Recent Topics
Quiet riding tire
by wolf_06 - 02/17/20 08:27 PM
Where did the Ryan Newman thread go??
by P10crew - 02/17/20 08:02 PM
2013 FX4 repair.
by marine65 - 02/17/20 07:36 PM
New gaming build shutting down on Metro 2033
by Cujet - 02/17/20 07:09 PM
Snapon
by P10crew - 02/17/20 06:51 PM
Conventional or Synthetic
by charmer37 - 02/17/20 06:49 PM
Jeep Wrangler 3.0L Diesel
by HighbrowHillbill - 02/17/20 06:36 PM
94 B4000 overheat Eureka
by HyundaiAbuser - 02/17/20 05:48 PM
PP Euro 5w40 SN Plus formulation VOA
by BurntMusic - 02/17/20 04:35 PM
Bicycle Shops
by CourierDriver - 02/17/20 04:26 PM
EBC Brakes
by hatt - 02/17/20 04:17 PM
Dream Car
by MrQuackers - 02/17/20 04:06 PM
What are people using now for outdoor antennas?
by BAJA_05 - 02/17/20 02:49 PM
3.0L TDI
by Shorthorn - 02/17/20 02:48 PM
Mountain Bike Whee/Tire Sizes!
by jcartwright99 - 02/17/20 02:21 PM
Found this old Fram XG8A on eBay
by blufeb95 - 02/17/20 01:54 PM
2005 Civic Horn Replacement
by cb450sc - 02/17/20 01:51 PM
Newest Members
Tgarst, Predator35001819, Markapuu, jds59, JimMorrison
70728 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
128 registered members (Aero540T, antonmnster, ABerns, 2010Civic, 55hambone, 14 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 28 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,588
Posts5,198,608
Members70,728
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Taking one for the team with Motorcraft #5342729 02/06/20 01:59 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 162
M
mpgo4th Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 162
I've posted a few motorcraft failure pics on here that apparently ticked some of us off. Don't get me wrong, a failed filter is a failed filter but I love the motorcraft brand as a whole. I want to have good results from there filters and also calm some of the "you must have damaged it" folks at the same time. I went ahead amd chamged the oil in my personal expedition with a 3v 5.4 using Motorcraft 5w30 and a Fl820s filter. I'm going to run it for 5,000 then cut ot open. I'm also sending out a sample of oil for analysis and will post all results here. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Re: Taking one for the team with Motorcraft [Re: mpgo4th] #5342737 02/06/20 02:16 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,485
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,485
I guess I would rather use something that does not have a documented history of failure, rather than using one that does and relying on crossed fingers. You know that Bitog isn't the only Internet forum that has shown tearing of this filter, right?

And before someone objects, no I don't use the commonly listed alternative. I use nearly all OEM filters on my vehicles since I prefer ones with either paper or no end caps. I haven't seen any of those tearing yet.


1994 BMW 530i, 251K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 430K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: Taking one for the team with Motorcraft [Re: kschachn] #5342763 02/06/20 02:37 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,479
B
bbhero Online Content
Online Content
B
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,479
Originally Posted by kschachn
I guess I would rather use something that does not have a documented history of failure, rather than using one that does and relying on crossed fingers. You know that Bitog isn't the only Internet forum that has shown tearing of this filter, right?

And before someone objects, no I don't use the commonly listed alternative. I use nearly all OEM filters on my vehicles since I prefer ones with either paper or no end caps. I haven't seen any of those tearing yet.



You know those OEM filters are like way inefficient and aren't worth a darn right ?? LOL

As evidenced by one of your vehicles with like 400k miles.. . And still rolling.


Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
Cam2 SuperproMax 5w30 Carquest r84356 Oil filter
"Treat your family like your friends and treat your friends like your family."
Re: Taking one for the team with Motorcraft [Re: kschachn] #5342798 02/06/20 03:01 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 162
M
mpgo4th Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by kschachn
I guess I would rather use something that does not have a documented history of failure, rather than using one that does and relying on crossed fingers. You know that Bitog isn't the only Internet forum that has shown tearing of this filter, right?

And before someone objects, no I don't use the commonly listed alternative. I use nearly all OEM filters on my vehicles since I prefer ones with either paper or no end caps. I haven't seen any of those tearing yet.


I'm aware and I've been a part of the documentation of their failures. I'm doing this on my own vehicle as a test to see if the use these filters see at my job is part of the failure cause. My personal vehicle is driven and taken much better care of. Of course there are better choices but this is an experiment for me and secondly, if it fails by tearing, I'll have a UOA to see if it even effects it.

Last edited by mpgo4th; 02/06/20 03:02 PM.
Re: Taking one for the team with Motorcraft [Re: kschachn] #5342799 02/06/20 03:01 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,472
C
CT8 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,472
Originally Posted by kschachn
I guess I would rather use something that does not have a documented history of failure, rather than using one that does and relying on crossed fingers. You know that Bitog isn't the only Internet forum that has shown tearing of this filter, right?

And before someone objects, no I don't use the commonly listed alternative. I use nearly all OEM filters on my vehicles since I prefer ones with either paper or no end caps. I haven't seen any of those tearing yet.

I am sure most people don't realize the outside of the filter element is pressurized a few psi above the inside of the filter during normal operation so the fiber caps are more that fine


2015 F150 2.7
2018 F350 6.2
Re: Taking one for the team with Motorcraft [Re: mpgo4th] #5342807 02/06/20 03:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23,823
D
Donald Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23,823
Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I've posted a few motorcraft failure pics on here that apparently ticked some of us off. Don't get me wrong, a failed filter is a failed filter but I love the motorcraft brand as a whole. I want to have good results from there filters and also calm some of the "you must have damaged it" folks at the same time. I went ahead amd chamged the oil in my personal expedition with a 3v 5.4 using Motorcraft 5w30 and a Fl820s filter. I'm going to run it for 5,000 then cut ot open. I'm also sending out a sample of oil for analysis and will post all results here. Fingers crossed that all goes well.


You can get the filter analyzed also.


2015 Ford F-250 w/Powerstroke
2016 Subaru Crosstrek CVT (wife's)
Re: Taking one for the team with Motorcraft [Re: mpgo4th] #5342974 02/06/20 06:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 22,563
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 22,563
Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I'm aware and I've been a part of the documentation of their failures. I'm doing this on my own vehicle as a test to see if the use these filters see at my job is part of the failure cause. My personal vehicle is driven and taken much better care of. Of course there are better choices but this is an experiment for me and secondly, if it fails by tearing, I'll have a UOA to see if it even effects it.


A UOA most likely won't show anything unless the failed filter somehow causes a lack of lubrication (ie, chunk of media clogs an oil passage) that cause a lack of oil damage. Or you run a super long OCI with a torn filter and the oil gets very dirty. If you want to give it a good test, crank up the revs pretty high a few times before the oil is fully warmed up so that the media gets full bypass pressure across it. grin2

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™