2018 Raptor, Best Engine Oil Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only used Royal Purple 5W30 since I purchased the truck new. 28,000 miles currently. My oil change station sold out and now they don't rotate tires or handle RP oil. So, I'm looking for a new service center and therefore also looking for the best oil I can use for having turbos and pulling a boat. I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping this isn't an over asked question.
Thanks in Advance!!!

Last edited:
If your preference is 5W/30 I would look at Amsoil Signature 5W/30 or Amsoil HDD product code. It's a mixed fleet oil, and oil of choice for each of my rides. Pablo can assist you on this. I'm back today after many years away from this forum.

Why not just run Ford OEM oil? We know Ford has put some thought into this, so you really cant go wrong with that. Ford specs WSS-M2C946-A, and for warranty purposes I would stick to something that meets that spec, and you have plenty of oils that are certified; Mobile 1, Pennzoil, any big brand oil really. A lot of newer cars seem to have a digital oil temp built in. If you have one pay some attention to it, see what kinds of oil temps you're hitting when you're towing. I'm sure ford put into consideration towing capacity and all that and you have some sort of oil cooler so your oil shouldnt be getting ridiculously hot the way oil does on a race track.

If you dont mind losing your warranty and want to go rogue Redline is a pretty stout oil, although pricey. Thinking about your situation the key points I see are you have turbos which are hard on oil, you tow a boat, and you live in an area with a hot environment. All of those equate to putting a lot of stress on the oil with heat, so in my opinion having an oil that can handle the heat is a must. The reason I recommend redline is because it's a thick 5w30, and the base oil can handle plenty of heat. I would personally bump up to 5w40 and just run something off the shelf,, but you're asking for the best and I'm just giving you my opinion. I personally run walmart brand synthetic oil, but then my truck never hauls anything and sees very easy driving, so I'm not one of these guys that thinks one should only use the most expensive oil out there because of marketing. Like I mentioned earlier anything off the shelf will suffice, and best vs not the best is only a fraction of a % different otherwise you'd see some numbers on these oil performance graphs every company puts on their bottle and website.

Last edited:
The owners manual gives the specs for the oil requirements. I would study which oils which meet the specs and use one that is blended the thickest. Don't get fooled by posted regurgitated marketing claims.. How much does the boat weigh?

Was that regular RP or the high performance oil? A very popular choice for the Ecoboost engines is Castrol Magnatec or even QSUD both of which I believe carry the Ford requirements and would be good for a 5k oci.

Ill be on the other side of the room..... I know you're in warranty.... but if you want the best, Castrol/ Mobil 1 0w-40.

Lots and lots of options. If you are following a severe service OCI, any synthetic 30 weight should be just fine. Castrol Magnatec and Supertech are an example.
If you are following an extended drain interval, I would pick something at least certed to ACEA A3. Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 is an example.
If the sky is the limit for oil price, I would probably stop myself at something meeting VW 504? Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is an example.

You're in Louisiana, so you don't need a 5w-30; I would probably opt for a 10w-30 if the line of oil offers it.

Oh and yes, this question gets asked a lot.

Originally Posted by JJack
I have only used Royal Purple 5W30 since I purchased the truck new. 28,000 miles currently. My oil change station sold out and now they don't rotate tires or handle RP oil. So, I'm looking for a new service center and therefore also looking for the best oil I can use for having turbos and pulling a boat. I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping this isn't an over asked question.
Thanks in Advance!!!

Since your looking for a new oil change service center, it would be helpful to know what's available in your location.

You have a high-output, turbocharged V6 putting out, what, 450 HP/510 ft-lbs torque? Plus, you're towing?

I'd say your truck and usage call for a heavy-duty oil, especially since the 3.5 EcoBoost engines are known to benefit from a heavier grade of oil (timing chain wear). And the climate you're in is perfect for a HD oil.

I've heard a lot of good things about Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40. I've read here that some consider it to be Mobil's best 40W oil. That is probably what I'd run in it.

If you're super-concerned about staying with what's called for in the book, I'd find a heavier, full-synthetic 5W-30 with an HTHS rating of at least 3.5. I believe Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum EuroLX 5W-30 meet that criteria.

