2018 + Honda Goldwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here own one? I admit I've never been a GW fan over the years, but this new one has me intrigued, especially the one with the DCT. I've watch quite a few You Tube video reviews and they all rant and rave about how well it performs in every aspect. The price seems reasonable too, considering the prices of its competition...

I test rode a 2018 with the automatic DCT when they first came out. The local dealer had a demo bike they were begging people to try out.
I really liked it. If I were to upgrade to a new bike today, I would go for a Goldwing with the DCT.

The one gripe I have with the 2018 and up models is that they reduced the storage capacity/volume of the trunk and sidebags. The 2017 and before had larger capacity/volume. My friend's 2015 Victory has about double the storage space than this new Goldwing.

I currently own a 2009 Goldwing, and before that, had a 2002 Goldwing. Around 150,000 miles on the two.

The increase in the performance factor of the 2018/19/20 is very notable over my 2009. But as already mentioned, the cargo capacity was slashed... and that's a huge deal for me, especially when I take off for a week or two.

Because of the decrease in the carrying capacity, I would actually consider a BMW Grand America for my next ride.

The reduced storage seems to be a common complaint with '18 and up models. Also, apparently the plastic, or plexiglass lens covering the gauges scratches very easily when cleaning it. Some guys are using various plastic or plexiglass polishes to get rid of, or minimize the scratches. Some say the best thing to do is to place a protective film over the lens, which I'm told is much like a screen saver for your smart phone, when it's new to prevent these scratches. For me and my wife, the storage capacity would be fine for day trips, or maybe even overnight trips, but for longer trips, I would look into getting a trailer. I've talked to guys who have done so and they say the bike handles pulling a trailer with ease, even when going uphill with the cruise set...they say the bike produces so much torque that they've rarely had it downshift when pulling a trailer...

Originally Posted by Ride_Red
I test rode a 2018 with the automatic DCT when they first came out. The local dealer had a demo bike they were begging people to try out.
I really liked it. If I were to upgrade to a new bike today, I would go for a Goldwing with the DCT.

The one gripe I have with the 2018 and up models is that they reduced the storage capacity/volume of the trunk and sidebags. The 2017 and before had larger capacity/volume. My friend's 2015 Victory has about double the storage space than this new Goldwing.

They also (unforgivably) reduced fuel capacity. Someone I ride with was ready to write a check for a new Tour model, he rode his 2011 to the dealer to trade it in. Test rode the new model, rode his 2011 home, and said it's his last Goldwing; if he replaces it, it will be with a BMW K1600. There are some riders who are not impressed with reduced fuel & storage capacity on a long-distance touring bike!

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

They also (unforgivably) reduced fuel capacity. Someone I ride with was ready to write a check for a new Tour model, he rode his 2011 to the dealer to trade it in. Test rode the new model, rode his 2011 home, and said it's his last Goldwing; if he replaces it, it will be with a BMW K1600. There are some riders who are not impressed with reduced fuel & storage capacity on a long-distance touring bike!

The new GW is superior to the K1600 in almost every way...even with the reduced fuel and storage capacities, I'd still take the GW...

I saw that they reduced the fuel capacity. From what I've read, the MPG is supposed to be better and therefore Honda says that range should be about the same.
21.gif

I kind of like the new Wings too, doubt I would go for the DCT but bikes are an individual decision.
Im writing this based on the review, seems DCT might affect low speed operation.
Anyway, ever since they went to a six speed, they are on my like list.
Plus of course you can always pick one up at a reasonable discounted price.

Past wings I was not thrilled with paint/plastics quality. I can see some upset over reducing the gas tank by a full gallon but at 5.5 just barely still acceptable to me. I do wonder about tire life, an issue with many metrics, if I cant get 13,000 + out of a rear tire it might be a deal killer.
I always dreaded the metric valve clearance checks but at 24k maybe that is ok.

https://ridermagazine.com/2019/12/20/2019-honda-gold-wing-dct-road-test-review/

Below is a comparison with BMW
https://ridermagazine.com/2018/04/27/2018-bmw-k-1600-gtl-vs-honda-gold-wing-tour-comparo-review/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I kind of like the new Wings too, doubt I would go for the DCT but bikes are an individual decision.
Im writing this based on the review, seems DCT might affect low speed operation.

My test ride was the first time I ever rode a DCT bike. Took me about 5 minutes and everything was fine. I still reached for the clutch a few times, but no problems at low speed in traffic or at stop lights. If you are used to a bike that requires high revs to take off, then maybe it will take a bit longer to get used to it.

