8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back