I use regular Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 ESP in 5W30 in my 2019 Raptor and will change at 5,000 mile intervals once I hit 10k

Originally Posted by ad244
Ill be on the other side of the room..... I know you're in warranty.... but if you want the best, Castrol/ Mobil 1 0w-40.

+1

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
Originally Posted by ad244

+1

+2

JJack, I see you live in Lafayette. I work at Fournet's Chevron next to Mel's Diner on Johnston. We don't typically handle RP, mostly Chevron, Havoline, Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge. We can see about special ordering you some if you don't just buy the oil/filter yourself and have us change it for a rack charge. Otherwise we can use M1 5W30 and our filter.

M1 runs 12.95/QT Havoline 11.95 and rotations are about 22.50 before tax.

Come by or give us a call, Talk to Dave https://www.fournetschevron.com/

Thanks - Sam

Originally Posted by Samrsnow
JJack, I see you live in Lafayette. I work at Fournet's Chevron next to Mel's Diner on Johnston. We don't typically handle RP, mostly Chevron, Havoline, Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge. We can see about special ordering you some if you don't just buy the oil/filter yourself and have us change it for a rack charge. Otherwise we can use M1 5W30 and our filter.

M1 runs 12.95/QT Havoline 11.95 and rotations are about 22.50 before tax.

Come by or give us a call, Talk to Dave https://www.fournetschevron.com/

Thanks - Sam

There you go man, service center close by where you're located.

Originally Posted by Brian553
Lots and lots of options. If you are following a severe service OCI, any synthetic 30 weight should be just fine. Castrol Magnatec and Supertech are an example.
If you are following an extended drain interval, I would pick something at least certed to ACEA A3. Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 is an example.
If the sky is the limit for oil price, I would probably stop myself at something meeting VW 504? Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is an example.

You're in Louisiana, so you don't need a 5w-30; I would probably opt for a 10w-30 if the line of oil offers it.

First off, I hope this doesn't come out rude or argumentative. I legitimately want to know what benefits there are to using a 10w30 over a 5w30. It's my understanding that both would act the same a normal operating temp so why worry about the heavier 10 rating at cooler temps? Again I'm asking to understand and learn, not disagree. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
Originally Posted by Brian553

First off, I hope this doesn't come out rude or argumentative. I legitimately want to know what benefits there are to using a 10w30 over a 5w30. It's my understanding that both would act the same a normal operating temp so why worry about the heavier 10 rating at cooler temps? Again I'm asking to understand and learn, not disagree. Thanks.

Benefit of a 10W-30 over a 5W-30:

To explain briefly and in basic terms, a 10W-30 will hold up better over time than a 5W-30, especially in TGDI engines.

Multigrade oils use polymers that are like spaghetti in that, when they heat up, the polymeric molecules stretch out. This has the effect of thickening the oil, which allows it to flow well at lower temps, but also to provide good viscosity and protection at higher temps.

A very basic article on VII:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29842/viscosity-index-improvers

The drawback is that these polymers get chopped up over time and miles, especially in higher powered engines. That results in viscosity loss.

The greater the spread between an oil's winter rating and summer rating, the more of these polymer viscosity index improvers (VII) must be used.

Oils that have a narrower spread tend to hold up better over time. They're more stable, with better Noack volatility ratings. A good, stable oil with a good Noack score is always good, especially for turbocharged engines, and helps prevent coking in the turbo.

And, with the OP being in Louisiana, he's not typically going to see temps low enough to make a 5W or 0W oil necessary.

Again, I'd suggest Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 in that engine. Or, if he really wants to stay with a 30W, I'd go with a thicker 30 like the M1 High Mileage 10W-30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 5W-30, or M1 ESP 5W-30. All of those have HTHS of at least 3.5. So, they'll resist shear and stay in grade in that beast.

It's a premium truck with a high-performance powertrain. It deserves a great oil.

I haven't seen many 5W-30s handle EcoBoost or GTDI engines very well beyond 7500 miles under normal use. Timing chain wear is a big issue that doesn't seem to be shown via UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back