I agree that the new Wing is a good looking bike! While I'm (hopefully) a little younger than the target audience.. and I ride a small sportbike..I am very intrigued by the new Goldwing.

As far as reduced storage capacity, I'm sure the aftermarket will provide plenty of options for more storage.

I have a friend that has one and really likes it. He had a '13 and has a '04 in Europe that he tours on (over 150,000 miles on that one).
He said the DCT is really weird to get used to after 60 years riding, but it does not take long to get used to.
The one gripe I have with the 2018 and up models is that they reduced the storage capacity/volume of the trunk and sidebags. ...

My friend said that is the one major gripe about the new model. His old one holds 2 full face helmets in the trunk, but the new one can't (he can fit a full size and a 3/4 though).

I saw that they reduced the fuel capacity. From what I've read, the MPG is supposed to be better and therefore Honda says that range should be about the same.
21.gif

That is the experience my friend had, said range is about the same overall. He was a little concerned when he got it, but after a few trips, he realized it was a non-issue.

I've ridden a newest generation Goldwing about 1000 miles. For a big, underpowered bike, they are nice.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I've ridden a newest generation Goldwing about 1000 miles. For a big, underpowered bike, they are nice.

Under powered is relative to the buyer.
Any sources of actual track tests? Speed times such as 0 to 60? 1/4 mile?

I bet it is faster then most automobiles on the road and most likely within a second or two of anything in its class as we are talking a motorcycle cruiser here, equal of an Automobile SUV such as a GMC Denali. You dont buy a Denali and wish for the speed of a Camaro. though the Goldwing is most likely faster then most Camaros on the road.

I have been searching but cant find the answer yet I am sure it would blow away most cars on the road.

Last edited:

That's funny.

I have a ST1300 (V4, ~120hp, 760lbs) and it is heavy. In no way do I consider it under powered. Loaded down for a two-week trip, crossing North Dakota with a fierce head wind, 80+mph, all day, never a problem. The Goldwing is even more powerful.

The test ride I had on the 2018 Goldwing was like riding a magic carpet. Twist and go. No worries. Whatever speed you want. Up a hill. Into the wind. It didn't matter.
They may not be the fastest or quickest bike on the street, but it certainly has more power than you would ever need.

Just under 110 foot pounds of torque at 1,200 RPM in an approximate 800 lb machine...

Compared to what motorcycle is the GoldWing either big or underpowered in its class? Kicks the ever-loving stuffing out of the BMW K1600 in terms of a touring power band.

Unless 125 horses at 8000 RPM and not reaching a hundred foot pounds until well over 4000 RPM is the idea of enough power in an 800 pound touring bike?

I had an ST 1300, really enjoyed it. Torque is what does your work out on the road and that 1261 CC V4 had it in spades where you wanted it.

Originally Posted by grampi

21.gif

People will nit pick everything...the new GW has so few flaws, the nit picks almost have to be made up.

A 25% reduction in storage space (less than even the old GL1500!) is not a "nit pick" on something usually bought as a dedicated long-distance touring bike!

That's funny.

I have a ST1300 (V4, ~120hp, 760lbs) and it is heavy. In no way do I consider it under powered. Loaded down for a two-week trip, crossing North Dakota with a fierce head wind, 80+mph, all day, never a problem. The Goldwing is even more powerful.

The test ride I had on the 2018 Goldwing was like riding a magic carpet. Twist and go. No worries. Whatever speed you want. Up a hill. Into the wind. It didn't matter.
They may not be the fastest or quickest bike on the street, but it certainly has more power than you would ever need.

As mentioned by another, underpowered is relative, and a matter of opinion.

Compared to our current streetbikes, it is very heavy and underpowered. It's still a nice machine for it's intended purpose.

"Compared to our current street bikes", is a 2018+ Goldwing not a current street bike? What is your current ride you are comparing to?

Is a Yamaha R1 or a Honda CBR1000R, or a Ninja ZX10 a current street bike? Or a Kawasaki C14 or a Yamaha FJR 1300, or BMW R1200RT? Would a Harley-Davidson or a Indian touring bike not be current because they would be slower and heavier than the Gold Wing?

All of the nit picking aside we're talking two different classes of bikes. Like comparing an SUV to sportier car. No one would expect one to be like the other.

It's just an opinion. Neither you nor anyone else needs to agree with it.

Compared to OUR current streetbikes, as in the streetbikes my wife and I own.

I did say it was a nice bike for it's intended purpose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back