Fiber optic HDMI cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
gold is real. it does not oxidize so the connections stay clean. NOW that said, i have some nickel rca connections that are 20 years old and still rock solid. maybe in a moist environment (car and marine audio) it would make a big difference.

high current contacts like ipad chargers it makes a big difference.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
d_y

Good response''

spend a few decades at Bell Labs.

Last job was helping production set up to build and repair fiber optic long haul "repeaters"
that did not do glass to copper to glass in the amp chain.

Magic stuff

Yes I am pretty much a key cog in building up the digital long haul infrastructure though Lucent Tech and AT&T.

.... Pats self on back and dislocates shoulder ....
smile.gif

Huh, that is cool !! Did you ever get to work with Nortel, Corvis or Ciena hardware ? like maybe OC-192 or OC-768 for 4000 km, purely optical. Or perhaps Infinera hardware.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
d_y

Good response''

spend a few decades at Bell Labs.

Last job was helping production set up to build and repair fiber optic long haul "repeaters"
that did not do glass to copper to glass in the amp chain.

Magic stuff

Yes I am pretty much a key cog in building up the digital long haul infrastructure though Lucent Tech and AT&T.

.... Pats self on back and dislocates shoulder ....
smile.gif

Huh, that is cool !! Did you ever get to work with Nortel, Corvis or Ciena hardware ? like maybe OC-192 or OC-768 for 4000 km, purely optical. Or perhaps Infinera hardware.

NO, we made our own stuff. I was never in the central offices, but over at the manufacturing plant next to the Labs Building.Job was to to plan and setup lean production for new complex product
Yes OC-48, OC-192.

It was sort of cool but frustrating and stressful at the same time as the Fiorina as VP (and to some extent Schacht ) were busy pushing outsourcing of all production jobs and a lot of engineers were leaving - and guess who got all their responsibilities?

Loved the Paycheck, hated the place.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by wag123
Digital is digital, if the 1's and 0's can get there uninterrupted, you aren't going to be able to discern a difference.

Yep.

People said that about CD when they came out.

most CD players** for over a decade did not meet S/P white paper spec for noise and distortion for a 16 bit 44khz sample.

They had high error correction and concealment rates.

Time splitting is analogue and its a BIG part of digital data transfer

Jitter is a data killer.

A CD player is reading digital data and typically converting it to analog unless you are piping it to a separate DAC. We are discussing a simple transport medium for digital data with no intermediate processing steps; vastly more simple. It's like saying that one Toslink cable that's $500 is better than one that's $30 even if they are byte-identical at the endpoint. It doesn't work that way. The idea that a "better" cable will improve the experience with digital media if the data is already getting there properly is simply capitalization on ignorance and the the legacy of high end analog cables where EMI and other sources of "noise" could in fact be mitigated with better, and more isolated, mediums.

I agreed, that was a leap, but i didn't mean to infer they were the same. The analogue naysayers didn't understand S/P and all the pitfalls. I knew the sound coming out of these gizmos was flawed in strange ways and spent a decade learning why.

Now many forget error concealment, you can get subtle artifacts in the display before you reach frame freeze or muting.
IN video, a short hop with a decent HDMI cable should be pretty solid. The problem is more in the engines than the transmission - at least at 1080P.

I would say the major improvement with a good glass fiber V plastic is high data x-mssn rates and multimode capability
I have not even studied video 4K signal requirements.

And cleanliness at the interface is prerequisite, the use of a CLETOP cleaner moments before insertion in a ion flooded environment helps avoid undue attenuation and interface damage.

Last edited:
Don't forget, for those of us still using CD's to play music, to take a green marker and "paint" the edge as the faithful believe that color most effectively "absorbs" the light from the laser's infrared beam leading to improved sound. Don't forget to coat the bottom of the CD with Armor All that was in fashion in the early days and we all know the "Old Guys" here have knowledge of all things important.

Originally Posted by Saabist
CDs? I'm still using vinyl at home and tape in the car.

Why not just have the band in there with you instead?

Originally Posted by Rick505
Don't forget, for those of us still using CD's to play music, to take a green marker and "paint" the edge as the faithful believe that color most effectively "absorbs" the light from the laser's infrared beam leading to improved sound. Don't forget to coat the bottom of the CD with Armor All that was in fashion in the early days and we all know the "Old Guys" here have knowledge of all things important.

Oh I recall that. How bout thouse colourful stick on absorbers along the circumference - of doulbe stacking CD.

Points to a problem in the stability of the spinning CD - the forgotton analog part of digital - TIME.

But all Digital isn't terrible, just listen to a DAT recording v a CD pressing.
Or a decent recording made employing the soundcard on your computer. - like a vinyl rip.

But a digital zero VU has to be avoided - no +6 VU allowed here*. So now the effective S/N and dynamic range is back to TAPE and Vinyl level in practice.

Plus add that you can hear music below the noise floor in analogue and not in digital.

I think the CD duplicators and poor pressings** caused extra agita in the S/P design. never mind cheap DD motor cogging
and vibrating discs.

* yes I understand there are digital soft peak limiter fixes.

** resulting in poorly defined pit edges

Last edited:
If one has to run an HDMI a distance then they can use one of the HDMI>Ethernet>HDMI converters. Optical (FO) cables are not as easy to go around corners and are more prone to damage and expense when replacing them.

Originally Posted by dubber09
If one has to run an HDMI a distance then they can use one of the HDMI>Ethernet>HDMI converters.

Yup. That's what I used in my old house. Worked OK for 1080p. Not sure if it's got enough bandwidth for 4K.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
If one has to run an HDMI a distance then they can use one of the HDMI>Ethernet>HDMI converters.

Yup. That's what I used in my old house. Worked OK for 1080p. Not sure if it's got enough bandwidth for 4K.

They are available in 4K. Most of them aren't bi-directional though, so they won't do ARC.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

They are available in 4K. Most of them aren't bi-directional though, so they won't do ARC.

Whatever they sent me for HDMI is ARC and 4k.Bought a Sony 4k and Crutchfield sent out both. Glad I didn't use old HDMI cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back